Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Corned beef or pastrami

Options
GlennM
GlennM Posts: 1,365
i am seeing all kinds of deals on corned beef right now. I just got a new instant pot and was thinking about an interesting way to prepare one of these. I was thinking to soak it overnight to remove some salt, smoking it for a few hours in the egg and then finishing it in the instant pot (not sure of the timing)

Any thoughts on this process would be appreciated! 
In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 

Comments

• Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    Options
    I don't have an instapot . But am going along the same route with a SRF corned beef I picked up at Costco. 
  • Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    Options
    If you're going to do the cook on the 17th, then go with Corned Beef :)
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    @GlennM   What you are describing is basically the process for making/cooking pastrami.  Check out the forum discussions on pastrami for lots of ideas.  Another good read is Meathead's approach.  You can use your instant pot for the steaming stage.
    http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/close_to_katzs_home_made_pastrami.html
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Doing the exact same method. Smoking until 180 then pressure cooking for 20 min

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• GlennM
    Options
    I'm putting this point on now. I soaked it with 3 changes of water and dried it for 36 hrs in the fridge. Not sure how I want to finish it?  May take it to 180. We have a sous vide and an instant pot 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/05/beef-pastrami.html

There is a lot of information there. Cliff notes on the favorite method:
    Smoke to 150 internal, then finish in the pressure cooker for 25-40 minutes. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
     To me, pastrami has it all over corned beef. But it really should be made with beef navel. Just got to be too expensive for most places to continue doing this. Corned beef from brisket can be spiced/smoked to be pretty damn good pastrami though! A steam or pressure finish results in the right texture for that Jewish deli result.
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • GlennM
    Options
    Well it's smoking now at 225

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    I'm waiting for some price drops on corned beef now that the holiday has passed.
    Pastrami in my future, standing by for your results  :)
    Jacksonville FL
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    I don't understand the difference? One is boiled while the other is smoked or steamed? 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @bhedges1987 pastrami is like corned beef taken to the next level. There's a spice rub predominantly with black pepper and coriander, and it's smoked. Then may be steamed to really tenderize it. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • GlennM
    Options
    I just took it off, it's been stalled at 150 for quite a while now. It's in the instant pot with some apple juice. I'll check it after 30 minutes of steam. It was chewy off the bbq

• GlennM
    Options
    All done. Tastes good, not quite as tender as I hoped but very good

• Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    I did a Pastrami this weekend. I took a Costco Corned Beef Brisket and soaked it in water for about 10 hours to desalinate, changing the water every couple hours. Following that I coated the meat with ground coriander and black pepper, plus a little Kosher salt. It sat in a ziplock overnight.

Yesterday I threw it on the Egg with some Pecan chunks. It went 3 hours in pretty heavy smoke at 300 or so. Then I put in in a foil pan on a grate to raise it off the bottom, adding an inch of beef broth for a steaming medium. I sealed the top with foil and put it back on the Egg to steam for 3 hours. I pulled it at 208 degrees. After a good long rest it was still a little chewy. The connective tissue hadn't quite rendered out. I wrapped it tight in foil and threw it in the oven for a couple hours at 225. It's melt in your mouth tender now. Looking forward to sandwiches tonight.
    Michiana, South of the border.