Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking both Boston Butt and Brisket on my XL?

Options
doing a pretty big cookout this weekend and was wondering if you guys have ever cooked both Boston Butt and Briaket at the same time? Just wondering if there are any issues to watch for while cooking. I will be cooking indirect so just didn't know about the beef and pork together issues. Please just give me your thoughts. Thanks

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    It's no problem.  Most would advise brisket over butt.  Others will tell you it doesn't matter.  It probably doesn't.  Be sure you have an adequate sized drip pan with an air gap.  Sounds like a banquet!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,392
    Options
    Here's a link to a thread on the topic:

Whole Packer Brisket and a Pork Butt at Same Time -- Any advice?  

Give the search function here a look, several threads on this subject.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options

Bro, you got this.  If you get any considerable over-hang beyond your plate setter, just fold up some HDAF and protect the butt until you have enough shrinkage to re-center things.

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • BGE1983
    BGE1983 Posts: 12
    Options
    Awesome thanks guys
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    ive done it at least three times and all three produced epic results.   I did used cgs adj rig and had brisky on middle rack and pork shoulders up top.  Brisky was 17 lbs and each butt was 9 lbs so brisky went on first and shoulders were added about 8 hrs into the cook.  It was all done at the same time.  My gen rule is 210 lower grate level temp and 1.5 hr per lb, cranking it up to 250-275 with about 3 hrs left in cook time dependimg on how the brisky and the shoulders feel....

use whatever temp u want that works for you but id youre not using a vertical stacking system be sure to foil shield any meat edges in the direct path of rising heat fyi

• Mikea5232
    Mikea5232 Posts: 76
    Options
    I did both.  Butt in top of brisket. 250° grid temp.  had brisket set out an hour before i put in.  Butt came right out from the fridge.  Both finished the same time for me.  203 IT