Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

O/T Kites

Options
Remember kites? Yes, one of the great 'toys' of yesteryear. 

I was fortunate to learn how to make my own kite early in life using strips of bamboo, scrap cloth, newspaper, string and flour-paste. And after a few crashes at first, I was so proud to be able to keep my kite dancing in the wind way up in the sky. It was pure magic to a five year old and still is when I think back to a simpler time long ago and long forgotten by most people. 

I was just happy to keep my kite up in the wind, but in my little mind, every move it made was a wonder-filled delight that makes me smile even now 70 years later. 

And that experience was just re-lived for a few minutes while I watched the greatest display of kite-flying I've ever seen. I found myself smiling throughout the performance. I think you will too. Take a look... It's called, "Romancing The Wind" and performed by Ray Bethell. 

https://www.youtube.com/embed/nr9KrqN_lIg 

Full Screen, Volume up... 

Spring "Look, Up In The Sky" Chicken 
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    That's some talent. I can hardly chew gum and walk at the same time. Flying three kites at the same time is impressive. Wow
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    i remember when paper kites were 25 cents, baby bats were 99 cents, and the 2 string acrobat was a buck fifty. kite wars with an acrobat was the best =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Neat!

I used to do a lot of stunt kite flying a couple decades ago but never tried to fly three independently controlled kites simultaneously.

Would have loved to have seen more of him in the video to see how he was doing that.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    WOW!!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    When I was a kid every year my dad would make us an extra large kite. Once launched we would add roll after roll of string until we could barely see it. After flying it all day, us, and some of the kids in the neighborhood would all pile in the pickup (remember when kids riding in the back of a pickup did not involve a 911 call?) and go park under it. After a set interval the next door neighbor would cut the string and we would chase it. Good memories. Thanks for the post Mr. Chicken.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Not the video I normally see coming off the ranch there....but enjoyed watching. I to this day, still have a kite. I take it to the beach when ever I go....and still love to fly it. I don't have the skills for an elaborate show....but generally get it up and let her fly throughout the day. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    I've had the pleasure of watching Ray fly his kites at a number of festivals.  He is amazing to watch.  He will fly his three kite formation for hours and hours ... always with a smile.  He's traveled all around the world as a sponsored flyer demonstrating his skill at international kite festivals.

It's hard to explain how talented he is.  Most dual line flyers are content to control a single kite holding one line with each hand.  That he can fly three kites so well is simply amazing.

Here is a video of an interview Ray did where he explains how he came to be deaf and why he loves to fly his kites ... the video shows a little more of how he controls the trio of kites:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3rK8-39AhQ

And here is a second video that dedicates more time to showing how Ray controlling his kites:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AR0Ab8MiVvs

Thanks for posting about this amazing guy.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    So fun!  Ha!  Bat kite fights sure bring back memories.  Thinking I need to go fly a kite this March...
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Kite's are a lot of fun. I remember flying a kite in the afternoon in the pasture and when night came I would tie it to the fence. It was always fun to see if it managed to stay up all night. If I got lucky sometimes in March it would still be flying when I returned in the morning. Great memories.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    I knew opening his thread, there'd be video. Aaaaaaand there's a video.  =)
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,896
    Options
    I've had the pleasure of watching Ray fly his kites at a number of festivals.  He is amazing to watch.  He will fly his three kite formation for hours and hours ... always with a smile.  He's traveled all around the world as a sponsored flyer demonstrating his skill at international kite festivals.

It's hard to explain how talented he is.  Most dual line flyers are content to control a single kite holding one line with each hand.  That he can fly three kites so well is simply amazing.

Here is a video of an interview Ray did where he explains how he came to be deaf and why he loves to fly his kites ... the video shows a little more of how he controls the trio of kites:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3rK8-39AhQ

And here is a second video that dedicates more time to showing how Ray controlling his kites:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AR0Ab8MiVvs

Thanks for posting about this amazing guy.
    Tom, you paid your respects to this amazing guy who has mastered something that few people in this world will ever be capable of doing! Now for the record won't you please post some of your own pictures/videos as I know you are heavily into this kite flying sport and travel to events with your own cool kites. Come on, Tom...don't be so modest! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    I fly kites a lot like I cook on the egg ... one of my mates and me flying single line kites:

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Wow, just finished the video.  Incredible!  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    I fly kites a lot like I cook on the egg ... one of my mates and me flying single line kites:

You wouldn't be smiling if you realized that your son was robbing your freezer blind at this exact moment. 
  • Jeepster47
    Options

You wouldn't be smiling if you realized that your son was robbing your freezer blind at this exact moment. 
    The smile is 'cuz we're on the Huntington Beach, CA, waterfront in March and my son is back in Illinois in the cold ... plus he didn't have a BGE at that time, so the freezer was safe.

• Jeepster47
    Options
    @RRP ... here's a pic when we visited Canyon de Chelly and I was able to get in a little flying time with no worries about ground clearance:

And a quick stop at Cadillac Ranch to play with the cars. You do know that Texas also sports a Bug Ranch don't you?:

As for a video, here's one that is probably boring unless you're a sport kite flyer and understand the challenge of flying 81 Revolution kites in various formations.  Imagine 7.4 miles of spectra line at a cost of about $6,000.  My profile shows up at about 2 minutes in to the video wearing a red IKE sweatshirt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rexKhhc7sLM

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    WOW!  Impressive. Thanks....

Spring "Kites Are The Original Drone" Chicken