Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st cook in the books, and lived to tell about it

Options
Had a great time breaking in my new large yesterday.  Got the charcoal going and surprisingly got it tuned in at 250 degrees with no difficulty, then added some pecan chunks.  On went the 8.5 pound pork butt rubbed with Bad Byrons.  Threw a rack of baby backs rubbed with dizzy dust on around 11 so we had something to snack on while waiting for the butt.  Sauced the ribs up with some basic Stubbs BBQ sauce after passing the bend test and kept on another 25 minutes.  After 14 hours (3 hour stall at 165) at 250 and no foil we hit 200 internal on the butt.  The butt shredded with ease and finished off with some homemade Eastern Carolina style vinegar sauce.  My buddy and his girlfriend joined my wife and I for the ceremonial first cook.  Most importantly we enjoyed a growler of Yards Thomas Jefferson Tavern Ale, and  Yuengling the rest of the day.  Was happy with the food, but always room for improvement.  Learned a lot in my first day, and looking forward to learning even more.  Thanks for looking.  

L BGE
Paoli, PA

Instagram

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Coming out strong. Nice job. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Welcome!  Nice cook.  I really wish I could get some Yards down here.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Dang-  great start right there.  Definitely nailed it across the board.  Congrats on the inaugural right of passage.  
    And regarding how to check for the rib finish-line.  I am a big fan of the toothpick test ( for any rib cook) -insert into the thick rib meat, no resistance and you are there.  Faster and easier for me than the bend test, and is the only way with half racks.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • OmahaOne
    OmahaOne Posts: 154
    Options
    Nicely done. I learned to love the Carolina vinegar based sauce when I was stationed there. Any chance you can share your recipe?
    XL BGE - Indianapolis, IN
  • Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    Options
  • Gman2
    Gman2 Posts: 421
    Options
    Nice job right there. Looks great. 
    LBGE, Mechanicsville, Va., LBGE, Duck, NC, XLBGE Wake, Va.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Strong start Brother.... 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • BJM2932
    BJM2932 Posts: 119
    Options
    OmahaOne said:
    Nicely done. I learned to love the Carolina vinegar based sauce when I was stationed there. Any chance you can share your recipe?
    This was my first time making it, and just a recipe I found online.  It got a thumbs up from my wife who is from NC.  From what i've read, adding ketchup is sacrilegious to purists, but decided to stick with the recipe.  Definitely follow the instructions of letting it rest, the flavor profile was much different after sitting in the fridge.  Enjoy!  
    • 2 cups apple cider vinegar 
    • 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar 
    • 1 tablespoon ketchup 
    • 1 tablespoon Texas Pete's 
    • 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes 
    • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper 
    • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
    1. Place all of the ingredients in a small, non-reactive sauce pan and bring to a boil. Whisk until the sugar and salt is completely dissolved, remove from heat, and allow to cool to room temperature. 
    2. Pour the sauce into a jar or squeeze bottle and let rest in the refrigerator one day before using.

L BGE
    Paoli, PA

Instagram

• camofreak
    camofreak Posts: 161
    Options
    Man you went big to start off with. Looks like you did an awesome job too. I'm new to the egg too. I just got my large about 3 weeks ago. I've done some ribs that turned out great. A butt or brisket in my near future.
    Green Eggin' in South Carolina
    Go Gamecocks!!!
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Man what a great start. Looking forward to seeing your future cooks. Obviously not your first BBQ.
    Snellville, GA

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Nice cook.  Well done.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Nice first cook! Love the shirt too, Don't hassle me I'm local!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Great looking first cook. Here's to many more...
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• Rte1985
    Rte1985 Posts: 304
    Options
    Now that's a proper way to break in a new egg!  Good job!  I don't foil either and the stall can take a while.  I also am a huge fan of Carolina sauce.  I make my own and find all kinds of things to put it on!  
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    Congratulations on a great break in cook! Everything looks very good. Have fun with the new egg! 

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    Welcome. Nice first cook

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Way to hit the ground running.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• CodyA88
    CodyA88 Posts: 143
    Options
    Wow.. looks like a perfect first cook with the perfect accompaniment!  Well done and welcome!
    LBGE, 28" Blackstone
    Georgia
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    Very impressive for a 1st or 500th cook!  Nice work!
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    That's definitely coming out of the gate strong.

Well done, @BJM2932
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Beautiful....just beautiful.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    Great cook(s) - not sure what's prettier, a brand new clean egg of the way they begin looking after the addiction has quickly set in and they replace the oven!  Enjoy the ride, you are off to an amazing start!
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Winning! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• BJM2932
    BJM2932 Posts: 119
    Options
    da87 said:
    Great cook(s) - not sure what's prettier, a brand new clean egg of the way they begin looking after the addiction has quickly set in and they replace the oven!  Enjoy the ride, you are off to an amazing start!
    The addiction has already set in, thanks for the feedback!  Doug, I'm actually just a stones throw away from you in Paoli.  
    L BGE
    Paoli, PA

Instagram