Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken Satay and Rookie Mistake

Options
bgebrent
bgebrent Posts: 19,636
I marinated some chicken breast strips overnight.  Skewered them on thin bamboo skewers that had been soaked in water maybe 10 minutes.  I usually use metal skewers but not today.  The skewers of course burned over the hot fire and several broke off.  Duh.  The chicken was pretty good but not outstanding.  A decent lunch.  Live and learn.

Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    Looks like a winner to me
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    Options

Not seeing a problem.

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    @bgebrent-  at the risk of the Friday PM obvious-skewers aren't chips.  They can take the water-perhaps a SV bath for a few hours in advance of the cook next time??
    BTW-great looking cook-even with the added smoke and char.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Last photo looks killer, nice even char!

Sorry don't mean to threadjack, fwiw, I stole this idea from someone here a while ago ... two foil wrapped firebricks to protect the sticks and minimising meat sticking on grid...

Cool idea I've not seen before.  Thanks for sharing this!
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    Last photo looks killer, nice even char!

Sorry don't mean to threadjack, fwiw, I stole this idea from someone here a while ago ... two foil wrapped firebricks to protect the sticks and minimising meat sticking on grid...

I too use a couple firebricks but I don't bother wrapping them in foil.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    I like the brick treatment, but if you want the grid char marks and your satay sauce was not too sweet, just putting foil on the grid will also help the sticks from becoming smoke wood. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    Options
    Brent thanks for posting when things go sideways as well as what things go great.
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Sweet100s said:
    Brent thanks for posting when things go sideways as well as what things go great.
    I just hope both help folks in the future.  Today brought mediocrity, but that's how it goes on occasion.  Thanks man!
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Still a good meal... thanks for stick alert
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Obviously, Nichole was not at the helm. 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Obviously, Nichole was not at the helm. 
    Obviously.
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    It looks good to me Brent!

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    It looks like a good meal to me. I cooked some chicken in a skillet and tried to make a pan sauce the other day; was going to put it on some pasta. I screwed up the whole meal - my wife and I both laughed. It was terrible. Yours looks much better. The point is it's ok to have an off day. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Damn Brent nice meal on a Friday.   Awesome break from from the political BS lately.  Thank you

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    They look good to me. I've never seen the brick truck either. Great idea though !!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    I'm just glad to know the veterans semi have off days. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I'm just glad to know the veterans semi have off days. 
    Not that I am veteran, but you should see how much chili I have made from brisket. Off days equals cow victory = chili.

Tandori chicken is one of those cooks that when it is good, it is great, when it is bad, it is still pretty good. @bgebrent another great cook. Never worry about three burnt skewers, they will make more.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,975
    Options
    Was this the APL recipe?  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Was this the APL recipe?  
    No it wasn't.  It was an Allrecipes recipe.  Next time I'll try APL's.  Enjoy the game!