Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket/Temp ?

Options

Recently I did a cleanout burn and it got away from me with temps well above 800.  When I very carefully opened my LBGE portions of the gasket were in flames.  Today I did my first low and slow since.  Got everything all in place at 240 with Guru set for 250.  I did notice I was "leaking smoke" around the gasket. Temp sailed right thru 250 and at 290 I closed top and bottom and got it back down to 245.  Cranked up the guru with daisy wheel closed and though it's not as rapid as before, temp is now up to 265.

Since I obviously don't have a good seal on my gasket since smoke was coming out, is it reasonable I'm also pulling in air that's fueling the fire?  I've always been able maintain temps with no trouble.  Time to call Ron?

Lenoir City, TN -  Bama fan in Tenn Vol's backyard. 

LBGE, Weber Spirit 

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options

My gasket "Puffs" smoke all around the gasket when my Stoker Fan Starts, I have no problem holding 200-225 even with that leakage. I have a Rutland from Ron, the gasket is holding up, its just well "Used" and extremely flat compared to new.

With the Guru, the bottom should be closed tight onto your fan, I leave my top just cracked

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Webass said:

Recently I did a cleanout burn and it got away from me with temps well above 800.  When I very carefully opened my LBGE portions of the gasket were in flames.  Today I did my first low and slow since.  Got everything all in place at 240 with Guru set for 250.  I did notice I was "leaking smoke" around the gasket. Temp sailed right thru 250 and at 290 I closed top and bottom and got it back down to 245.  Cranked up the guru with daisy wheel closed and though it's not as rapid as before, temp is now up to 265.

Since I obviously don't have a good seal on my gasket since smoke was coming out, is it reasonable I'm also pulling in air that's fueling the fire?  I've always been able maintain temps with no trouble.  Time to call Ron?

Mine still leaks with a Rutland. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    The BGE runs on air-flow to manage fire volume for the desired cook temp.  Since you have air leaks around the gasket surface you have an added area for air to fuel the fire in addition to the bottom vent.  So your vent settings will be smaller to account for the "other" air for a given cook temp.   FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options

en able maintain temps with no trouble.  Time to call Ron?

If I sold it to you then I would be more than glad to discuss how to solve that! Send me a PM and I will reply this afternoon with some advice. Please tell me where it is leaking (front, back, side) and approximately how large of the area in length and that will let me zero in on the probable problem and solution to overcome.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    Webass said:

you shouldnt have those problems with a leaky dome gasket. maybe you burned the silicone around the lower vent
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    RRP said:

en able maintain temps with no trouble.  Time to call Ron?

If I sold it to you then I would be more than glad to discuss how to solve that! Send me a PM and I will reply this afternoon with some advice. Please tell me where it is leaking (front, back, side) and approximately how large of the area in length and that will let me zero in on the probable problem and solution to overcome.

@RRP ( not to hijack a thread) my Rutland is smashed flat as a coin, not "fluffy) is this normal ( not a complaint ) but new and thicker it sealed quite well..not @ home so no pictures
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • g37
    g37 Posts: 450
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Are your wires for guru sandwich between your dome and base.  If so the wire is causing a gap even if u can't see it. That's where your smoke leak is coming from.
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I haven't done a clean burn in 20 years on my eggs.(at least not intentionally) Never had the need too.
    I've always been careful to use pans and foil underneath anything I was cooking that could make a mess.  
    To me, a clean burn puts unneeded stress on the egg. 
    For the people that enjoy a good period clean nuclear burn I respect their choice, but the high temp burn is not for me.
    FWIW I have a Rutland gasket that I got from Ron, it's great.
  • Wolfie51sb
    Wolfie51sb Posts: 267
    Options
    GregW said:

To me, a clean burn puts unneeded stress on the egg. 

Agree.

Rob

Columbus, Ohio

• John_Boy
    John_Boy Posts: 1
    Options
    Not to hijack.....but is 600 degrees considered a clean burn? That's what BGE recommends. Every now and then I run the egg 600-700 degrees for a couple hours to get the gunk out. Seems to do the trick without going Nuclear.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Clean burn temps are open to your preference.  600º will burn off the organics just fine - it will just take longer than a 900º burn.  Staying around 700º or so is a good balance of length of the burn, component stress, and ability of the thermometer to actually let you know the temp.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.