Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Chicken Pizza!

Options
This is my second attempt at pizza on the Egg.  Did a pepperoni, a BBQ Chicken and two pans of cheese bread tonight.  I was cooking for 10 people.  Cooked the pies at 500 degrees for 7 minutes.  I put the the pizza stone on my raised grid with PS legs up and heated everything to a bit over 500 degrees.  Added a couple of chunks of hickory wood.  This is the first time I've ever had pizza with some woodsmoke flavor to it.  Loved it.  

XL  Central Ohio

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Great job man!  Happy diners for sure.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • UncleBilly
    UncleBilly Posts: 225
    Options
    Thanks @bgebrent!  I basically duplicated the process you outlined in your shrimp pizza post. Your's looked great.  Can't argue with success!  
    XL  Central Ohio
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Thanks @bgebrent!  I basically duplicated the process you outlined in your shrimp pizza post. Your's looked great.  Can't argue with success!  
    Great!  Glad something I posted helped a brother get a good cook.  Nice work.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Second time and you crushed it!

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Nice!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Bottom of the crust looks perfect- I love BBQ chicken pizzas!

One question, how long did you let the grill warm up? For pizzas I typically let everything in the egg sit at high temp for an hour. You will build heat in the ceramics and get some radiant heat that will brown the top crust too. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    I like to let mine warm up as well for atleast 45 min. 

I do the grate, plate setter, spider from CGS upside down and then the pizza stone. Great air gap and gets its plenty high. 

Bbq chicken is our favorite!
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • UncleBilly
    UncleBilly Posts: 225
    Options
    It took about 50 minutes for the Egg and pizza stone to reach 500 Degrees.  I checked the temp of the stone with a laser thermometer I picked at Harbor Freight for $14.00.   The Egg seems to get to 500 a bit before the stone does and seems to take a lot longer to heat up with the PS and pizza stone in place.  With both the PS and stone in there I assume that those are soaking up a lot of energy from the coals that would have otherwise gone to heating the Egg, they also block the airflow between bottom and top vents .  

I guess the the short answer @Wolfpack is not quite an hour for everything to heat up.  I think I'll try closing the Daisy Wheel all the way when I put the pizza in to let more heat radiate down onto the top of the pizza.  Thoughts from anyone on how to get the tops and bottoms equally browned?
    XL  Central Ohio
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Damn great looking pizza
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    It took about 50 minutes for the Egg and pizza stone to reach 500 Degrees.  I checked the temp of the stone with a laser thermometer I picked at Harbor Freight for $14.00.   The Egg seems to get to 500 a bit before the stone does and seems to take a lot longer to heat up with the PS and pizza stone in place.  With both the PS and stone in there I assume that those are soaking up a lot of energy from the coals that would have otherwise gone to heating the Egg, they also block the airflow between bottom and top vents .  

I guess the the short answer @Wolfpack is not quite an hour for everything to heat up.  I think I'll try closing the Daisy Wheel all the way when I put the pizza in to let more heat radiate down onto the top of the pizza.  Thoughts from anyone on how to get the tops and bottoms equally browned?
    The key would be to have it all around the same temp. If your stone is too hot and your dough has a bunch of sugar, you can burn the crust before the toppings are done.

I wouldn't suggest closing the top down too terribly much myself. You'd really just be choking the fire. You want the radiant heat from the dome and the heat in the top to brown your toppings.

The other thing is to not have them all so cold when you put the toppings on as well I've found..
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax