Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any recommendations for wild hog ribs?

I assume like spare ribs.  My buddy shot this wild/feral hos outside of New Bruanfels, TX.  It's about 140 lbs.  I'm thinking the 3-2-1 method, about 225 - 240.

Comments

• All the wildhogs I kill have little meat to them. Have to adjust times compared to storebought. 

Little Rock, AR

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited February 2017
    Although I have never done feral hog ribs, if I did, I would treat them like venison ribs.  They need help.

@Luvnlife posted this last fall, both racks came out great.
    http://www.oldwoodfiregrill.com/?p=1379

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Here is Big Green Eggs own twist on cooking them. I haven't tried it so I can't vouch for it. But it sounds solid. 

http://biggreenegg.com/recipes/wild-boar-ribs/

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Killit_and_Grillit Posts: 4,326
    edited February 2017
    I have done them a few times. Due to the low fat and meat I wrapped them in aluminum foil, brushed them in bacon fat and spice of your choice. Then douse them in a spicy BBQ sauce when done. (Texas scrub brush hogs can be pretty gamey and it helps those that don't have a palate for it)

There is less smoke on them but it keeps them from tasting like a dog chew toy. 

Edit. I pull them off about half way and put some liquid in there as well. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• My wife just reminded me we also did a bunch braised last year. Same way put brushed and put in the oven in a pan with a rack and a little water and liquid smoke then wrap the top with aluminum foil. Put in oven for about 4 hours on 200. Then toss on the Egg about 400 to carmalize the sauce and serve. 

To my recollection those came out the best. (Not the purist "Egg" way but very good)

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN