Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Who's using what Lump

Options
Whats the best bang for the buck in quality lump now days?

Comments

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Royal Oak

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    If I'm cooking some wagyu I'll use rockwood. Other than that it's royal oak. $10 a bag

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Brandongodfrey
    Options
    Senso green bag from Portugal for the last 5 or so bags . I really like it . Haven't had a bag of chips yet from them and really that's what matters most . 
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    For $12 per 20lb bag at RD its Carbon del sur, otherwise its Rockwood!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Brandongodfrey
    Options
    I use to buy and still do royal oak from a tiny convience store near my house . I swear the owner carries the bags like his children as they consistently had great lump lol never any bad bags out of that joint 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    JRWhitee said:

Cheapscape!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    JRWhitee said:

And here all along I thought you liked Cowboy.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Royal oak or rockwood - when I have a good month its rockwood and it is better
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    In all honesty, I have at least 5 brands within my present stash of either 560 or 600 pounds. 
     I really don't get all hung up nor become a lump snob! 
    I have RO in red, green and even blue colored bags
    Rockwood
    Ozark Oak
    and even some Chicago Lump! 
    Only thing I don't have is Cowboy and probably never will - so guess you can call me a lump snob after all!  =)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    I use Rockwood for low 'n slow and CharBroil Center Cut for hot and fast cooks like steaks or pizza
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• Brandongodfrey
    Options
    RRP said:
    In all honesty, I have at least 5 brands within my present stash of either 560 or 600 pounds. 
    Rockwood
    Ozark Oak
    Only thing I don't have is Cowboy and probably never will - so guess you can call me a lump snob after all!  =)
    I've bought cowboy in a pinch and it was fine , I've had worse from much "better" companies . 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    JRWhitee said:

Great minds think alike. I keep RW and use CDS when I'm "in between."
    Great stuff.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    RRP said:
    Rockwood
    Ozark Oak
    I've bought cowboy in a pinch and it was fine , I've had worse from much "better" companies . 
    I hear you and I even stand corrected! I just went out and discovered one Big Green Egg 20 pounder given to me for cooking at the dealer' s shop.  Of course if you know your lump sources then you already know that BGE lump is merely Royal Oak in hiding with an inflated price! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Royal Oak.  It's relatively  inexpensive and available year round near me.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    @B747crew for what it's worth. If you have veggies to roast as part of the meal get a neutral rockwood type lump
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    My local ace just started carrying the Fogo so I tried it. Seems like good stuff for the low and slow. What I like the most is there are no sparks when hitting it with the torch. Haven't tried it for a hot cook yet. Otherwise rockwood is my go to. I just hate how much it sparks when lighting.

Buy a few different types of lump, cook some chicken with each one so you can pick up the different taste in each and see what you like best. 
    Snellville, GA

• Bill_Swerski
    Options
    nothing but Fogo recently
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I've decided that as frugal as the eggs are with lump, I'm not using RO anymore.  

Rockwood for me - good smoke quick, and I'm supporting a fellow forum member to boot.

Phoenix 
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Started with BGE then used RO for a while then I found Rockwood and haven't used anything else since.  That was over 2 years ago.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Can anyone explain the reason one lump brand sparks more than another? 
    Snellville, GA

• g37
    g37 Posts: 450
    Options
    I can only get Royal Oak.  I'm not complaining it works just fine.  
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • blasting
    Options

@stlcharcoal ?  My guess is, it hasn't been carbonized enough.

I got some stuff given to me by a friend who was moving.  It shoots sparks so much it makes me jump - using it for clean burns only.
    Phoenix 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    blasting said:

@stlcharcoal ?  My guess is, it hasn't been carbonized enough.

I got some stuff given to me by a friend who was moving.  It shoots sparks so much it makes me jump - using it for clean burns only.
    It also is dependent on your method of lighting.  Use the electric lighter or Rutland squares and there will be little sparking.  Break out a torch and it all sparks.  Even my go to RW.
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    @blasting do you not have an issue with the rockwood sparking or is it just me? I love rockwood but I hate the sparks. Guess I could just use the oil napkin and avoid sparks that way but the torch is just quick and convenient. 
    Snellville, GA

• blasting
    Options
    @blasting do you not have an issue with the rockwood sparking or is it just me? I love rockwood but I hate the sparks. Guess I could just use the oil napkin and avoid sparks that way but the torch is just quick and convenient. 

Like Brent said, they all spark if using a flamethrower to light them.  I'm only counting once they are lit - almost no sparks with RW for me.  The other stuff I mentioned above is El Diablo.  That stuff literally shoots sparks - after it's lit.

Phoenix 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Please see above.  If you don't like sparks, use lighter squares or oiled paper towels.  It all works.  It really depends on your timing.  The torch eliminates at least 30 minutes of waiting.  To each his own.  I'll take the sparks and being ready to cook in 20 minutes.
  • blasting
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Please see above.  If you don't like sparks, use lighter squares or oiled paper towels.  It all works.  It really depends on your timing.  The torch eliminates at least 30 minutes of waiting.  To each his own.  I'll take the sparks and being ready to cook in 20 minutes.

Timing aside, I love the sound of a 500,000 btu weed burner.  Severe overkill, but I don't seem to tire of it.

Phoenix 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    blasting said:
    bgebrent said:

Timing aside, I love the sound of a 500,000 btu weed burner.  Severe overkill, but I don't seem to tire of it.

Kinda like the Blue Angels coming in low on your 6!  Nothing better.
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Sorry Brent I missed your first reply. I understand I can eliminate the sparks with a different lighting method but it just seems odd that when I used fogo for the first time recently I lit with a torch and a spark never left the egg. 

@blasting I have a friend who uses diablow and it's pretty funny to watch him light his egg. That stuff should come with a warning label. 
    Snellville, GA

• bgebrent
    Options
    Sorry Brent I missed your first reply. I understand I can eliminate the sparks with a different lighting method but it just seems odd that when I used fogo for the first time recently I lit with a torch and a spark never left the egg. 

@blasting I have a friend who uses diablow and it's pretty funny to watch him light his egg. That stuff should come with a warning label. 
    My brother, I don't have Fogo available locally and have not used it.  I've happily settled on RW which does spark when lightning with a torch. I use a MAPP torch.  Irritating maybe, RW cooks work well for me.