Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Raising the grille

Options
Teefus
Teefus Posts: 1,208
What's the hot ticket for raising the grille up to plate setter level, but without the plate setter? 
Michiana, South of the border.

Comments

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Up to gasket level? Get a PsWoo or Adjustable Rig from ceramic grill store 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    The Woo option is cheaper if you don't want to go above the gasket line. Lots of us own the Woo and the AR as you get lots of cooking options that way.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    I use bricks ..narrow fire brick
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    The cgs items are by far the most vesitlie on the market. Great stuff. Smokeware also sells a "Raiser" that lifts the grid to felt line. L and XL I think available. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    A second grate and some bricks wrapped in foil. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    A second grid and three carriage bolts.
    You can even put a pizza stone on the lower grid for indirect.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    The woo looks like the solution I'm after. Thanks. 
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • UncleBilly
    UncleBilly Posts: 225
    Options
    +1 on the bolts and extra grid.  Mine raises it a couple of inches above the gasket.  This has given good results.  That being said, an Adjustable Rig and Spider from CSG are in my future at some point.  
    XL  Central Ohio
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    edited March 2017
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    I use bricks ..narrow fire brick
    So do I!

I pay $10 for 8 of them at a local home improvement center called Menards. All you need are two of them and set them on edge. Over the years I know I have purchased at least 24 or maybe 32. Other than my 2 original bricks that I still use I have given away all the others! Talk about cheap gifts for newbie eggers these rock! Besides, unless they really try extremely hard to break these then those 2 bricks are a lifetime gift! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    3 x fire bricks to sit in the 3 x recesses in the ring. Size to duplicate the plate setter leg size. A decent stove place will cut the brick to size for you. 
  • etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    Options
    Agree. Bricks the easiest way. I did that for years but  now use a woo. 
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Solid red bricks are fine. They were baked at 2000+ degrees and are a lot cheaper than fire bricks.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.