Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Destin/Panama City Deep Sea Fishing

Options
This summer, we are headed to Rosemary Beach near Panama City, FL. I have at least 5 guys interested in doing some offshore fishing. Can anyone recommend a charter/guide for the area?
Large BGE Dallas, TX

Comments

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    How long are you going to be there? I have been down there on a few pretty good trips, but there was a manager at one of the restaurants in Rosemary that did individual (and maybe multi) kayak fishing trips. I went with him then he prepared my catch at dinner that evening and paired it with a few courses and wine. 

Once you catch a snapper in a 12 ft plastic boat with a paddle in your lap and a shark underneath you...going on the 7am gulf shore booze cruise isn't near as exciting. 

If you are a big hunter/fisher it will definitely tickle your pickle. PM me if that sounds up your alley and I'll see if he is still in the area. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    I've gone out of both Destin and PCB. I've always had a different captain/boat and not really noticed any difference between them. Seems to me the mates make more of a difference, and those guys move around a lot. Personally, I like going out of Destin better than PCB, but I don't have a scientific reason why. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    @Sea2Ski might be able to help, but I don't know if he's been to that area before. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    The kayak thing sounds a lot more fun.  I did the deep sea thing once and never again. Everyone on the boat was sick. It was just a long, boring, stinky boat ride. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Whaler
    Whaler Posts: 110
    Options
    Consider traveling over to Pensacola for a offshore trip. The boats out of 
    Destin,Panama City fish to the west South of Pensacola. Less boat ride more
    fishing.
    Pensacola,FL
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    +1 on Pensacola. Check out Hot Spots Charters. They are eggheads too and always cook at the Pensacola Eggfest.  
  • tz666
    tz666 Posts: 404
    Options
    https://www.emeraldwaterskayakcharters.com/
    Brandon Barton is top notch. I fish with Bayou Coast Kayak Fishing and Brandon is highly recommended by everyone I know that has been out with him. Fishing in a Hobie is the way to go. The wife and I fish in Hobies
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTXAieKtNYw&t=77s

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    Whaler said:
    fishing.
    Might as well drive over to Orange Beach AL. Between state and Fed regulations, Florida has sucked all the fun out of bottom fishing in the Gulf. Most everyone I know with a boat docked in the Panhandle have moved over to Orange Beach. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    +1 Pensacola, +2 Orange Beach. Lot if time getting the hook wet vs Des and PCB.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Sorry, I have not fished out of Panama.....   yet. Been through the canal, but never wet a line. 

Post up pictures though! I would love to see any/all of them! 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Hairless_Hand
    Options
    There are several captains that launch off of the beach behind Red Bar.  I fished with Capt Kerry last summer. Had a great time and caught fish when no one else was even getting a bite.

http://www.notadogcharters.com/
  • Whaler
    Whaler Posts: 110
    Options
    Whaler said:
    fishing.
    Might as well drive over to Orange Beach AL. Between state and Fed regulations, Florida has sucked all the fun out of bottom fishing in the Gulf. Most everyone I know with a boat docked in the Panhandle have moved over to Orange Beach. 
    Alabama and Florida have the same limits on Red Snapper. Florida state waters extend out 9 miles. Pensacola Bay holds Red Snapper, grouper and trigger fish along with flounder, red fish, and trout. Federal waters are all the same regs.

To the O/P hook up with Hotspots Charters.
    Pensacola,FL