Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous Vided a Frozen Thick Boneless Pork Loin Chop From Costco

Options
Judy Mayberry
Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
edited February 2017 in EggHead Forum
I love those really thick Costco boneless pork loin..steaks, really. I thought I'd try sous vide on a frozen one to see if the recommended 1-1/2 times the usual time did defrost as well as cook it. I took it them out of the FoodSaver bags they were frozen in, smeared them with olive oil, and coated them with Cluck & Squeal rub (who remembers that delicious rub?). I put them in a ziplock bag and left it in the bath for 1 hour 45 minutes.

While it was cooking, I made Braised Okra and Tomatoes. I've never made okra before (nor seen it in the market, till I visited an Indian market last month). I've always read it gets slimy, but from the Indian cooking lessons on "Indian Restaurant Favorites" by Raghavan Iyer on craftsy.com, it turned out perfect and delicious. 

I dried off the cooked pork and seared it in a black carbon steel pan with a little grapeseed oil. I don't go in for food styling, so here are my Plain Jane pictures. The pork was perfectly done pink, and the crust was great. I had some very rich pot roast gravy on hand, so I put that on the plate too. No more defrosting the small stuff.

Judy in San Diego

Comments

• Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 686
    Options
    I purchased the cluck and squeal (a three pack) at the last Georgia Mountain Eggfest. I may would again.
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    You did good, Judy.  Looks delicious.

Spring "Now I Want To Sous Vide Something" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Very nice! Great looking chop!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Great looking chop Judy, and your plated photo is beautiful...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Sweet100s
    Options
    Wow that was totally helpful info, Judy Mayberry.  

Defrosting meat annoys me.  It creates a time gap that adds uncertainty to things.  Great to know that with thick pork chops I could go directly from freezer to sous vide. 

>>  to see if the recommended 1-1/2 times the usual time

Where did you see the 1.5 x time recommendation?

... I wonder if I could use Sous Vide Dash to figure out the time for anything frozen just by changing the start temp if the meat.  
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Nicely done!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    @Sweet100s: I googled it and found this at Chef Steps:

Cooking times: Generally speaking, there is an easy rule for determining the cooking time for a frozen food. (There are exceptions, and we get into those below.) Take the recommended time for cooking fresh food and divide it by two, then add that number to the original fresh cooking time. So if you typically cook a one-inch steak for an hour and you want to cook a frozen one, you can calculate the cooking time with this equation: 60 + (60 / 2) = 90. Voilà! Your steak will cook in an hour and a half.

http://https//www.chefsteps.com/activities/you-can-cook-frozen-food-sous-vide-without-defrosting-here-s-how
    Judy in San Diego
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Nailed it!! 
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Very nice, nothing wrong with that pic or plate. Chops in the SV are one of the best proteins, IMO. For pork "steaks", the ChefStep guys technique of a pre and post sous vide sear seems to add distinct flavour. Currently experimenting with searing the fresh "steak", oil and rub and into the Foodsaver bag and then into the freezer. Intent is to use only one Foodsaver bag and have the meal prepped before the freezer. Food is fun, eh?
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    It looks awesome sister. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Looking good! I love the C&S All Purpose but with $22 shipping from Canada it's way too spendy in my book.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe