Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buck fever

Options
Focker
Focker Posts: 8,364
edited March 2017 in Off Topic
Was about to pull the trigger on a custom elk scaled, S30V clip point, finger grooved, nickel bolstered Buck 110 at the Buck Custom Shop for $183 plus tax and shipping.

Then I saw a few drop points in S30V, but not available at the custom shop?  So much better blade geometry, no nail nick, I had to have one.

Stumbled upon DLT Trading, about 45 minutes north of Green Bay.  Jason teamed up with Buck for a limited run of 500 110s, American Walnut, S30V drop, traditional brass, nickel Buck plate, distressed brown leather sheath.  
http://www.dlttrading.com/buck-110-ultimate-hunter-s30v-limited-edition

Arguably, one of the best knife designs of the last 60 years.  Yeah it doesn't flip out fast, is a little heavy, doesn't have a pocket clip, but the fit, finish, lockup, grind, centering, shaving sharp edge, pretty much every thing about this beast, is absolutely outstanding for 80 bucks each on my doorstep, in 2 days.
Spoke with Jason at DLT over the phone twice, really nice dude, and helpful.

May have my son's engraved with our last name, he will receive it as he gets older.

For now he can muck up the Walmartina special for $27.   You can see the traditional clip point with nail nick.

I'm sure there are a few brothers of the flame here that have fond memories of this knife.  I had a generic Schrade ripoff growing up.  Whether scouts, hunting, military, or farming, it has withstood the test of time.  A legendary design, that feels so damn right in the hand.  

Well, I'm gonna shut up now.
Without further adew, the badest $80 knife out there.  So look forward to breaking it in prepping meals at the camper.

Walnut, on walnut, on walnut.  Dad will get the dark one.  =)

Thought the hunters out there may be interested in this, makes for a nice heirloom quality, classic, gift.

Thanks fer lookin'

Brandon
Quad Cities
"If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

Comments

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Good looking blades, I have one up in my collection. I use my EDC like a multi tool so I try not to carry one that pretty. (Lesson learned from early years of scouting and hunting)

But it I don't think I could go back to no pocket clip. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Dinah_Moe_Humm
    Options
    I admit that I don't know what I'm talking about here.  But, I saw your knife and I have one too.  I think?  My ex-father-in-law gave me this when he taught me to hunt and handle a rifle.  It's one of my prized possessions. I've cleaned a few deer with it and the knife worked really well.  Just thought I'd show it to you.

D'you think I could interest you in a pair of zircon-encrusted tweezers?

Newtown Square, PA
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I admit that I don't know what I'm talking about here.  But, I saw your knife and I have one too.  I think?  My ex-father-in-law gave me this when he taught me to hunt and handle a rifle.  It's one of my prized possessions. I've cleaned a few deer with it and the knife worked really well.  Just thought I'd show it to you.

Reminds me of day's gone by, when the boy's could carry knives like this in high school. No one would dare attempt to use the knife they carried in a fight.

Now days the entire school would be on lock down if they found the smallest pocket knife on a student. The student would also be permanently expelled.

Times have changed and not for the better.......... 
  • Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    Options
    Focker, thank you. I'm sure my dad will love it for Father's Day. Or so I hope. I just bought a benchmade for an edc. It's ordered and I await. 
  • CountryBoy
    CountryBoy Posts: 102
    Options
    Those are beauties! I've never been much of one to carry around a pocket knife much other than when I'm hunting or looking the woods over for mushrooms. Always liked the buck knives. I've always liked kershaw knives too! And for skinning game I prefer an outdoor edge flip and zip! Considering my hobbies and living in the country all my life I should be more of a knife man! Kinda like the ole trusty gun you always grab when heading to the stand! Every man should have their favorite knife too!
  • Focker
    Options
    Good looking blades, I have one up in my collection. I use my EDC like a multi tool so I try not to carry one that pretty. (Lesson learned from early years of scouting and hunting)

But it I don't think I could go back to no pocket clip. 
    Thanks K & G,
    This won't be EDC, but will come along camping, fishing, hunting, and eggfests or tailgaiting.

Don't let the pretty looks fool you, these knives are built to be used, and used hard.  I'm not one to collect safe queens, everything I do chose to collect, gets used.  Reminds me of a philosophical story my dad's buddy Les Baer told me at his kitchen table, about how his near death experience got him driving the Shelby Cobra more. 

Not having to grip a clip is quite nice actually, and don't really mind freeing up the front pocket a little.  At 7.5 oz, it is heavy, compared to the cute flippers today.  But I'm 320, and absorb that well. Lol
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @focker I'm sure that is a story worthy of a few cold ones around a fire!

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Focker
    edited March 2017
    Options

Thanks for sharing the good stuff my friend.

From what I have gathered, the older 110s are a bit nicer than the resin impregnated Dymondwood newer ones.  More than likely, better steel too.

Love the patina and grain on yours man, so cool.  These things just get better with time/use.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    edited March 2017
    Options
    GregW said:

Reminds me of day's gone by, when the boy's could carry knives like this in high school. No one would dare attempt to use the knife they carried in a fight.

Now days the entire school would be on lock down if they found the smallest pocket knife on a student. The student would also be permanently expelled.

Times have changed and not for the better.......... 
    Couldn't agree with you more bud.
    We are becoming a nation of lazy, spoon fed, powder puff pansies.

Thought this message from Chuck, was a nice touch.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    Moleman said:
    Focker, thank you. I'm sure my dad will love it for Father's Day. Or so I hope. I just bought a benchmade for an edc. It's ordered and I await. 
    No problem, he will absolutely love this special Father's Day gift no doubt.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    Those are beauties! I've never been much of one to carry around a pocket knife much other than when I'm hunting or looking the woods over for mushrooms. Always liked the buck knives. I've always liked kershaw knives too! And for skinning game I prefer an outdoor edge flip and zip! Considering my hobbies and living in the country all my life I should be more of a knife man! Kinda like the ole trusty gun you always grab when heading to the stand! Every man should have their favorite knife too!
    Thanks CB,
    Got a soft spot for Kershaws, have a couple of Damascus G10 Skylines, S30V G10 Blurs, and standard Leeks.....huge fan.

Outdoor Edge makes great stuff.
    Still have my old Case pocket knife from when I was a boy, my dad's preferred choice in knives.  Never had an actual Buck, until now.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities