Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- New Pc Setup

Options
Livinloud5
Livinloud5 Posts: 61
edited April 2017 in Off Topic
I have been without a PC or Laptop for about 1 1/2 years now, anything I have done device wise or online has been from my iPhone 7 or iPad :o .  Well I recently knocked out some debt, cleared up some play money and got this!

Alienware Aurora
Dual 27" 4k Monitors
I7
GTX1080
2TB HD
256 SSD

My original plan was to gather all of the components that I wanted and build my own. The bug bit me so I went out and got this instead. I'll either get spoiled with this one and build what I want soon, or mod this one to my liking.

Planning to do some minor gaming and lots of video editing.

What's everyone else using?

Blake.
The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves!

Comments

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Nice.  I thought I was something moving up to a Dell XPS system.  Those specs are certainly a lot nicer!  

Enjoy!  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • TN_Sister_State
    TN_Sister_State Posts: 1,130
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I dont have anything special but it works well as my media server along with my 4tb qnap nas. The 19 in monitors were freebies from the office. This is also my wfh station. I enjoy it.

Intel Core i3 2nd Gen 2100 (3.10 GHz)
    8 GB DDR3
    320 GB HDD
    Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit
    Intel HD Graphics 2000

Not to mention the 50 inch plasma, There is a couch behind the picture for naps, breaks and the like.  ;)

This was after an On-Call night that went all night. 
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• InfectedDAS
    InfectedDAS Posts: 211
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Two years old PC still getting things done and playing games, specs, if I recall correctly, are:
    -MSI 970 Gaming Motherboard
    -256GB SSD Crucial
    -1TB HDD Western Digital Black
    -EVGA 750 watts power supply
    -MSI R9 270X gaming
    -AMD 8350FX Black edition
    -16Gb RAM (right now)

Right now I have more HDDs....space can be troublesome.

Cable management:

Setup on the old house:

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I just upgraded the video card in my PC to a 1080 so the Oculus Rift I got for Christmas would work.  I also had to overclock my early gen i7 to barely meet the specs for it.  This was a custom build and it's still more or less running pretty well.
    NOLA
  • PlanSB
    PlanSB Posts: 90
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I use MS Surface Pro for work, it's a decent machine. At home I use 2015 13.3" MBP and 27" iMac.  Always was a PC guy until I finally bit the bullet and bought the MBP ~2 years ago, loved it so much that I bought an iMac shortly after.  Will probably never buy another PC again.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Just thankfully got my rig updated.  Finally added the 4th and 5th monitor I was wanting.  

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    I'm running a the baddest Macbook Pro that money can buy for my daily development machine.

I have a PC that I built that has 2 Quad Core Xenon chips with 32gigs of RAM and 2 terabytes of RAID storage (SATA) that is striped and mirrored. 5 fans in that mother and Heat sinks on the CPUs as well as each memory stick along with a 1 kilowatt power supply. I used it for running VMs back when I was developing for the Microsoft platform. 

I've been thinking about pulling it out, dusting it off and turning it into a Ubuntu server.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options

congrats!  I bet that's a speedy setup! 

I don't have anything fancy, but I got a notebook last year with a SSD.  that is life-changing stuff.

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,344
    edited April 2017
    Options

Dell R530
    Twin Xeon E5 processors
    64GB RAM
    4 1TB SSD RAID10
    Serving up Vsphere/ESXi
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    PlanSB said:
    I use MS Surface Pro for work, it's a decent machine. At home I use 2015 13.3" MBP and 27" iMac.  Always was a PC guy until I finally bit the bullet and bought the MBP ~2 years ago, loved it so much that I bought an iMac shortly after.  Will probably never buy another PC again.
    I did it the other way. I bought the 27" iMac first then the 15" MBP two years ago this month
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• Livinloud5
    Options
    Nice setups in here!

Blake.
    The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves!
  • platypusrex
    platypusrex Posts: 225
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @Livinloud5 Congrats! That's quite a step up...

@cazzy Dayum. Love the mounted systems too, well done.

I use a 5K 27-inch iMac, 3.2GHz i5, 24GB RAM, 2TB Fusion drive, and a custom built Windoze 10 3.9 GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 256GB SSD and qty 2 1TB 7200 HDDs

Also have a new 13 inch Macbook Pro, no touchbar, did not see the need

LBGE, platesetter, Stoker wifi, StokerX Mac software, Pit Pal for iOS, @HerringBigEgg on Twitter, joined forum in 2008
    Austin, TX
  • InfectedDAS
    InfectedDAS Posts: 211
    Options
    @cazzy wow!!
    Im in love with that setup, how's the db noise??
  • blind99
    Options
    @cazzy wow!!
    I think he's messing with us. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    blind99 said:
    @cazzy wow!!
    I think he's messing with us. 
    @cazzy's actual setup...

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Got my new work laptop this week, new 15" Macbook Pro. They sent along an Apple multi-port USB-A, USB-C, HDMI adapter.  Turns out that thing is a bit of crap, it drives 1080p fine, but not 4K. Ordered a Thunderbolt 3 to DisplayPort cable that arrived today. Finally have thing set. 1080p portrait oriented display on the left, 4K center, MBP on right.

Haven't had a Mac for work in about 7 years, nice bit of kit.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    edited April 2017
    Options
    2008 24" imac
    2009 15" macbook pro

both still going strong and no desire to upgrade, yet
  • Thomasc18
    Thomasc18 Posts: 197
    Options
    Looks good!
    Madison, AL
  • blind99
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @dmw when I finally got a mac I thought damn! This thing never crashes, amazing! That's a sweet setup you've got. 

My new $10 computer! Pi zero w is in that tiny white case. Running retropie.  Really all I want to play is elevator action. 
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Just thankfully got my rig updated.  Finally added the 4th and 5th monitor I was wanting.  

@cazzy Do you have a "dialing wand" to push the reset buttons on those PC's?
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Hotch said:
    cazzy said:

@cazzy Do you have a "dialing wand" to push the reset buttons on those PC's?
    I'm not sure how he does it, but I guess a dialing wand would work.   ;)
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    cazzy said:

Excuse my ignorance, but why would a person need 5 monitors and that much firepower at home? I have my hands and attention full just using my single iMac. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    RRP said:
    cazzy said:

Excuse my ignorance, but why would a person need 5 monitors and that much firepower at home? I have my hands and attention full just using my single iMac. 
    Hands full Ron?  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    RRP said:
    cazzy said:

He is a stay at home Dad with kids!!! ;)
    I would have the same setup!!
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Hotch said:
    RRP said:
    cazzy said:

He is a stay at home Dad with kids!!! ;)
    I would have the same setup!!
    Would be cheaper to hire a Nanny...lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Guess I need to up my game....

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• ToTheMax
    ToTheMax Posts: 150
    Options
    I build my machine about 10 years ago, and then have been slowly swapping out parts as something gets slow. I think the only thing that's original is the case at this point, even my monitor broke last year.

I have an i7, some unknown amount of RAM, a SSD, a regular HD, video card, stuff i'm forgetting about and some wires ;).

I don't use it much, some photo editing, and backing up of files to the HDD.
    Northern Virginia
    LBGE ~'14
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Anyone else feel like this thread is written in another language?

Greensboro, NC
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    cazzy said:

JeeEeeee... looks like NASA brah

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf