Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Blackstone burgers sticking

Options
I have a Blackstone grill I have been using for smash burgers. Also have a CI bacon press I try to use for smashing, but it wants to stick badly. I've tried to season it and spay with Pam, also preheated it. But the only thing that seems to work is to cover it with foil. What's the secret?????

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
   1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

Comments

• Grilltastic
    Options
    is it sticking on the blackstone or burger press ?
    Boynton Beach, Fl
  • Coul
    Coul Posts: 111
    Options
    is the seasoning on the press puddled up? that may be the cause of your issue
    LBGE circa 2016
  • Grilltastic
    Options
    you can try a little butter and smash right away with loosely packed meat. put a piece of parchment paper on top when smashing and hold about ten seconds. A little sticking is what gives the crust you want. You need a sharp spatula to scrap under the smash burger to release and get all the crust
    Boynton Beach, Fl
  • FarmerTom
    Options
    I have a good spatula. The grill isn't a problem. It's the press. Maybe it just needs more seasoning. Doing burgers shortly. I'll coat it good and if it still sticks, get out the parchment paper. 

Tommy 

1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    FarmerTom said:
    I have a good spatula. The grill isn't a problem. It's the press. Maybe it just needs more seasoning. Doing burgers shortly. I'll coat it good and if it still sticks, get out the parchment paper. 
    Fwiw, cold ground meat will stick to anything, even seasoned CI.  For my CI press I learned the hard way to use parchment squares.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    I have a BS and I use a cast iron bacon press as well.  I always preheat my press on the BS for at least five minutes, then spray it with Pam, and then press.  I never have a sticking issue unless I smash more than four burgers in a short amount of time.  I've never used parchment paper.  Do you have your burner turned all the way up?
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • FarmerTom
    Options
    I usually crank it up for burgers. I always try to slide the press sideways before lifting but still have sticking problems. Will try spraying it more often. If still have problems will get out the paper. 

Tommy 

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Mmmmmmmm burnt canola oil.  ;)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Are you using 80/20 beef? 

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    I roll my hamburger into a ball and throw on the Blackstone.  After about a minute I turn the hamburger over exposing a flat semi brown area.  I then use my CI press to smash the burger and let it brown before flipping it one time.  Works every time and never sticks.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    I was gonna say slide sideways but you say your doing that. It sort of works for me. I also press until the burger is stuck to the grill (not a blackstone but I think that's not really the issue here). 
    I guess try parchment. Sorry but if sliding isn't working im out of ideas...
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I bought a really heavy Dexter Spatula for smushing meat. A quick rub on the griddle surface solves sticking issues.
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Are you using 80/20 beef? 

Great question! If you play with the numbers you can get some crazy and less than optimal results.  I always go 80/20 or 85/15.  Anything else is always a disastrous result. 
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    75/25 blend. I also do the ball. Let it sit and cook, flip and smash. 

-FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • FarmerTom
    Options
    I use 80/20.  I gave the press a quick spray every couple of burgers and that seemed to work. Looks like I'll have to either spray or use paper. Thanks to all.  

Tommy 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    No expert here  but just use a stainless spatula and have no issues.  The " meatballs" go on at room temp.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,766
    Options
    i use the heavy spatula as well. what solved the sticking was using no grease on the griddle and holding the press down for a 15 second count. this allows better sticking to the griddle so the press slides off without tearing the burger
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • FarmerTom
    Options
    i use the heavy spatula as well. what solved the sticking was using no grease on the griddle and holding the press down for a 15 second count. this allows better sticking to the griddle so the press slides off without tearing the burger
    That sounds like a long time, especially if doing several burgers.  I threw on 8 last night.  So that would be 2 minutes before I could press the last one.  Do you put all your meat on at once and then start pressing or just do one at a time.  They cook so fast, I'm a little concerned about overcooking the first ones before getting to the last one.  

Tommy 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,766
    Options
    FarmerTom said:
    That sounds like a long time, especially if doing several burgers.  I threw on 8 last night.  So that would be 2 minutes before I could press the last one.  Do you put all your meat on at once and then start pressing or just do one at a time.  They cook so fast, I'm a little concerned about overcooking the first ones before getting to the last one.  
    my bs is the 17, i only do 4 at a time each right over the burner bars. flame as high as it will go
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Slide the smasher-tool off the meat, don't just lift it.
    Parchment paper is the answer for me. Never fails and just takes all the worry out of it. I used to get extremely annoyed when my CI bacon press stuck to the burger and parchment paper saved my sanity. My heavy SS spatula does much better but I still use the parchment paper.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • FarmerTom
    Options
    I've built up a bit of a coating on the BS. I always scrape off all residue when finished, but never wash it.  Same with my eggs. Figure if it can survive 300-500 degrees, a little water and soap isn't gonna help. Usually spray the BS with a veg spray before cooking. Maybe need to stop that.  

Tommy 

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    FATC1TY said:
    75/25 blend. I also do the ball. Let it sit and cook, flip and smash. 

I agree with @FATC1TY. Smash burgers work better with a high fat ratio. If you are looking with 80\20, grill it and will cook most of the fat. For lean burgers......well just cook chicken instead.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow