Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big green forge.

Options
gmac
gmac Posts: 1,814
I've started using the egg to heat treat some high carbon steel blades. It's what I have so I make do. 

Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,345
    Options
    Do you blow air in thru the bottom vent?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• gmac
    Options
    Shop vac on blow. 

• gmac
    Options
    Gets hot. 

• gmac
    Options
    Ok. This little pocket cleaver is going to be given away. It is going to the person that this forum thinks is the most helpful and does the most for the BGE community. I will make a separate thread if needed so we can all vote but this is my gift to the person that you all think we couldn't live without. 
    Stay tuned. 
    Ps. Post heat treat and I added the brand so Yeti doesn't sue me. 

It was right side up when I took the picture. 
  • bigbadben
    bigbadben Posts: 397
    Options
    I have thought of that.  I assume it is cheaper to run a firebrick/weed burner forge off 20 lbs propane containers
  • gmac
    Options
    I cooked a chicken, opened the vents, probably cost me $2 in charcoal but I'm heat treating not really forging. 
  • gmac
    Options
    See...my chicken. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Definitely appreciate the way to get it done with the tools available.  Your skill set is expanding with every piece of steel.  Looks like another great outcome.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.