Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tater question

What dome temp and for how long do you folks allow for large baked potatoes?   I usually lightly wrap in foil, cook at 400-500 dome temp. Around an hour. When I can squeeze them a little, usually about 45 minutes, I throw on the ribeyes. 

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
   1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

Comments

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    edited February 2017
    That's about what I do. If the spuds need to cook a little longer than the steaks, so be it....the steaks need a rest, anyway. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • I do mine rubbed in oil and kosher salt applied.  I cook them 400 raised direct for about an hour and when they reach 210 internal. I remove from egg and then place them in foil and they are good to go when your steaks are ready.  Works everytime....
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Does this process burn the skin? 
    Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    edited February 2017
    @Jameson19  No it doesn't... I will turn it one time during cook. 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Botch said:
    I do mine rubbed in oil and kosher salt applied.  I cook them 400 raised direct for about an hour and when they reach 210 internal. 
    ^This.
    One cultural norm we need to change here in the States is to start eating the damn skin of our potatoes, especially if they're nicely smoked on an Egg.  It's the tastiest part; it's the most nutritional part; and its consumption prevents food waste.  
    Couldn't agree more.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Your question answered your question brother
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Botch said:
    I do mine rubbed in oil and kosher salt applied.  I cook them 400 raised direct for about an hour and when they reach 210 internal. 
    ^This.
    One cultural norm we need to change here in the States is to start eating the damn skin of our potatoes, especially if they're nicely smoked on an Egg.  It's the tastiest part; it's the most nutritional part; and its consumption prevents food waste.  
    The skin is the best damned part. This!
  • From Am Test Kitchen (with some modifications for egg). Clean skin, wrap in moist paper towel, pop in microwave, hi for six minutes turning bottom up at 3 minutes.  
    At this point make tater your own.  
    DIL likes hers oiled rolled in course Kosher salt and foil wrapped. Mine goes on egg naked  cause I like  to fill  the  crispy skin with the last of the roasted veggies. 
    Nuking cuts down cooking time on egg.  I pull when potato IT reads 200
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    From Am Test Kitchen (with some modifications for egg). Clean skin, wrap in moist paper towel, pop in microwave, hi for six minutes turning bottom up at 3 minutes.  
    At this point make tater your own.  
    DIL likes hers oiled rolled in course Kosher salt and foil wrapped. Mine goes on egg naked  cause I like  to fill  the  crispy skin with the last of the roasted veggies. 
    Nuking cuts down cooking time on egg.  I pull when potato IT reads 200
    I always warm up spuds in the microwave before baking to cut the cooking time and to make sure the inside is really soft without over doing the skin.
  • Thanks for the replies and ideas.  I also like to eat the skin.  Like the flavor and texture.  May have to try the coating in oil and kosher salt.  Sounds good.  I hadn't though about probing for internal temp, didn't know what it should be.  I usually just give them a a little squeeze and if they are staring to get soft, they're done.  

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    edited February 2017
    FarmerTom said:
    Thanks for the replies and ideas.  I also like to eat the skin.  Like the flavor and texture.  May have to try the coating in oil and kosher salt.  Sounds good.  I hadn't though about probing for internal temp, didn't know what it should be.  I usually just give them a a little squeeze and if they are staring to get soft, they're done.  
    I think you will like it. I usually pull them at 210 degrees then wrap in foil until rest of meal is ready... always fluffy...  we now only do baked potatoes on the egg. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    My Beautiful Wife uses a fork to stab the potato 3-4 times, rubs butter and coarse ground salt on the outside, places on the BGE MM at 400F for about an hour, checks for softness, then serves. Great tasting potatoes every time.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    I go around 400-450° indirect and that takes 45-55 min.  I do not wrap in foil we like the skin to be a little crisp.  Foil will create steam.  The potatoes are always nice and fluffy.  I've noticed around 205° with the Tpen when I pull.  

I was doing these for my self for a long time.  Wife would not try them.  She finally caved and now will not eat anything other than that!  Silly girl.  

Canola oil and salt.  

Indirect.. Notice skin is browned some.  Man, I want one now!  

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    I go around 400-450° indirect and that takes 45-55 min.  I do not wrap in foil we like the skin to be a little crisp.  Foil will create steam.  The potatoes are always nice and fluffy.  I've noticed around 205° with the Tpen when I pull.  

I was doing these for my self for a long time.  Wife would not try them.  She finally caved and now will not eat anything other than that!  Silly girl.  

Canola oil and salt.  

Indirect.. Notice skin is browned some.  Man, I want one now!  

Nice presentation, and congrats on the big win.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    My mom will not eat potato skin! Sometimes, I'll roast some cubed red potatoes in her oven with garlic, rosemary and oil. I never peel them. We'll sit down to eat and I'll watch her peel the skin off each bite size piece. =) One of these days, maybe I'll remember. Or maybe she'll try a peel.

Hey, she's entitled. On July 4th, she'll be 101 years old!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,749
    My mom will not eat potato skin! Sometimes, I'll roast some cubed red potatoes in her oven with garlic, rosemary and oil. I never peel them. We'll sit down to eat and I'll watch her peel the skin off each bite size piece. =) One of these days, maybe I'll remember. Or maybe she'll try a peel.

Hey, she's entitled. On July 4th, she'll be 101 years old!!

Bless Her!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    I will brine for about 3-4 hours.
    Dry completely with paper towels.
    Brush lightly with an Olive oil.
    Cover lightly with Kosher Salt.
    BGE @ 425 Dome, Setup is direct and grid at felt line.
    Cook for 30 minutes then, rotate grid and  turn over spuds.
    Cook for a minimum IT of 205 but no more than 210.
    Pull and brush skin with a nice compound butter made with my favorite Rub.

If steaks are next up on the BGE, I will have the house oven @ 200 and keep them warm til serving time.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• I prefer Yukon and do oil,seasoning, pull at 205-210 then slice and add butter then wrap in foil. Perfect for when dinner is ready.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    I do the oil/kosher salt bit but don't do the foil as I like the crispy skin to remain crispy.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk