Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My new favorite chicken...

Options
One of 'em anyway! Came across this recipe yesterday. Can't stand listening to that Youtube guy I got it from, Chef John, FoodWishes...the one with the singsongy voice, but the recipe sounded delicious so I suffered through listening to him. He calls it Grilled Greek Chicken and it is phenomenal!

It's a marinade of garlic, pepper, pepper flakes, oregano, lemon juice, olive oil and white vinegar. Marinate chicken quarters (I used thighs) for 6-8 hours. Then I egged, direct, normal grid height, at 400° to an IT of about 175-180°. I flipped them periodically. I was only cooking four thighs so I just lit the lump toward the back of the egg. Had a good sized indirect area for most of the cook. And I didn't have to spend $100 to do it. =)

The recipe calls for a Greek yogurt dip, but I didn't care for the test batch I mixed up so I used the same avocado/yogurt dip I use for my salmon. Equally good on the chicken!

I served with asparagus and carrots, but no plated pics. Just this one.

This cook WILL be done again!!

Recipe if interested...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LooR5pB-7YM

http://foodwishes.blogspot.com

Thanks for lookin'.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Appreciate the honesty brother, and the cook.  Looks tasty!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    It sounds great?  I will definitely try it?  I am typing like Chef John talks??

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Nice. I'll give it a go. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    That looks good. I seriously need a good chicken recipe. I periodically ban chicken from my kitchen, I just can't find a good recipe or a good technique to cook it.

I have not had any luck with the thighs, the texture always seems rubbery to me.
    Do you think it would be good on bone in chicken breast? 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    GregW said:
    That looks good. I seriously need a good chicken recipe. I periodically ban chicken from my kitchen, I just can't find a good recipe or a good technique to cook it.

I have not had any luck with the thighs, the texture always seems rubbery to me.
    Do you think it would be good on bone in chicken breast? 
    I absolutely think it would be good on breasts. As for thighs, you might consider cooking them to a higher temp, maybe 180-185°.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Looks great. I prefer marinades for any types of chicken. Actually just bought a bunch of Weber marinades from the store earlier.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Looks great. I prefer marinades for any types of chicken. Actually just bought a bunch of Weber marinades from the store earlier.
    haha, I'm usually too impatient for marinades, or I forget I was supposed to have started it hours ago. Much easier to rub. But I need to work on that. Marinades are GREAT!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut