Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sorta OT - What meals do you leave to the restaurants?

Options
Botch
Botch Posts: 15,487
@YukonRon mentioned in another thread about how Egged food is so much better than what you can normally get in a restaurant, to which I think we all agree.  
It got me to thinking about what kind of foods we don't make at home, that we leave to the "experts", and thought it might be an interesting thread.  Doesn't have to be stuff you'd cook on the Egg; just, what do you leave to the restaurants?

For me:

• Sushi.  It looks like a lot of FUN to make, but the timing/technique of the rice (and it's all about the rice) would be a challenge.  Further, I'd have to drive to SLC to our only sushi-grade fish market (one of the few downsides to living in the Rockies) and they'd probably throw their santukos at me, trying to buy 2 oz of four different kinds of fish.   :|
  • Cajun.  I have made my own excellent rouxs, but its time-consuming and easy to screw up.  Plus, again, you need so many ingredients that it becomes way too many leftovers (of perishable seafood) for a single person.
  • Fried chicken.  I don't do any deep-frying, and we have a local spot called Maddox that makes perfect broasted chicken, no need to even try making it myself.
  • Pho.  I love this Vietnamese soup, have it once or twice a week.  The broth required a lot of ingredients (like a whole brisket) and an overnight simmer; again it makes way too much for one person.  I wouldn't mind trying making bahn mi, vietnamese/french sammiches, and in fact may be great on an Egg.  

That's all I can think of, right now.  How bout you?  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

Comments

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    @Botch I'm with you on your choices and will add Thai to the list.  My fried chicken made a mess and wasn't that good. Never again without proper equipment and instruction. 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • HellrodKC
    HellrodKC Posts: 174
    Options
    Fried anything. Not worth the hassle to clean up, and my waistline thanks me for limited fried foods to meals out of the house.
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    I'm good with most at a restaurant. Sushi like you said for sure. 
    I would have to turn it around and say that for me the one thing I just won't order at a restaurant is ribs. Disappointing compared to my own. But the rest I'm pretty good with either way. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Agree on sushi.  Thai is also on my buy list.  I make a respectable pho and it isn't too difficult so it is on my home made list.  Don't make Greek at home.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    i think the only thing i dont cook on purpose is the italian veal dishes. sushi i get at the supermarket so that probably does not count =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Asian dishes with 20 ingredients that I would not use often enough.  Have done sushi and it's a fun team effort.  I agree on the Pho too.  We have a restaurant with superb Pho so I'm not gonna try.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Fried. Especially chicken. Juice usually isn't worth the squeeze unless it's something I need to go with a meal or it's a fish fry and hush puppies. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    +1 on all fried, sushi, and most other Asian - just not the same at home
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • ToTheMax
    ToTheMax Posts: 150
    Options
    Ethnic cuisine, that's about it: Sushi, Pho, Thai.

I'm starting to do Chinese food in the wok, so we'll see how that goes. Might move on up to Thai one day.
    Northern Virginia
    LBGE ~'14
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    I'm a restaurant snob, so I only go to good restaurants. Not shi* like outback ect. 

So I will order whatever I'm feeling like, even if I can make it on the egg. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Rte1985
    Rte1985 Posts: 304
    Options
    Thai, sushi, doughnuts, and my biggy is salmon! Anytime I fix salmon at home it turns out pretty underwhelming! I go out and it tastes amazing! I haven't tried salmon on the egg yet probably because I'm so defeated from the past. Maybe it's time to search the forums and give her a go again!
  • BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    Options
    Really good blackened grouper, wife likes fried shrimp-only fresh, wild caught Atlantic will do for me.I have had great Asian food, but it has been years and I no longer live close enough to visit an Asian community to get it.
    On the road, eating whatever is easy. I do like to try BBQ at other places and have found one or two good ones.
    Cooking on the coast
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Nothing really. I very rarely eat "ese" food (Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, etc). We eat out solely due to convenience or a social type atmosphere. (Date night, groups of friends etc). 
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Generally for us to eat out it's for fried seafood and Chinese...
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited March 2017
    Options
    We seek out the hidden gems, and are blessed with some authentic, rock solid, served smokin hot and fresh, Mexican here in the QC.
    La Rancherita in Moline,IL
    Supermercado Monarca in East Mo.  My favorite lunch spot.  An azada burrito with avocado, a Mexican Coke, and their rojo salsa, and I'm in my happy place for 6 bones.

Frank's Pizza, and fried chicken, in Silvis, IL, our family home base for grub.  Their stromboli is killer.  Best fried chicken I have had to date.

Uncle Pete's Gyros,  gotta get extra meat....fire.

Candlelight Inn, in Sterling, IL, for fried Chicken George, top notch.

Benny's Pizza in Milan, IL, for the best QC style pie.  Love their "Banker".

Colona Doughnuts in Colona, IL.  Their apple fritters are to die for, and super cheap.  Another hidden QC gem.

You won't see my a$$ strollin' into a chain, or a bbq restaurant.  Same goes for when I travel.  I seek out the locals, and listen, avoiding the tourist traps.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I love to wok at home, but I also enjoy Saturday lunches at a local Chinese buffet so I can partake of a variety of foods which I would never bother to do at home. Besides that I pig out on crab meat, shrimp and mussels so I know I get my money's worth before I even enjoy their egg drop soup. Then comes the multiple bits of this and that for the meal followed by a plate of fresh fruit, delicious desert choices let alone 6 types of rich ice cream. That is the only buffet I ever eat at. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Just fugu.  I'm not entirely certain how to avoid the lethal tetrodotoxin.
    Options
    Sushi is best left to the experts.  There is a huge gap between above average sushi and excellent sushi, and I'm happy to pay for the latter because I damn sure don't have the talent for that level of artistry.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    Seared duck breast at http://www.ivansrestaurant.com

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Sushi, and any of a number of ethnic dishes; Irish, Greek, Mexican, Korean, Thai, German etc.   
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    Mexican, Chinese, Biscuits and Gravy, Fried Chicken, Collards, Sub Sandwiches.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • clemsontyger97
    Options
    Turducken.   If we still lived in Texas I'd say Mexican, but in the Memphis area I'm pretty sure our mexican food we cook at home is better than most of the restaurants.   Definitely sushi, and for me since I have not yet cooked what I would consider good brisket:  brisket.
    --Because I'm like ice, buddy. When I don't like you, you've got problems.

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
    South Carolina native, adopted Texan, residing in Olive Branch, MS.  Go Tigers.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    We need some fry some chicken at butt blast. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Went in to Uncle Pete's for a gyro, and Pete was slicing a head of lettuce as he took my order...respect.

Forgot to mention my former first employer, and the best ice cream on the planet, nothing compares to Whitey's Ice Cream....not even the best gelato.

Lagomarcino's in Moline, yet another pure gem.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Markarm4119
    Markarm4119 Posts: 526
    Options
    Fried chicken, seafood and The Varsity onion rings !
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Veal parmigiano. Mine never, ever turns out, same with veal saltimbocco.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    So Killit, did you slap your waiter up a bit?   =)

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    Hangover Breakfasts
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian