Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thoughts on Smokeware Stainless Cap

Options
B747crew
B747crew Posts: 158
I am wondering regarding peoples experience with the Smokeware Stainless Steel smoker cap????

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    Here we go....
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    Google eggheadforum and smokeware cap and you can immerse yourself in hours of reading materials. 
  • B747crew
    Options
    Got it. Bare with me while I get used to the forum 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I've only heard one person who has one say they preferred the daisy wheel.  Everyone else who has one love them.  I have a couple, and would only give them up kicking and screaming.

They hold their setting, they allow for all weather cooking (admittedly, not a benny for myself), and I think they look kinda cool.

Phoenix 
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Nothing special to me. I have to clean mine constantly or it looks like shi*. 

I wont buy it again if I get another egg. 

For this difference of opinion - here come the angry people. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• pgprescott
    Options
    @bhedges1987 is the one. Everyone else is just wrong. I've run mine for years now and never touched it once in a cleaning manner. Looks fine 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    You guys use the daisy wheel? =)
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    I love mine. I haven't used the Daisy wheel since I got the SmokeWare cap.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• bhedges1987
    Options
    @bhedges1987 is the one. Everyone else is just wrong. I've run mine for years now and never touched it once in a cleaning manner. Looks fine 
    I'm not sure what you are getting at there? I'm the one who what? 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    Options
    I like the looks of them but have been happy using the daisy wheel. If I do any upgrades most likely will be one and a kickashbasket.
  • NewbeeMinimax
    Options
    I got for both eggs. Have to clean them often though. Grease builds up after L&S cooks. After last cook I placed it inside the egg at 500 to clean it. Sure it is clean but now I have to restore it as it looks brown rather than steel:(
    Bucks County, PA
    Minimax, XL, Flameboss 200, Roccbox

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I've had 2 for 2-3 years and love them.  Maybe I'm lazy but I've never cleaned one. They do have some pretty good build up but I don't mind it.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • B747crew
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    I've had 2 for 2-3 years and love them.  Maybe I'm lazy but I've never cleaned one. They do have some pretty good build up but I don't mind it.
    I guess they can go in the dishwasher on Heavy Duty cycle by itself
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    blasting said:

I've only heard one person who has one say they preferred the daisy wheel.  Everyone else who has one love them.  I have a couple, and would only give them up kicking and screaming.

They hold their setting, they allow for all weather cooking (admittedly, not a benny for myself), and I think they look kinda cool.

I might be that one :)
    the smokeware cap works fine. It gets gunked up. It directs the smoke horizontally towards my face. I think stainless looks out of place on an egg. Harder to take off when it's hot. 

The dfmt works fine. It gets gunked up but it's black so I'll never notice. 

My small hamster-sized brain can't remember settings for both so I had to stick with the dfmt :)

this is not a knock on the smokeware cap at all. It's really well made. If you think you might like it, buy it. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • pgprescott
    edited March 2017
    Options
    You're the ONE who doesn't care for the smokeware cap (see the post above yours). I'm sure a bit of hyperbole on my part. Just playin.  =)
  • bhedges1987
    Options
    You're the ONE who doesn't care for the smokeware cap (see the post above yours). I'm sure a bit of hyperbole on my part. Just playin.  =)
    Lol the above comments show I'm not the only one who claims they get pretty dirty. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Love it. Never clean it and it works great. Just had to learn the settings and then all was good.   I think BGE is missing out not adding something like this as an upgrade option.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Had mine for a year or so now, still haven't had to clean it.  It let me finish a cook in the rain, which is why I bought it.  I could live without it if necessary.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• pgprescott
    Options
    Lol the above comments show I'm not the only one who claims they get pretty dirty. 
    You guys would get along good with my wife. She once dumped out a perfect glass of iced tea, washed the glass and put it away while I was outside working in the yard for a bit. Couldn't stand to see the sweating glass. It was on a coaster! The ice had melted just the right amount and had some hollow voids in them.  You know what I mean, right? Lol. 
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    I've had mine for a few years and like it. IMO it's a nice, but not necessary accessory

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• pgprescott
    Options
    Botch said:
    Had mine for a year or so now, still haven't had to clean it.  It let me finish a cook in the rain, which is why I bought it.  I could live without it if necessary.  
    Sure. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the stock daisy. It's bling. 
  • bhedges1987
    Options
    Botch said:
    Sure. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the stock daisy. It's bling. 
    I may agree with you.  Black is more in style and "bling" than chrome nowadays. Chrome went out of style after the 1st fast and furious. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    4Runner said:
    Love it. Never clean it and it works great. Just had to learn the settings and then all was good.   I think BGE is missing out not adding something like this as an upgrade option.  
    Well, early on Matt sold these using the name EggWare. BGE had a come to Jesus meeting with him with their lawyers so he had to change pronto. Seems corporate eggdom doesn't like their turf touched about the same way Coca-Cola has seriously defended any name, reference or implied use similar. Maybe Matt could turn tables if BGE came out with something even remotely similar to his SmokeWare cap - ya think?  =)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,044
    Options
    I have 3.  They work great and look great.  Do they work better than a DFMT?  Probably not, unless you are in extreme weather.  Do I really like them and highly recommend them?  Absolutely!

I like the snuffer plate too, it is super easy to use and won't break like the ceramic cap when you drop it.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • blasting
    Options
    I may agree with you.  Black is more in style and "bling" than chrome nowadays. Chrome went out of style after the 1st fast and furious. 

@bhedges1987

I agree with you on the black.  I've emailed Matt about this but never heard back.  The must be busy because I've emailed a few times about other things, but never hear back...

There is a machine I'm planning to purchase that turns stainless black - the technique is called "marking".  When I get this machine, the very first test will be on my smokeware cap. 

Phoenix 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I have 3.  They work great and look great.  Do they work better than a DFMT?  Probably not, unless you are in extreme weather.  Do I really like them and highly recommend them?  Absolutely!

I like the snuffer plate too, it is super easy to use and won't break like the ceramic cap when you drop it.
    Except they won't rust or require any attention to prevent rust.  SW cap is a no brainer winner.  Easily better than the Dumb Fvcking Mothership Top. ;)
    i have found the snuffer cap to be a useless accessory.  No ill will brother jeepster.  My SW cap snuffs just as well.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • bhedges1987
    Options
    blasting said:

@bhedges1987

I agree with you on the black.  I've emailed Matt about this but never heard back.  The must be busy because I've emailed a few times about other things, but never hear back...

There is a machine I'm planning to purchase that turns stainless black - the technique is called "marking".  When I get this machine, the very first test will be on my smokeware cap. 

Never thought about it. There's a powder coating shop right up the street from my house. Would that work? Maybe I should try?

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,044
    Options
    bgebrent said:

Except they won't rust or require any attention to prevent rust.  SW cap is a no brainer winner.  Easily better than the Dumb Fvcking Mothership Top. ;)
    i have found the snuffer cap to be a useless accessory.  No ill will brother jeepster.  My SW cap snuffs just as well.
    2 of my three caps don't snuff near as quick as my snuffer.  I haven't tried them since they have been broken in though.  Might try again.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • blasting
    Options
    blasting said:

@bhedges1987

Never thought about it. There's a powder coating shop right up the street from my house. Would that work? Maybe I should try?

If you specify high temp it might, but doubtful with standard powders.  The high temp powders range from about 800 - 1200 degrees if memory serves.  I'd sure be interested in the results if you give it a try.

Phoenix