Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smobot is up and running on Kickstarter

HeavyG
HeavyG Posts: 10,323
Just a reminder that the Smobot project is now up and running on Kickstarter.

Support it early and save a few bucks.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/smobot/smobot-robotic-grill-and-smoker-controller/description
“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

Comments

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    just pledged $249...
  • Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    So if I understand it correctly it controls the temp
    by making minute adjustments on the daisy wheel? While other tempature controls induct air they the bottom vent with a fan? Do those minute daisy wheel adjustment react fast enough and don't overshoot temps?
  • HeavyG
    Hntnhrd said:
    by making minute adjustments on the daisy wheel? While other tempature controls induct air they the bottom vent with a fan? Do those minute daisy wheel adjustment react fast enough and don't overshoot temps?
    Yes.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Deluca
    Deluca Posts: 148
    Digi Q took a nose dive on me so I said what the hell and backed this. I'll know in June if it works. 
    There are 2 main reasons I'm trying it:
    1. I don't have to hook up the blower.
    2. Wifi connectivity looks to be simple. 
  • evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    I am in, just pledged. I was one of the Beta Testers, it is a great product and well worth the money spent. I am excited-hope the fundraiser is successful!

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    Hntnhrd said:
    Correct. I was a Beta Tester, never had an issue with over shooting temp. It controlled it very well, within about 5 degrees which is pretty much on target. I cooked multiple briskets over night with this and had great results.

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • HeavyG
    evie1370 said:
    I am in, just pledged. I was one of the Beta Testers, it is a great product and well worth the money spent. I am excited-hope the fundraiser is successful!
    I hope he succeeds also.

He's going to need about 200 people to sign on to reach his funding goal. That might be a tough ask.

• reinhart36
    reinhart36 Posts: 253
    @HeavyG - Thanks for the post and support!

We're 8 minutes in officially... Nerve racking! :)

https://goo.gl/clWSJQ

A big thanks in advance to anyone you takes a look and/or backs the project.

kind regards,
    Eric
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    @HeavyG - Thanks for the post and support!

We're 8 minutes in officially... Nerve racking! :)

https://goo.gl/clWSJQ

A big thanks in advance to anyone you takes a look and/or backs the project.

kind regards,
    Eric
    Hope you do well...
    If your next model retrofits onto a SmokeWare Cap and operates the SmokeWare vents I'm in! 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    HeavyG said:
    Hntnhrd said:
    Yes.
    Go to the link @HeavyG posted, there's a 5 minute video on what it does and how simple it is to use. I love mine and use on almost all my cooks.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    1. Like the idea, cool, etc.  I hope all goes well.

2. No shelter!  Lets poke (good natured) fun!

As a long-time culinary enthusiast and cook, Eric (SMOBOT co-founder) got his large Big Green Egg in 2010 and quickly fell in love with kamado grill cooking and smoking.  Sadly, he found that a busy life schedule made it inconvenient to cook with because he had to hang around the house and monitor it for hours to keep it on temperature. 

Eric, I hope you pull through.  I cried in my brisket.  So sad.. 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,944
    Another Beta Tester here.  It works really well.  Looking forward to a successful launch!

I have two blower style controllers and this easily works as well.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Another Beta Tester here.  It works really well.  Looking forward to a successful launch!

I have two blower style controllers and this easily works as well.
    I do like the possibility that this unit uses less power by not having a fan and could run longer being powered by a portable battery pack.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Agree with @Ozzie_Isaac it works well on my xl.  Not to mention the customer support and service has been amazing.  

@reinhart36 any idea in when the app will be done?  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• reinhart36
    reinhart36 Posts: 253
    Hi guys - thanks for the kind words and support!

The apps should definitely be done by June .. I hope sooner.  I'll definitely let you know when there's something for you to start playing with.
  • motsol
    motsol Posts: 28
    being at the beach I worry about corrosion on the wheel, what is it made of? Seems like it could stick easily. 
  • JacksDad
    JacksDad Posts: 538

Maybe I'm missing it... What's the difference between the $229 and $249 price points...? 

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    This was in their comments @jacksdad :

They are exactly the same. It is common on Kickstarter to offer an "Early Bird" price for those that back a project early. The $229 price is our early bird and limited to 50 units. Thanks for your interest
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    kl8ton said:

They are exactly the same. It is common on Kickstarter to offer an "Early Bird" price for those that back a project early. The $229 price is our early bird and limited to 50 units. Thanks for your interest
    Interested in why people were buying the $249 price when the cheaper price was still available 
  • HeavyG
    kl8ton said:

Interested in why people were buying the $249 price when the cheaper price was still available 
    Some folks like to contribute a few more bucks to help a project reach its goal. I've done that before. If this project gets close to its goal but is looking like it may not make it in the last couple days I'll probably buy at least one more to help out and try to get it across the finish line.

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    FYI ... Using a 23,000mAh battery pack, my run time with the Beta version looks to be somewhere North of 60~75 hours on a single charge ... that's three brisket cooks on one charge! 

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• JacksDad
    kl8ton said:

Thanks, I knew I was probably missing it somewhere... Giving this some thought, looks like a cool gadget! 

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• JacksDad
    JacksDad said:
    kl8ton said:

Thanks, I knew I was probably missing it somewhere... Giving this some thought, looks like a cool gadget! 

Of course, I already have a FB200. If I get a smobot, I guess I'll need to buy a second egg for it (thinking a nice XL to pair with my large...)! It's only logical, right? 

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• motsol said:
    being at the beach I worry about corrosion on the wheel, what is it made of? Seems like it could stick easily. 
    I'm assuming Curtis can address this (living in coastal Florida and all). What I can say is that a thin coating of grease will coat the damper after you start using it and I think cast iron would be fine.
  • FYI ... Using a 23,000mAh battery pack, my run time with the Beta version looks to be somewhere North of 60~75 hours on a single charge ... that's three brisket cooks on one charge! 
    How did you adapt it to the battery pack? Sure, I'm getting a new one.  But that's whole months away :-)
  • Lvnthedrm
    Lvnthedrm Posts: 153
    Any plans for Minimax support down the road? I have the FB200. Works great on the large but so far I have found the blower overpowering in the MM...due to the small space, it creates a small pocket of hot coals at the backend of the MM directly across from the blower creating a very uneven lump burn.
    The smobot would eliminate this problem.
  • SoCalTim said:
    HeavyG said:
    Hntnhrd said:
    Yes.
    Go to the link @HeavyG posted, there's a 5 minute video on what it does and how simple it is to use. I love mine and use on almost all my cooks.
    Two minutes on the video. I cut it, so I've watched it more than anyone else on the planet. I think I would have driven Curtis nuts trying to fill five minutes ("So I want you to think about your motivation as you slap at your iPhone to stop the alarm. Can you do it with a little more existential despair?")
  • Deluca said:
    Digi Q took a nose dive on me so I said what the hell and backed this. I'll know in June if it works. 
    There are 2 main reasons I'm trying it:
    1. I don't have to hook up the blower.
    2. Wifi connectivity looks to be simple. 
    One can never say something will work to satisfy another, but I've been very, very happy with my beta unit. Money well-spent.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    FYI ... Using a 23,000mAh battery pack, my run time with the Beta version looks to be somewhere North of 60~75 hours on a single charge ... that's three brisket cooks on one charge! 
    How did you adapt it to the battery pack? Sure, I'm getting a new one.  But that's whole months away :-)
    @tom_streeter ... the Beta version had a pocket for two 9-volt batteries AND a  9 volt DC input receptacle.  The battery pack came with a short 9 volt jumper cable that worked perfectly.  I simply stack the battery pack and SmoBot in my rain box.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max