Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newby needs advice

Options
I just bought my first egg. I noticed that the company advises you to keep the first few cooks under 350 degrees, but I haven't found a lot of recipes that use a low temperature (aside from smoking, which I've never done, and which I'll plan to get started on as I gain familiarity with the egg.
Can anyone suggest a few good recipes that wouldn't exceed 350 degrees?
Thanks.

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,944
    Options
    You can do a pork tenderloin direct at that temp, no problem.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • NewbeeMinimax
    Options
    Chicken-- below 350- it takes a bit longer. Tastes good. Duck too
    also can do ribeye roast--no need to sear in the end if dry aged for couple of days 
    leg of lamb-- braised 
    Bucks County, PA
    Minimax, XL, Flameboss 200, Roccbox

• EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    Welcome to the forum.  I always believed there should only be one setting on a home kitchen oven, 350.  And my new LG oven sets to 350 by default...my point is anything 350 indoors will work out.  Beef roast is nice, lasagna etc ... 
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    I usually cook nearly everything under 300. Try a rib roast. Easy to cook and great results. Controlling the temperature is where newbies usually have difficulty. Catch your temp on the way up because of the heat retention it's a bear to bring it down if you've passed your target.  
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    All of the above is true. Cook whatever you please at your temperature of choice and your gasket will look the same as it would after the above mentioned cooks. It's really not anything critical. Welcome. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Laegger
    Laegger Posts: 5
    Options
    I remember my first cook (12 years ago) on my large was a pork shoulder done around 275 to make pulled pork. Yum. The issue is with that cook you will need a long time to get the shoulder up to 200 for pulling. Any of the above experts have great ideas. Welcome aboard.
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    Yep just fire it up, chicken is cheap practice learning the temp control curve. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bgebrent
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.  
    Never trust this guy!
  • BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Kroger has 99 cent butts this week. Take a whole day and plan on two hours a pound and another hour for whatever. With only two of us to eat, I usually cut the butts in half to make them around four pounds. Playing with temp to keep it around 250 is good practice for later cooks. It's hard to mess up a butt.

Bob
    Cooking on the coast
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    You can cook pretty much anything at 350 or under. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Or 450 and higher.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Or 450 and higher.

Or any number in-between  :D

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Rte1985
    Rte1985 Posts: 304
    Options
    I'm on board with pork butt. My first cook was 15 hr pork butt.  It's very forgiving and you might as well do it up for the first cook. I was out in my undies checking the egg all night paranoid that the temp would drop or skyrocket but the egg cruised all night!  I sleep like a baby until morning now but I learned a lot with that first cook. Enjoy your egg!
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    Welcome. It is a good idea to do a few cooks at 350 or under, but the stock gasket will need to be changed eventually. My thoughts are don't worry about it, the sooner my eggs get a Rutland gasket on them the better.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Welcome to the Eggdiction.

When I bought my XL 3 years ago they said keep it under 400, I guess it is 350 now.  My gasket is pretty much toast and I don't have any problems smoking at low temps.  I am not replacing it I start to have problems keeping it at temp.  

Like others said you should be able to cook about anything at 350 or under.  I did burgers and chicken for my first two cooks.  Pork butt is a good one and a long cook should all you need.  Since I grill grates I don't go much over 450 anymore even for pizza.

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    These forum guys will take care of you, you are in good hands. 

Keep walking the path, many great things are just ahead. There is a couple places that will fail and you will learn, beware of the "clean-burn" gulch here on the path, that bridge can wash out fast. LOL

Welcome!

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    Options
    Welcome aboard. The first time I lit up my BGE I didn't cook anything but just wanted to get an idea of what the settings should be and how responsive it was to changes in the bottom and top vents. If I had it to do over again I would have thrown on some chicken parts. They're cheap, taste great on the BGE and you might as well have something to show for your first voyage.
    Stillwater, MN
  • MacThespian
    Options
    Wow! That's a lot of good suggestions, and some great information. Thanks to everyone. I plan on using the egg a lot (as I tell my wife, I have to learn how to cook on it!).
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Welcome to wallet genocide.
    My first cook was pork loin roast at about 325F. It turned out excellent. Do yourself a big favor and get a thermopen, or other quality thermometer to use while cooking. Makes life easier at any temperature you choose to cook.
    Have fun.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    That recommended limit on initial cooking temp is because they think the gasket adhesive needs to set.  They are wrong.  Cook at whatever temp you want.  The gasket will be fine.  It's a cheap consumable anyway.
    Options
    Welcome aboard!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    That recommended limit on initial cooking temp is because they think the gasket adhesive needs to set.  They are wrong.  Cook at whatever temp you want.  The gasket will be fine.  It's a cheap consumable anyway.
    they never had a breakin period til a few years ago, im betting it helped stop calls to customer service on how to break the egg in.  as nola says cook away, it will eventually fail anyways, its easy to change out. my eggs have not had a gasket in well over a decade, gaskets are not a deal breaker
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • MacThespian
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Welcome to wallet genocide.
    My first cook was pork loin roast at about 325F. It turned out excellent. Do yourself a big favor and get a thermopen, or other quality thermometer to use while cooking. Makes life easier at any temperature you choose to cook.
    Have fun.
    Got one. It's a good idea. Thanks.
  • MacThespian
    Options

Welcome aboard!
    Nice to be here. Thank you.
  • MacThespian
    Options

they never had a breakin period til a few years ago, im betting it helped stop calls to customer service on how to break the egg in.  as nola says cook away, it will eventually fail anyways, its easy to change out. my eggs have not had a gasket in well over a decade, gaskets are not a deal breaker
    Thanks to both of you. That's good to know.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Its probably a misprint.  It was supposed to read:

". . . keep the first few cooks under 1350 degrees"

:-)

Welcome aboard!

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options

I went years without too. Then Ron got me some of the Rutland and now I don't burn all my lump off after I shut it down

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• MacThespian
    Options
    Thanks again.
    One more question: Weber is offering a free sample of their new "100% all natural hardwood charcoal." But it appears to be molded into briquettes. Free is good, but should I stay away from this offer?
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    I would stick with lump only.