Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone familiar with Turbostream?

Options
I'm looking at ways to use less lump and make nightly cooking on my LBGE more economical as well as easy.

Been thinking of a MM or Small but stumbled across Turbostream products and wondered how practical they would be. Definitely cheaper than getting another egg.

Anyone have have the Turbostream system? Are they worth the money? How well do they work?

Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
MiniMax 04/17
Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I first saw them at the Georgia Mountain Eggfest 2 years ago. Met the owner and talked about the design for a long time. Great guy and a very well made, solid, stainless steel product. But I have only seen them demo and have not cooked with them.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    I have the system and love it. I use that elevated charcoal basket routinely for grilling. Your grid is close to the charcoal and it uses very, very little charcoal. I haven't used my mini in 3 years since getting that. An excellent accessory that literally gives you two eggs in one........highly recommended~~!!
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    Looks interesting and all but I personally don't see the savings in charcoal consumption offsetting the cost of the unit. Just not for me, but to each their own. 
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Looks interesting and all but I personally don't see the savings in charcoal consumption offsetting the cost of the unit. Just not for me, but to each their own. 
    The charcoal saving wasn't the issue. The issue was: do you need to buy another egg or buy the Turbostream system, which is a lot cheaper but with less flexibility as opposed to having two eggs.
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
     I have had these products stored in my favorites for a while. They look well made and I really want to find a way to run direct/indirect cooks simultaneously as I do on my kettle. That small basket would be key for a hot sear! The diffuser plate looks like a real good idea, but it sits so low that I know I won't have enough fuel for a big brisket or shoulder clod. Maybe fall short on bone in butts as well. For ribs(or any shorter L/S cook) or baking bread the more even heat distribution would be great.

Some day I will pull the trigger. It won't eliminate my need for the platesetter, but for a reasonable sum can make the BGE more versatile.

Jim
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    Never heard of it before now. Seems like it would definitely save lump on direct cooks, assuming you are only loading half of the food grid. With lump at a dollar a pound it would not take long to pay for itself.  When reading lump reviews on the Naked Whiz's page check out the date and price of lump. The price has about doubled in ten years. And lump prices are only going to go higher.

• OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 903
    Options
    If you like the idea, the Smokeware Fire Basket is another similar option to consider:
    https://smokeware.com/collections/grill-accessories/products/fire-basket

I have one and can confirm that it works as advertised.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
    OhioEgger said:
    If you like the idea, the Smokeware Fire Basket is another similar option to consider:

Oh boy. More options to consider. This looks to be a nice combination of a "semi Kick Ash Basket" with a divided firebox option. It does not, however, address the lump height for searing like the Turbostream raised basket does. Decisions,decisions, decisions!
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    OhioEgger said:

I've had these in our shop now for better than a year and haven't put one to work yet. I think I'm gonna change that. Thanks for the heads up.