Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

3.75 lb Pork Roast

Options
UncleBilly
UncleBilly Posts: 225
I'm looking to smoke a 3.75 lb pork roast on my XL Egg tomorrow.  This is your basic pork roast, not a pork shoulder.  My goal is to slice and serve rather than pull/shred the final product.  Any advice on how much time I should budget for this cook? 

Also,  this will be my first low & slow cook on an Egg.  I've been running a Weber Smokey Mountain for several years and am comfortable with cooking ribs, brisket, poultry, etc. on that, but even on that one I've never done a pork roast.  

Should I plan to use my Maverick thermometer to monitor the grate temp and the meat temp, or can I skip the probe on the grate and use the dome temperature gauge to monitor the temp of the cooker?

I am shooting for the roast to reach 135-145 degrees.  

Thanks for for the help!  I'll try to post some updates as things proceed tomorrow.
XL  Central Ohio

Comments

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    You won't go wrong monitoring the temp's.
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I've done this cook a few times.  At 350 it will be 75-90 minutes is my guess, but I use a maverick and cook to temp.  Ruhlman has a good spicy rub for a loin roast like this.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Here's a link to a great recipe for a pork loin (don't know if that is the same as a pork roast) cook:
    http://www.bubbatim.com/Pork_Cooks.php  If you go that route change up the filling as you want.  No holds barred.  And as above-nail the finish temp and you are there.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • UncleBilly
    Options
    Thanks guys!  I rubbed the roast with kosher salt and injected it with the pork brine injection from AmazingRibs.com.  Cooked it at 250 for 3 hours until it reached an internal temp of 145 degrees on my Maverick probe.  Meat was juicy and fairly tender.  Wife and kids thought it was OK, but said they were hoping to shred it.  After dinner I wrapped it in foil and put it back on the Egg.  I'll see if taking taking it up to 203 degrees makes it fall apart or dry out.  
    XL  Central Ohio
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
     A lean cut of pork will be real dry at typical pulling temps. Lacking the fat and connective tissue of a Boston Butt or Shoulder it will simply be way overcooked.
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • UncleBilly
    Options
    Pulled it off about an hour ago and you are correct - it was dried out.  Wasn't quite jerky, but was much better when I pulled it off the cooker the first time.  Looks like the bone is a knee and leg bone.  The butcher paper was just labeled "pork roast" but didn't elaborate on what type of cut it was.  Live and learn.  The dog will enjoy a few days of meaty treats. 
    XL  Central Ohio