Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pho stew

never figured the soup thing out, it always turns into stew. heres what to do with that idiotic tri tip cut up steaks

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Looks fine, but yeah, maybe needs at least another 1/2 cup of broth to be called soup. Most of the places I've had either pho or ramen have enough liquid that everything is submerged except maybe a soft boiled egg, and the garnishes.
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    I would belly up for a bowl of that in a second. 

Looks delicious. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    gdenby said:
    Looks fine, but yeah, maybe needs at least another 1/2 cup of broth to be called soup. Most of the places I've had either pho or ramen have enough liquid that everything is submerged except maybe a soft boiled egg, and the garnishes.
    i think some of my problem was sampling the broth too much ahead of time, never cooked beef broth with star anise, cinnamon, ginger, fish sauce etc. i would have been just as happy just drinking the broth
    fukahwee maine

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    I like pho - did you have noodles in it?
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    gdenby said:
    i think some of my problem was sampling the broth too much ahead of time, never cooked beef broth with star anise, cinnamon, ginger, fish sauce etc. i would have been just as happy just drinking the broth
    Maybe, just maybe...but you have often commented on my various forms of soup that I love and can't do without! For some reason which only you can explain you don't seem to like soups in general. I OTOH only grew up eating chili soup, but after adulthood and making my own soups then I'm a soup nut and regularly enjoy them for my lunches! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    You're on the right track.  I live in one of the largest Vietnamese communities in the country.  And I'm a pho phanatic. 

Made 9 qts a few weeks back. 

Friend of mine owns Pho Tau Bay in NOLA.

Anyway, everyone's pho recipe is a secret, so it seems, but this is pretty much the basics.  http://www.vietworldkitchen.com/blog/2008/10/pho-beef-noodle-soup.html  Spices...sometimes less is more...this is where you can make it your own. 

To make a really rich pho, add plenty of joints with cartilage.  A "mi chang" cheat is to add some unflavored gelatin.  If it doesn't turn into a block of jelly when you refrigerate it, it needs more gelatin.

It's a hell of a lot of work to make from scratch, but worth it if you're feeding a bunch of people.

I love Pho.
    Thanks for the details and recipe @nolaegghead
    Someday I'll man up to make a pot, as it is, it's just too easy to run out and get a bowl.  Around me there is one in every old strip mall...  soon as the rent goes down they put in a latin markets and beef noodle soup joints.  No complaints here!

LBGE/Maryland
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,008
    edited April 2017
    That's some lovely looking pho bo, nice!

I'm also a big fan of Vietnamese food and love some good pho. I use the recipe below for pho ga, it's not that much effort and makes enough for breakfast throughout the week. Damn healthy too, was a major factor in shedding 19kg over three months.

https://www.thecooksdigest.com/2016/05/14/pho-ga-vietnamese-chicken-noodle-soup/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    You're on the right track.  I live in one of the largest Vietnamese communities in the country.  And I'm a pho phanatic. 

Made 9 qts a few weeks back. 

Friend of mine owns Pho Tau Bay in NOLA.

Anyway, everyone's pho recipe is a secret, so it seems, but this is pretty much the basics.  http://www.vietworldkitchen.com/blog/2008/10/pho-beef-noodle-soup.html  Spices...sometimes less is more...this is where you can make it your own. 

To make a really rich pho, add plenty of joints with cartilage.  A "mi chang" cheat is to add some unflavored gelatin.  If it doesn't turn into a block of jelly when you refrigerate it, it needs more gelatin.

It's a hell of a lot of work to make from scratch, but worth it if you're feeding a bunch of people.

except for the added sugar and using boxed broth, thats pretty much the same recipe i used.  i added some shrooms and subbed thin sliced jalapenos as well. will do it from scratch next time. 
    fukahwee maine