Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Outdoor Home Surveillance Systems

Options
Anyone have a good outdoor surveillance system that doesn't require an engineering or IT background to install?   We've tossed around the idea of either supplementing or replacing our alarm company (Vivint) with surveillance but I have zero experience installing anything like that.

Looking for something in the $200-$400 range I'd think.   I've researched Amcrest somewhat, but looking for real world reviews (if any) from guys who know a little bit about a lot or a lot about a little bit.   
--Because I'm like ice, buddy. When I don't like you, you've got problems.

KJ Classic
28" Blackstone
South Carolina native, adopted Texan, residing in Olive Branch, MS.  Go Tigers.

Comments

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I personally really like my Nest cams. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • clemsontyger97
    Options
    Are those outdoor?   Good night vision?   Easy install?

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    They have an indoor and an outdoor version. They work off your wifi. You need to have pretty good internet speeds or it will not work properly. Night vision is very good and installation is very easy. 

Everything is backed up to the cloud so if they are stolen you will have a picture of the guy that stole them. I am very satisfied with mine. 

• SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    For $400 or a little more you can get a decent system.  Installation is simple, but involves crawling around in an attic running wires. That is assuming you are going with a wired system. I have a Night Owl brand system and have never had a problem. Have had it for a few years now. I know a few others who own Night Owl and many that own Swann. The only problem I know of is one owner of a Swann had several cameras give out at about the 2 year mark. I recommend you get at least an 8 channel system. Even if you think 4 cameras will be enough, after a while you will probably want to add more cameras. Some 8 channel systems only come with 4 cameras, but you can add up to 4 more later. The main number to pay attention to is the one for recording resolution. Regardless of the quality of the camera, playback depends on the recording resolution. Also important is infrared distance. Whatever number they tell you, at night you will only be able to recognize some at about half of what they claim. I recommend you hide the dvr somewhere. I made a cage for it out of 2 pieces of flat bar. the 2 pieces have a lock through it on one side, and the other side is bolted to a wall. Assuming you are going to be in an attic running wires, now is a good time as opposed to summer.
  • girbim
    girbim Posts: 25
    edited March 2017
    Options
    My cousin has had the Arlo for 6 months and has been happy.  It is wireless, so one has to buy more expensive lithium batteries, but she said that they have not had to replace them yet.  You can get 7 days of video without paying a monthly fee.  From memory, I think the resolution is good, but it could be less than the nest.

If you don't like the fees paid for your security system, you could install your own alarm system.  I have an Ademco/Honeywell system.  If you get the right system, it could be a wire for wire swap.  I use Alarm Relay for monitoring for $9 a month and they provide good reliable service.  It costs another $35 for them to call in and set up your system.
    Large BGE

Minneapolis, MN
  • Lmidkiff
    Lmidkiff Posts: 442
    Options
    I've had Argos ny Netgeat for a few months and really like them. You can have up to 10 cameras connected on one account. I bought mine at Costco for 269 and it came with 2 cameras. 
    McKinney, TX
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I've looked at a few but haven't purchased yet. My install won't be easy and I'll need a bunch of cameras to cover the outside. My brother has the nest cameras and likes them. I want wired, especially since my internet isn't that fast. 

For install, it looks like POE might be the best solution. POE is power over Ethernet. So all you have to do is run a single cat 6 cable to each camera for power and signal. Plus you can use POE switches (used for home network setups). That way if you have 4 cameras at one end of the house, they can all connect to one switch and then you run a single cat 6 wire back to the main DVR box or to a switch at the other end of the house. Yes you do spend a little more on the switch, but bulk cat 6 wire is cheap and you have easier install running a single wire to the DVD vs 8 wire. Or run all 8 wires to the DVR, all custom length that you make and save a little money. 

I have not looked to see if it can be wired directly to your home network yet. You would need a way to just provide power to the connectors if that's the case and I believe they make low cost adapters for that. I imagine you could also do a wireless bridge to send the signal across the house too. Then all the DVR would need is a wall outlet and you could hide it anywhere. 

If anyone has any recommendations for POE surveillance cameras, I'd love to hear it. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• clemsontyger97
    Options
    Thanks all.  

@Toxarch this is the one I had been looking at and is a POE.  https://amcrest.com/amcrest-2-megapixel-2048-x-1536-4ch-network-poe-video-security-system-nvr-kit-four-2mp-poe-weatherproof-bullet-ip-cameras-98ft-night-vision-pre-installed-1tb-hdd-and-more-black.html

I'd definitely prefer a wireless set up but don't know if I am sacrificing quality over a wired system?    Main problem with a wired system is the pain of installing.   Not that any attic is fun, but mine has a very crazy layout that would make getting to the corners very tricky.   Beyond that, is the heat of an attic too much for the DVR box?    MS summers get pretty toasty.

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    I am pretty sure the heat in the attic of the MS summer will kill your DVR. Don't put it in the attic. 

• Webass
    Webass Posts: 259
    Options

I have a couple of cameras outside, one on the front door, and one on the  back of the house.  Both are mounted high enough to be inaccessible but prominently.  I hope they'd be more of a deterrent than only the ability to get a guy's picture.

I would never do without my monitored security system.  It's a cellular system so it'll always work.  Every ground level door and window is monitored plus motion detectors on all levels.  Smoke alarms and remotes(with panic buttons) are also part of the system.  Whenever we leave we bypass the main level motion sensor, if the dog's staying home.  If he's going with us we arm the entire system.  At night we bypass all interior motions and keep a remote next to the bed in case we need to use the panic button.  Both night stands are equipped with 9mm friends with laser sights.  The remote also has a medical panic button if needed and the monitoring company will dispatch EMT.  I pay just over $300/annually for monitoring.

If someone breaks in I want an audible alarm and the knowledge the cops are on the way, get the hell out.  I prefer that to only getting a picture of someone who may not be known to law enforcement plus having my stuff stolen.  

Lenoir City, TN -  Bama fan in Tenn Vol's backyard. 

LBGE, Weber Spirit 

• johnkitchens
    Options
    Webass said:

I have a couple of cameras outside, one on the front door, and one on the  back of the house.  Both are mounted high enough to be inaccessible but prominently.  I hope they'd be more of a deterrent than only the ability to get a guy's picture.

I would never do without my monitored security system.  It's a cellular system so it'll always work.  Every ground level door and window is monitored plus motion detectors on all levels.  Smoke alarms and remotes(with panic buttons) are also part of the system.  Whenever we leave we bypass the main level motion sensor, if the dog's staying home.  If he's going with us we arm the entire system.  At night we bypass all interior motions and keep a remote next to the bed in case we need to use the panic button.  Both night stands are equipped with 9mm friends with laser sights.  The remote also has a medical panic button if needed and the monitoring company will dispatch EMT.  I pay just over $300/annually for monitoring.

If someone breaks in I want an audible alarm and the knowledge the cops are on the way, get the hell out.  I prefer that to only getting a picture of someone who may not be known to law enforcement plus having my stuff stolen.  

Simplisafe???

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I've looked at the Lorax ones and they are really nice, but they charge for online access to the cameras other than one camera. Id like just pay once and have access to all the cameras over the internet anytime I want. 

There was one brand where you could mark areas of the screen that you didn't really want monitored. Like if the camera pointed down the driveway, you could mark off the road on the screen and it would not alert to motion there, but it would for the driveway. I forget what brand that was though. 

@clemsontyger97 The attic heat will cook your DVR and shorten the life of it. You want it in a living space. You could add a plug in a closet and put the DVR in there. As for hard to reach attic corners, do you have soffits with vent holes under the edge of the roof? Pop those vent covers off and then fish the wire from the attic to a vent away from the corner. Then you can fish the wire from vent hole to vent hole and to the corner of the house. Get a set of fiberglass wiring fish sticks and a friend to help. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    There have been a few burglaries in our neighborhood over the past 3-4 years. 3 of the homes had security systems, which also had video.
    The goal was 1) to deter them from breaking in, and 2) capture the image of anyone who tried.
    Well, use for deferring, obviously did not work. They got a video of the thief breaking in,
    and because he/she wore a hooded sweatshirt, with the hood pulled over his/her head, the video allowed them to watch this person, go room from room and take anything of value, then kicking out the back door, to run away, with no clear image of the thief's face or head. This was all done in less than 5 minutes.
    Nobody had ever been arrested in these cases.
    Thieves are pretty smart. They adapt.
    If you have something they want, they will get it. Hopefully the money you spend will help prevent it.
    I am curious to know about anyone that has had good luck using the video to identify the thief. I am considering it as well.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    If anyone is in need of a dog....let me know. She will go off at the slightest noise outside. ;)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Bustersdad
    Bustersdad Posts: 311
    Options
    I use the Nest Outdoor Cam and have incorporated into my Home Automation.   I am more interested in deterrent... it uses the motion sensor in the camera to turn on all my outside lights.  They do charge  a fee for access to video
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    @YukonRon, my neighbor's camera resulted in a successful prosecution.
    One of the problems with security cams are that many are mounted too high. If too high, hats and hoodies defeat the camera. The guy who hit my neighbor was wearing a hoodie, but the cam was at 6 feet and was able to get a good shot of him. What also helped was that the guy was a regular with the police.
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    One thing to consider when setting up a camera system. They can record continuously, or only when tripped by motion. Use the continuous mode for two reasons. Sometimes motion does not trip the sensor. Also, even if the sensor always trips, there is a range. If someone is far away from the cam, say at a neighbors house breaking in, you won't have a recording of that if set on motion.
  • YukonRon
    Options
    @YukonRon, my neighbor's camera resulted in a successful prosecution.
    One of the problems with security cams are that many are mounted too high. If too high, hats and hoodies defeat the camera. The guy who hit my neighbor was wearing a hoodie, but the cam was at 6 feet and was able to get a good shot of him. What also helped was that the guy was a regular with the police.
    I am glad for them. I wish all these folks who break in would get apprehended.  
    I have locked down everthing I can and put up a lockable, privacy fence along with outdoor lighting front and back. Anyone caught in the back yard, will be breaking and entering due to the locks, or so I am told, and should they be caught in the process by me, well, legal issues will be the least of their concern. 

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    YukonRon said:
     Anyone caught in the back yard, will be breaking and entering due to the locks, or so I am told, and should they be caught in the process by me, well, legal issues will be the least of their concern. 
    If that is your plan of action you may wanna keep it under your hat. I know that comment was made on a forum, but I have a neighbor that never misses a chance to tell anyone and everyone that if someone comes into his house uninvited he will blow their head off. My thoughts are, we are not still in the fifties, and not every state is Texas.
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 903
    Options
    Added a Nest outdoor camera to my system a few months ago and very impressed with it. Installation took maybe five minutes. Resolution is high. Well worth the money.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • clemsontyger97
    Options
    I've been reading some reviews on the Nest outdoor cameras today and like what I've read.   Biggest drawback for me would appear to be lack of external outlets.   Somehow builders in our neighborhood evidently thought no one really needed external outlets.   We have two (front door and back).   That gets me front door and back door I suppose.

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
  • tdub4
    tdub4 Posts: 124
    Options
    Another vote for Arlo. We have the Arlo Pro with the removable/rechargeable battery.
  • YukonRon
    Options
    YukonRon said:
     Anyone caught in the back yard, will be breaking and entering due to the locks, or so I am told, and should they be caught in the process by me, well, legal issues will be the least of their concern. 
    If that is your plan of action you may wanna keep it under your hat. I know that comment was made on a forum, but I have a neighbor that never misses a chance to tell anyone and everyone that if someone comes into his house uninvited he will blow their head off. My thoughts are, we are not still in the fifties, and not every state is Texas.
    I am hoping with the steps I have taken, the potential thief will get the idea.

I have mentioned nothing to imply that I plan to take the steps your neighbor has shared with you and others.

However, I can, and I will, protect my family, our home and myself, in any manner that is available to me, within the guidelines of the law of the City where I live, and the Commonwealth of Kentucky and the rights we all share as citizens of the USA.

I think that puts me in a very good place.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    @YukonRon, I agree with you. My thinking is, if you lose control of the car and plow through a crowd, it would not be good to have one of those bumper stickers that say "if you don't like my driving stay off the sidewalk."  =)