Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Pork Butt

Hi everyone:

I need your help.  I'm slow smoking my first pork butt in my minimax tomorrow, equipped also with the KAB.  I'm going to load the basket to the max with lump, use the plate setter, and let 'er rip at 225-250 until it's done.  My question is this:  Is there a specific way to light the lump to get the maximum burn time out of it?  My thought is to light it right at the front near the intake and let it spread slowly back and around.  What do people normally do in this setup?  Thanks!

Comments

• Thomasc18
    Thomasc18 Posts: 197
    I also been wondering about this as well. All I know kab burns a lot hotter than without. I left my bottom grate in with basket. Did a prime rib. With kab bottom was left barley open to run 275. Before without I had to leave bottom vent open almost an inch
    Madison, AL
  • dsrguns
    dsrguns Posts: 421
    Sounds like a plan. I typically light it that way and after 10 minutes close the lid and slowly let the temp come up to my desired range by adjusting the vents. Start withe the bottom vent open about half an inch open and top vent a quarter open. Not so sure on a mini as I have an XL. After temp has stabilized (45 minutes to an hour), I put the meat on. What size is your roast?

XL BGE
    MD
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    I don't have a MiniMax, but on both my Medium and my Large, I just do better smoking at 250°-275°, would encourage you not to go below 250°.  It takes longer cooking at lower temps, and so far as I can see there's not only no benefit, but it's not as good.  Maybe for a stick burner, but not an Egg.  I get better smoke at 250° or above.  Maybe the MM is different, I don't know.
  • Thomasc18
    Thomasc18 Posts: 197
    Theophan said:
    I don't have a MiniMax, but on both my Medium and my Large, I just do better smoking at 250°-275°, would encourage you not to go below 250°.  It takes longer cooking at lower temps, and so far as I can see there's not only no benefit, but it's not as good.  Maybe for a stick burner, but not an Egg.  I get better smoke at 250° or above.  Maybe the MM is different, I don't know.
    I have a med as well. Where do you light your coal?  Towards front of vent?  Do you do about the same?  Light and leave about an hour to stabilize?  
    Madison, AL
  • aymobley
    aymobley Posts: 34
    I have an 11 pound butt.  Gonna just go for it and see what happens!
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Theophan
    Thomasc18 said:
    I have a med as well. Where do you light your coal?  Towards front of vent?  Do you do about the same?  Light and leave about an hour to stabilize?  
    I don't think I ever leave it a whole hour.  For a low-and-slow, I usually light it a bit forward of center, and in just one spot, and have both vents wide open at first, till the temp starts rising.  Then I close the vents to what I figure will be close to where I want them for the cook, and watch the smoke to be sure the heavy white smoke goes away.  Usually, I'd guess it's within half an hour, maybe just a little more, it looks OK to me and the temp is pretty stable, and that's when I add several wood chunks, the plate setter, and the meat.  It doesn't usually take too long for the temp to get back up to where I want it, which usually is around 275° or a little less.

I tried a bunch of different approaches to getting good smoke, but I seem to do best with chunks, not chips, and I usually bury one or two in the lump near the center, but put 3 or 4 sort of radially around the fire on top.  Works for me, anyway.  (That's for when I want a lot of smoke, that is.)
  • aymobley
    @Theophan, great strategy.  I like it.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    No mini-max or KAB but you said, " I'm going to load the basket to the max with lump".  Don't know exactly what that means, but load it up with as much as you can with just enough room to land the heat deflector.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,741
    That looks awesome. Nice work.
    Stillwater, MN
  • aymobley
    Thanks!  It was absolutely delicious.  I'm going to vaccum seal the rest and freeze it.
  • Theophan
    Looks AMAZING!!!  Great job!
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    That looks really nice. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Rte1985
    Rte1985 Posts: 304
    aymobley said:
    Thanks!  It was absolutely delicious.  I'm going to vaccum seal the rest and freeze it.
    My wife always tells me to do smaller butts because of having so much leftovers but man.. Throw it in the freezer and you can make meals for the next few weeks..  Pork tacos being one of them!
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    edited April 2017
    I quit doing one but cooks, always 2 or 3 cuz the egg is running and it saves so well in FS bags.  Great to pass off to the kids.  Good looking cook!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Rte1985 said:
    aymobley said:
    My wife always tells me to do smaller butts because of having so much leftovers but man.. Throw it in the freezer and you can make meals for the next few weeks..  Pork tacos being one of them!
    Pork nachos, pork pizza, pork stuffed baked potatoes........all up to your imagination.  =)
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Pulled pork wontons, stuffed mushrooms...
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • aymobley
    Thanks for all the great comments and great ideas!
  • Looks like everything turned out great. Congrats!