Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flame Boss 300 Video.

tcracing
tcracing Posts: 378
edited February 2017 in EggHead Forum
Here is a YouTube video about the New Flame Boss 300. He starts talking about it a couple of minutes in. Enjoy. https://youtu.be/3FPsL7lK2yM
George Foreman? Who? 
Tim C. Panama City, Fl. 
Large, Minimax-soon

Comments

• tcracing
    @stlcharcoal when will this be available?
    George Foreman? Who? 
    Tim C. Panama City, Fl. 
    Large, Minimax-soon
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,427
    I have held out this long.  Maybe I will wait for the 400.

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • It's like y'all don't want me to have money. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• FB 200 for sale!
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Maybe the 400 will control multiple pits like a Stoker.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    coomdaddy said:
    FB 200 for sale!
    How much? Interested...

L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,750
    Getting closer to Stoker 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    FlameBoss 300 has just 3 meat probes. 

I guess the Flameboss 400 will have 4 probes?

Fireboard has 6 probes if you really needed to poke multiple butts or whatever with probes.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• So it's a splitter.  Wonder if that can be adapted to the FB200.

They should be at the North Florida Eggfest so I'll ask them.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Damn ...

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• BearQ
    BearQ Posts: 174
    Me Like. I'm monitoring this thread. Real interested to know if the splitter works with a firmware update on the 200.
    Barrie,Ont.,Canada.
  • LKNEgg
    LKNEgg Posts: 339
    If it works on the 200 everyone on here wouldn't need the 300!  That's not the way companies make money!  They update to the newest product so every one has to buy the new stuff!
    Large BGE - 2014
    FB 200, KAB, AR - 2015
    Lake Norman area of NC
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten!

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing!

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    So it's a splitter.  Wonder if that can be adapted to the FB200.

They should be at the North Florida Eggfest so I'll ask them.
    I'd guess not - I'm wondering if they put in stereo plugs on the base unit and then use a stereo to mono splitter on each, giving space for two probes for each plug on the base unit

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • BearQ
    BearQ Posts: 174
    edited February 2017
    They could still make $ from the 200 owners selling the splitter. If it can be done with firmware update only it becomes an accessory like the battery pack. The device is an expensive toy. I can't see myself tossing it every time they have a new innovation.
    Barrie,Ont.,Canada.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    I doubt the 200 has the jacks and circuitry to do it. But hopefully I'm wrong!

Not giving up my 200, though. 1 probe serves me fine. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • HeavyG
    blind99 said:

I agree. I doubt the hardware is the same.

If they can do it with just a splitter cable to make an existing jack read multiple probes I can't wait to read how they do that. Maybe the end of the splitter has some intelligence that sends out an individually identifiable signal for each probe?

A Stoker can do that because each of their cables has a chip built into the jack that gives each probe an individual ID (sorta like an IP address).

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    I will find out on Thursday hopefully 
  • If you could upgrade the 200 you would still have to get the splitter cable and  two more probes. So they would get some money.

i would be willing to upgrade my 200 but I won't scrap it to get a 300.
    MiniMax 04/17

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Very cool video, thanks for posting...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    First post, but I have been here over a year. I bought my XL BGE in January of 2016, but I love to research things on the internet, and I discovered this forum back in 2015. I have been absorbing vast amounts of knowledge since then, and I thank you all for the good information and recipes here. Some of the things I have learned are not to talk about lump, not to express opinions on controversial accessories such as the kick ash basket, and to keep my egg lighting methods secret. Just kidding!

I saw this thread this morning, and felt compelled to start posting.

Last year I was considering buying a controller, and I sent a message to Flame Boss asking them if they might in the future come out with a multi probe unit. I got a reply from Michael Collins with the information that they were working on it, and he invited me to beta test it. So I have been using it since last summer. It is great! I often cook multiple tri tips or chickens or pork loins, and it is nice to be able to monitor all of them at the same time. 

The FB 300 will look just like the FB 200, but it uses splitters for the extra probes. The circuitry is different, so it isn't something that can turn a 200 into a 300 with firmware. The display looks the same, but the meat temp reading cycles through the three probes. The graph uses different colors for each probe (not useful if you are colorblind). Other than one software update that wouldn't complete, which Michael fixed very quickly, it has worked perfectly. Mine is a beta so it is still labeled as a 200, and the splitters on mine are inline rather than angled, but I understand that will be changed on the production model.

I had a non-disclosure agreement with Flame Boss, so I have been patiently awaiting the release information so I could tell my forum friends about this. I highly recommend it. I did learn to control my temps on the XL BGE manually, but this makes it even easier, and I can watch the cook and control it from anywhere I have an internet connection. I give it five stars!
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    SaintJohnsEgger Posts: 1,826
    edited February 2017
    Thanks for the info @Yno

I would love to have the new 300 but I don't have the money to spend. In addiction to my 200 I also have 2 Mavericks so I just use them if I need extra probes.

All the wires makes my egg look like it is in ICU or something. :)
    MiniMax 04/17

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited February 2017
    blind99 said:

I agree, this doesn't tickle my fancy.
    Even completely wireless wouldn't tickle it either, at this point.

For all monitoring systems and cookers I've used through the years, ET-73, Digi Q, and now FB-200, all paired with a Thermapen, I have only used one probe, the pit probe.  The food probes all collect dust.  

PR slow smoasted is the only cook the food probe comes out.

One wire, and Thermapen, is more than enough for me.

6 is just plain stupid.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    They need one with a couple dozen probes... you know, for a package of wings. :rofl: Flame Boss 2400!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited February 2017
    They need one with a couple dozen probes... you know, for a package of wings. :rofl: Flame Boss 2400!!
    Lmao, many here would fund that project. 
    Every degree matters.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    I agree it may be a little overkill, but I think having a few probes in the same piece of meat would be good.  Many times I'll have one meat probe in a brisket or pork butt and it will be 10 degrees off another section.  3 in the same meat might help me... 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • HeavyG
    Focker said:
    blind99 said:

I agree, this doesn't tickle my fancy.
    Even completely wireless wouldn't tickle it either, at this point.

For all monitoring systems and cookers I've used through the years, ET-73, Digi Q, and now FB-200, all paired with a Thermapen, I have only used one probe, the pit probe.  The food probes all collect dust.  

PR slow smoasted is the only cook the food probe comes out.

One wire, and Thermapen, is more than enough for me.

6 is just plain stupid.
    All hail the Thermapen!

Nobody was ever able to cook a proper steak or butt in the centuries before their invention.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    GoooDawgs said:
    I agree it may be a little overkill, but I think having a few probes in the same piece of meat would be good.  Many times I'll have one meat probe in a brisket or pork butt and it will be 10 degrees off another section.  3 in the same meat might help me... 
    Problem solved...

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,023
    edited March 2017
    Sometimes I go old school.  Use a gasser that has 2 zone heating.  Barely on and nuclear.  These two zones exist in the area of a single steak.  No thermapen, no monitoring device, just my God given senses.  Its a rush cooking this way.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • tcracing
    @stlcharcoal did you get a price yet? 
    George Foreman? Who? 
    Tim C. Panama City, Fl. 
    Large, Minimax-soon