Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Curry ... bit of a revelation/dismissing preconceptions (with pics)

Options
Stormbringer
Stormbringer Posts: 2,082
edited April 2017 in Pork
For years I had been under the impression (or had a preconception) that a curry was a hot and heavy based sauce dish from India. However, this myth was dispelled recently when we went to a local Indian restaurant. The owner explained that "curry" as I knew it, i.e. the hot sauce, originated from Sylhat, and is effectively Bangladeshi food. I live and learn.

After a bit of research, we decided to try cooking a "proper" curry. It was cooked on the gas hob, however after seeing @Eoin cooking lamb madras on their Egg, I think this could easily be transferred to cooking in an Egg, adding a little smoke into the onion and pork mix. This is in the plan for the upcoming summer months. :D

Recipe is below, it's really simple:

https://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk/2017/04/07/simple-pork-curry/

Served with coriander garnish:

Fancy overhead shot:

It was served with steamed rice and a side dish of potato and aubergine curry, recipe for this is here:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
| Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
| My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

Comments

• dopey
    dopey Posts: 201
    Options
    Looks amazing.  Curry is multi cultural and Thai curry is one of my favorites to make, quick and relatively light with a good amount of heat.  With different pastes you can make something new nearly every time you cook it. 
    What I do when I'm black out drunk is none of my business...

John Central CT
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Nice work.  We cook various curry dishes 3 or 4 times a month.  Amazing how some people hate it and others think it's a single spice.
    Options
    nola - when do you sleep? How much sleep do you get a night?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Curry is worth staying up for. 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    YukonRon said:
     wish I wasn't! neuropathy been driving me nuts since 1PM
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Sleeping is over-rated.
    Options
    RRP said:
    YukonRon said:
     wish I wasn't! neuropathy been driving me nuts since 1PM
    Hope things get better. 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • RRP
    Options
    Sleeping is over-rated.
    doesn't your butt drag during the day or are you just wired to not need much sleep?
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    @Stormbringer, that looks great.  My favourite 'curry' types are from Southern India / Sri Lanka, I use an old Sainsburys book 'The Cooking of Southern India' the most and tend to adapt around that.
  • Stormbringer
    Options
    dopey said:
    Looks amazing.  Curry is multi cultural and Thai curry is one of my favorites to make, quick and relatively light with a good amount of heat.  With different pastes you can make something new nearly every time you cook it. 
    That's pretty much what I learned. Also it explained the derivation of Thai curry as a food genre. I bought a few cookbooks, working my way through them now.

Next up will be naan bread cooked directly on an inverted platesetter. :D
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire

• nolaegghead
    Options
    RRP said:
    Sleeping is over-rated.
    doesn't your butt drag during the day or are you just wired to not need much sleep?
    my butt drags if I sleep too much, ironically. 

edited April 2017
    Options
    RRP said:
    Sleeping is over-rated.
    my butt drags if I sleep too much, ironically. 

Ha! You are wired differently aren't you? Then I'll do the butt dragging for both of us today for completely opposite reasons.
  • Stormbringer
    Options
    I'm sure I am missing an in-joke between you two, however the continued references to pork butt have strengthened my resolve to try this again. Using the Egg. :)

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Inspired me to try!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • RRP
    Options
    I'm sure I am missing an in-joke between you two, however the continued references to pork butt have strengthened my resolve to try this again. Using the Egg. :)
    You mean between nola and me? There is no joke. He needs very little sleep and I on the other hand get very little sleep. Check the time stamps before they go away. Many nights he and I are the only ones up.
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    dopey said:
    That's pretty much what I learned. Also it explained the derivation of Thai curry as a food genre. I bought a few cookbooks, working my way through them now.

Next up will be naan bread cooked directly on an inverted platesetter. :D
    I tried chapatis on the platesetter after doing some chicken and it was too hot. It would be easier to control the stone temperature on an indirect stone.
  • Stormbringer
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    Inspired me to try!
    Woohoo!

@Eoin thanks, I'll look at this. When I looked in the archives of this forum I thought I saw people doing it direct, and in our local restaurant they make them by slapping the uncooked dough against the wall of the tandoor, which has direct heat underneath. However, I'll re-check this.