Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

For a good cause

Options
I have a friend who is building a large care package to send to troops that are deployed around the world. Alan (My Friend) lost his son in combat in Baghdad in 2007 and started the Unsung Hero Fund in his son's name. The foundation has shipped over 13 tons of care items all over the world since 2007. They are currently in need of video game consoles and games to complete their next shipment and I told Alan I would help with this effort. 

So- anyone who can help please contact me or just click the link below to donate cash so we can buy some consoles and games for them. Alan is looking for anyone who can donate consoles and/or games (or a little cash so we can pool it together and buy them) or anyone who can sell them at a discounted rate so he can get more for the money. I don't have any access to those things so I donated some cash. I figure if we can pool some smaller cash donations we should be able to build enough to buy a few consoles and some games. Anything will help and 100% goes to the foundation. 

Below is the link to the foundation.You can read about their mission and donate there as well.  If you are donating cash, just do it directly at the site. If you have some games or consoles to donate, or any other things you think would help, just message me and I'll ask Alan how to handle that. Feel free to pass it along to anyone you think may want to help. 

Thanks

Tex

https://unsungherofund.org/

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• EggObsessed
    EggObsessed Posts: 786
    Options
    Done!
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Thanks Kelly! I know Alan will appreciate it. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    I just donated via Pay Pal!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    Done!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Thanks guys- Too generous. I know Alan will be very grateful for the support.

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Annnnnddddd D-O-N-E done. 
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Donation Sent.
    Greg
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Good on you cen TEX. 
  • RRP
    Options
    Bump!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Good on you cen TEX. 
    Thanks all! Alan said he's seen several donations come through. Good people on here. Much appreciated. 
  • EggObsessed
    EggObsessed Posts: 786
    Options
    Bump
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • pluffmud
    pluffmud Posts: 15
    Options
    Done...donation sent.  Thanks for doing this for our troops!
    "The Lowcountry" (Mt. Pleasant, SC) ~ LBGE
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Thanks guys. It's not me. I'm just trying to help my friend who has lived all this for real. I am just passing it along- he is where the rubber meets the road. Ive had many late night bourbons with him and it's still very tough for him after 10 years. He's feeling the love for sure and I really appreciate the kindness 
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Done!

My heart goes out to your friend and his family. I'm sure the healing will take a lifetime. Thanks to all of those who serve and protect, as well as those who have done so in the past.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I appreciate the opportunity to assist. Thank you for posting. It is done.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • RRP
    Options
    bump!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Thank you all for helping out! 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I thought this was really cool. Nascar is honoring fallen heroes this weekend with "600 miles of Remebrance" and my friend's son, Peter Burks, will be honored on Trevor Bayne's car in the Coca Cola 600 tonight. Not a big NASCAR fan but I'll be watching Trevor tonight.

“600 Miles of Remembrance” 

Bayne and the No. 6 Ford will participate in “600 Miles of Remembrance” on Memorial Day Weekend to honor military service members and their families.

For this weekend, the name of 2nd Lieutenant Peter Burks of the United States Army will adorn the windshield of the No. 6 Roush Fenway Ford.

Peter Haskell Burks was born on April 10, 1981 in Atlanta, Ga. and was a graduate of the Trinity Christian Academy and Texas A&M University. After graduation from college, Burks worked as a tour guide in Nice, France before returning stateside to work for the Dallas Cowboys, the Dallas Desperados and FC Dallas.

Burks joined the United States Army in 2006 where he went to the Officer Candidate School. He was deployed to Iraq as part of “Operation Iraqi Freedom” in the summer of 2007 where he was assigned to the 4th Squadron, 2ndStryker Cavalry Regiment.

Burks was killed in action on Nov. 14, 2007 as a result of wounds sustained when his vehicle was struck by an improvised explosive device just outside of the Green Zone in Baghdad.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Last update: "Over a half-ton of soldier care packages have arrived at their deployment location.  Thanks to all who helped on this mission.  4/2 SCR, enjoy and know that folks back home care about you."

the stuff we donated is in the hands of the deployed troops overseas as we speak. Thanks all. The foundation really appreciated the support!