Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Seasoning carbon steel pans: is it like CI?

Options
I've seen many threads, including a current one, on the best ways to season cast iron, but I have a few carbon steel pans (DeBuyer Mineral) that I don't think I got properly seasoned, and I think there are some spots where it's not seasoned well, and other spots where there's a visible, sort of plastic-like layer of hardened oil.

I'm thinking of using Easy-Off, or maybe just green Scotch-Brite and some elbow grease, and then re-seasoning them.  But I read a lot of people on the Web claiming wonderful results with flax oil, and people here, for cast iron, at least, don't seem to like it.

Does anyone here have experience with carbon steel pans?

Comments

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I have two DeBuyer CS pans that are work horses in my kitchen. Honestly the seasoning seems in a constant state of flux - sometimes better or worse depending on the acidity of whatever I was cooking. That said, even when the seasoning isn't dark and attractive looking the pans still seem non-stick enough if I heat them properly. Your description of the seasoning on yours seems to match mine. I don't know what that means. We are either both experiencing normal behavior or we both stink at seasoning CS. Here's a couple of picks that might help you compare. 

Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    I have two and this is how I seasoned.

I wash with soap and water.

Rub flax or grasped seed oil on

Bake at 475 for 30 min

Cook veggies in it with a little olive oil 

Wipe clean with water and brush 

Dry with heat

Hit it with a little oil

Store

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited March 2017
    Options
    CS is definitely more difficult, and responsive to what you're cooking, but my approach is similar...grapeseed in many thin layers.  

If one has troubles maintaining CI, I do not recommend moving up in difficulty to the more finicky CS.

I stripped the seasoning on my 12" Lodge (top left), with some pork chops and SA drunken apples and onions with a small amount of balsamic.  The nice thing about the shallow CS Lodge, I crank the gas up high on my cooktop, and season many times during one heat up with an old wifebeater lightly saturated with grapeseed.  The entire pan gets screaming hot on my gas burner.  Folding the wifebeater helps protect your hands, but I've been stung.  I don't care for the paper towel trail, but I'm sure it will burn off if you want to use them to season.

Like CI, be aware of what you cook in it.  Fry, simmer bacon, saute, brown ground meat, etc etc etc.  In my experience, the smallest amount of acid will strip it.  CI is more hearty in this regard.  Acidic foods will only strip if those foods are stored in it.  I move chili from my DOs to another container after eating and it cools.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• SciAggie
    Options
    @Focker Your experience matches mine. I was particular for a while about what I cooked in my CS but now I just use it. My seasoning doesn't stay as nice as yours though. About the only thing I avoid is heavy tomato sauces and sauces with a lot of vinegar. Small amounts of either and I truck on - and lose small amounts of seasoning. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say NO to the green Scotch-Brite.
    I think it made one of my pans even harder to season because it smoothed the surface even more.
    I was thinking about taking the pan to a friend and having him bead blast it with fine bead to strip and give it a little texture.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Focker
    edited March 2017
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    @Focker Your experience matches mine. I was particular for a while about what I cooked in my CS but now I just use it. My seasoning doesn't stay as nice as yours though. About the only thing I avoid is heavy tomato sauces and sauces with a lot of vinegar. Small amounts of either and I truck on - and lose small amounts of seasoning. 
    One thing I've learned, use the right tool, for the right job.

Skillets, saucepans, sauciers, comal, griddles, grill pans, woks, chefs skillets etc..nonstick, enamel, standard, CS.  CI, CS in the grill, even CI grids, 2 CS Blackstones.   

I have F'd up enough CI and CS pans, CI griddle, CI hibachi grill, warping, cracking, stripping, reseasoning....learning the hard way.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    FWIW, my CS BSs have seasoned nicely with grapeseed as well.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,752
    Options
    i dont have as much problems if i keep the pans away from the sink, they dont go near the sink unless i do something stupid like using the paella as a drip pan on a low and slow. ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SciAggie
    Options
    Focker said:
    SciAggie said:
    One thing I've learned, use the right tool, for the right job.

Skillets, saucepans, sauciers, comal, griddles, grill pans, woks, chefs skillets etc..nonstick, enamel, standard, CS.  CI, CS in the grill, even CI grids, 2 CS Blackstones.   

I have F'd up enough CI and CS pans, CI griddle, CI hibachi grill, warping, cracking, stripping, reseasoning....learning the hard way.  
    Point well taken. I use my cazuelas and other pottery more and more for acidic foods to save my CS and CI. I'm guilty of screwing up stuff from time to time.
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    MANY thanks for all of the very helpful replies!  I'm awed by photos of solid black carbon steel.  That sure ain't what my skillets look like.  To be fair, I didn't use them very long: not long after I bought them, we remodeled our kitchen and bought an induction range, and I bought a bunch of new cookware specifically for induction, so I switched over to stainless skillets.  They work great, but for some things they just stick too much.  I can't get hash browns not to stick in stainless steel, for example.  But I hate buying a Teflon skillet and then having to throw it out after a while because the coating's no good anymore even though the skillet itself obviously is fine.  We tried a ceramic "nonstick" and after a while it just really isn't nonstick at all, anymore, despite "renewing" cleaning with baking powder paste.  So I'm wondering about maybe giving my carbon steel skillets another try.

I might just try cooking on them and see how it goes, but I like the idea of trying to get them really seasoned well, first.  Dunno.  Anyway, VERY helpful message -- thanks!!!
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Theophan said:
    MANY thanks for all of the very helpful replies!  I'm awed by photos of solid black carbon steel.  That sure ain't what my skillets look like.  To be fair, I didn't use them very long: not long after I bought them, we remodeled our kitchen and bought an induction range, and I bought a bunch of new cookware specifically for induction, so I switched over to stainless skillets.  They work great, but for some things they just stick too much.  I can't get hash browns not to stick in stainless steel, for example.  But I hate buying a Teflon skillet and then having to throw it out after a while because the coating's no good anymore even though the skillet itself obviously is fine.  We tried a ceramic "nonstick" and after a while it just really isn't nonstick at all, anymore, despite "renewing" cleaning with baking powder paste.  So I'm wondering about maybe giving my carbon steel skillets another try.

I might just try cooking on them and see how it goes, but I like the idea of trying to get them really seasoned well, first.  Dunno.  Anyway, VERY helpful message -- thanks!!!
    The other issue I have with CS compared to standard CI is durability. My CS pans will scratch through the seasoning if I poke around or stir with a metal fork. My cast iron is almost bullet proof and I can use metal forks and spatula with no issues. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Options

Focker said:

Some happy kids there...just like having breakfast at iHop, with a view.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @Theophan I'm not sure if this helps, but I'll tell you some of my experience. I saw videos and heard of folks frying eggs in their CI and CS skillets without them sticking. I'd see YouTube videos of eggs sliding around in the skillet effortlessly - I wanted that. Every time I tried I'd end up with a stuck mess. I eventually learned that I needed to improve my skill as a cook. Once I paid more attention to the temperature of my pan (most important) and how much fat was in the pan my eggs suddenly stopped sticking. The seasoning of the pan was important, but so were the other factors.
    I'm certainly not implying that your culinary talent is lacking - I'm just saying mine was - and as I gained skill my pans suddenly seemed more nonstick. ymmv
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • fishlessman
    Options
    going out on a limb but you mentioned the ss,  you can season those as well, but the more important thing is getting the pan hot. i see people cooking in ss and making bacon stick. heres the important part, food does not go in a cold pan or even a pan just warmed up, you want it to sizzle a little, then the oil or fatty food goes in. i think people just got used to teflon. get the water drop to dance, then start cooking
    fukahwee maine

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    This is my very thin 13" cast iron wok. Brand new...

First cook after initial seasoning.

Here's how I seasoned it...

Wash thoroughly with hot, soapy water. Dry.

Light lump in grill until coals are all burning (wall to wall).

Wearing welder's or other long, heat resistant gloves, place wok directly on hot coals and allow to get quite hot.

Remove from egg and away from heat source. With a folded up cloth pad (I used an old T-shirt), rub all surfaces, inside and out, with a thin coat of peanut oil.

Place it back onto the coals and it will begin to blacken almost immediately. Rock it around so that all parts of the vessel eventually come in contact with the coals and it blackens all over, doesn't take long. You might want to use long tongs to grab the handle when doing this... it's HOT in there!

When done, carefully add a Tbls or so of peanut oil and stir fry some scallions until they are quite burnt. Got that part from the Wok Shop video. That's all I did to get what you see above. The seasoning will continue to build as you cook more and more, but this was a good start for mine.

This was a CI wok and if I had thought about it, I might not have placed it right on the coals. CI can crack if it gets too hot. Don't ask me how I know. But I would have no problem doing it with CS, either a wok or a skillet. You might have to use your old Weber kettle though. With a handled skillet or a POW wok, I don't know if you could get the whole thing into an egg.

YMMV, but this worked well for me.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Here's the 800 pound gorilla in the room. It seems from all the threads I have read here and the videos I have watched that the one thing in common is always people are using gas stoves with their carbon steel seasoning and cooking. I have electric and every time I season my skillet then the food sticks and the coil pattern of the heating element is where the seasoning is destroyed. Any thoughts short of replacing my stove? =) as pitching that carbon steel skillet is a far cheaper alternative!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Have both CI CS. Because of weight the CS have been relegated  to cornbread cooking. Seasoned CS using the  potato salt method (no bueno) and scallion method from Wok shop (the best).  Clean with water only. Start with hot pan
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • RRP
    Options
    and before anybody says season it on my egg - that doesn't slove the problem as I wanted to use that CS skillet inside - not on my egg!
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    RRP said:
    and before anybody says season it on my egg - that doesn't slove the problem as I wanted to use that CS skillet inside - not on my egg!
    Just because you season it on the egg, that doesn't mean you have to COOK there.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Focker
    Options
    RRP said:
    Here's the 800 pound gorilla in the room. It seems from all the threads I have read here and the videos I have watched that the one thing in common is always people are using gas stoves with their carbon steel seasoning and cooking. I have electric and every time I season my skillet then the food sticks and the coil pattern of the heating element is where the seasoning is destroyed. Any thoughts short of replacing my stove? =) as pitching that carbon steel skillet is a far cheaper alternative!
    I have this portable induction burner.  5 stars bud, super easy to clean with the flat surface.

If a magnet will stick to your pan, it will work on the induction burner.  CI, CS fair game.   Al, Cu won't work.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00H8NJK6W/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• RRP
    Options
    RRP said:
    Just because you season it on the egg, that doesn't mean you have to COOK there.
    You missed my point, Michael. I seasoned in my oven at 500 for 9 oiling and heating then slow gradual cooling cycles. Then the first time I used it on my electric stove at moderate heat to fry bacon and then eggs the coating popped off in many spots in the pattern of the coiled heating element.
  • Focker
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Photo Egg said:

Focker said:

Some happy kids there...just like having breakfast at iHop, with a view.lol
    Thanks Darian, the annual Nickerson caravan to the Dells and fueling up before Noah's Ark Water Park.  The boys, and us big boys, have a ball.

Looking forward to some Spotted Cow and a campfire again this summer.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    edited March 2017
    Options
    RRP said:
    These will help avoid that problem:

https://smile.amazon.com/Nordic-Ware-Tamer-Burner-Plate/dp/B00004W4UJ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1490114264&sr=8-4&keywords=flame+tamer

I don't use these with my carbon steel pans but I do need them with my tamagoyaki pan (which is a much thinner steel) to help even out the heat from my electric coils.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• RRP
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    RRP said:

https://smile.amazon.com/Nordic-Ware-Tamer-Burner-Plate/dp/B00004W4UJ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1490114264&sr=8-4&keywords=flame+tamer

I don't use these with my carbon steel pans but I do need them with my tamagoyaki pan (which is a much thinner steel) to help even out the heat from my electric coils.
    Thank you for understanding and the advice! I will be ordering this week!
  • Focker
    edited March 2017
    Options
    The Ringer, and hot water is all you need to clean both CS and CI.  I don't let soap touch my skillets, personal thang.  Scrub, dry, then wipe with a thin coating of oil, hang on the rack.  

There are times where just a paper towel wipe to remove the loose bits is all that's needed. 

Bought my last bottle of grapeseed at Aldi on the cheap.

With eggs, especially scrambled, they tend to suck the seasoning out of my black mirrored Griswolds.  

Our ancestors fried most everything in a sh!t ton of lard, tarrow.  That is why you see the skillet sides on vintage pans coated with the thickest, nasty, chunky, carbon. 

So if you don't want your eggs to stick in your iron, float them in a half inch of bacon grease.  It will season your pan, and coronaries, in a hurry.   =)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    RRP said:
    HeavyG said:
    RRP said:

Thank you for understanding and the advice! I will be ordering this week!
    Keep in mind that it will take a few more minutes for the burner to heat up that plate thus a little longer to get your pans up to temp.

Let us know if it helps with your problem.

Also, they make those things in the smaller 6" size for the smaller burners. I have both sizes myself.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• fishlessman
    Options
    RRP said:
    replace the stove, i have that type stove at camp. second one, maybe 3 extra sets of burners so far =) my big cast iron stuff seems to be destroying it. makes a great looking burn pattern on the backside of a wooden cutting board, have yet to accidentally try it on the plastic board B)
    fukahwee maine

• Focker
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I agree fish.
    The 800lb gorilla has 4 eggs, but a POS electric coil stove?

With the ultra sensitive, easily butt hurt folks here, I started out offering a single burner.  =)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• RRP
    Options
    Focker said:
    I agree fish.
    The 800lb gorilla has 4 eggs, but a POS electric coil stove?

With the ultra sensitive, easily butt hurt folks here, I started out offering a single burner.  =)
    I hear you but we paid more for that damn Jenn-Aire than for all my eggs and eggcessories combined!
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    RRP said:
    RRP said:
    You missed my point, Michael. I seasoned in my oven at 500 for 9 oiling and heating then slow gradual cooling cycles. Then the first time I used it on my electric stove at moderate heat to fry bacon and then eggs the coating popped off in many spots in the pattern of the coiled heating element.
    I did indeed misunderstand, but I don't see why the seasoning pops off. Unless it's flax seed. All of my CI was bought at antique shops and was already seasoned from years of use. I use it on my electric (coil) burners all the time with no problem.

Most of mine looked like this when I bought them...still do.

My Lodge CS was preseasoned and there are some spots on the side of the pan that could look better, but the bottom is okay. Not nearly as good as the old CI though.

As for washing, I used to avoid scrubbies and soap. Until I saw Mom washing one of her pans one day. Happily scrubbing away - with soap and a scrubbie. She's almost 101 years old and says she's always done it that way. This is the pan I caught her washing. I took this pic then.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut