Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wok'ing

Options
Did some cashew chicken today on ththe mini. 

Kansas City, Missouri
Large Egg
Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    Looks like a winner! I believe the use of a wok on a BGE is such a natural extension of it's capabilities that I wonder why more people don't wok. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    RRP said:
    Looks like a winner! I believe the use of a wok on a BGE is such a natural extension of it's capabilities that I wonder why more people don't wok. 
    Got a hand made wok on order for delivery in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to this arriving.
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    edited March 2017
    Options
    RRP said:
    Yeah.... I think it would be quite a bit better on a larger egg with a larger wok. My next purchase from CGS will include one for the large.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Looks great from here!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • RRP
    Options
    RRP said:
    Yeah.... I think it would be quite a bit better on a larger egg with a larger wok. My next purchase from CSG will include one for the large.
    I bought my wok for my large from Tom at the same time I bought a spider from him. To me the spider is a great eggcessory to enhance the use of a wok. Legs up with the wok on your cook can be fast and furious or legs down far better control especially when woking different ingredients before rejoining them for the grand finale!
  • clifkincaid
    clifkincaid Posts: 572
    Options
    RRP said:
    Because I have 0 clue how to wok :s
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,082
    Options
    Lovely looking cook, bravo.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    RRP said:
    Because I have 0 clue how to wok :s
    It's fun. Jump in the pool. A little research of @Mattman3969 or @sciaggie treads will get you going. 
  • Davie755
    Davie755 Posts: 54
    Options
    Good photography, sir. Food looks great!
    XL BGE - Adjustable rig combo, Rutland gasket, 4:11 Positrac outback, 750 double pumper, Edelbrock intake
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    That looks great. It makes me want to pull out the wok and stir fry something myself. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    I definitely need to jump in the pool.  Bought a wok for my XL months ago and still haven't used it yet. :s
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Damn. That looks fantastic. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Thanks all. For you wok users, how do you regulate temp? Seems the fire gets pretty hot with the lid open. I seem to have enough time to cook 1 meal before it starts getting too hot.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• clifkincaid
    clifkincaid Posts: 572
    Options
    Just ordered a carbon steel wok,wok holder and some tools. Guess it's time to jump in feet first.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Thanks all. For you wok users, how do you regulate temp? Seems the fire gets pretty hot with the lid open. I seem to have enough time to cook 1 meal before it starts getting too hot.
    Once I start wokkin I will totally close the bottom vent.  I usually will stabilize about 450-500 before the wok goes on. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • RRP
    Options
    Sort of like Mattman says, but I always put my wok on my spider and bring the egg up to more like 350. Then after opening my dome I close my bottom vent all together. I've found that for the amount of time needed to wok a meal to perfection then the fire will not become an inferno.