Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT car/ATS advise or opinion

Options
ryantt
ryantt Posts: 2,532
edited February 2017 in Off Topic
Do any of you own a Cadillac ATS?  My wife has been asking for one and I was going to pull the trigger tomorrow afternoon, but wanted to see if any of you have/like them.  I do not typically buy American cars, but you know the old saying happy wife happy life.  
XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

Comments

• SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    Consumer Reports has an online deal where you can find out if it is a reliable car, or a POS on wheels, or somewhere in between. They also tell you what the dealership pays for the car and recommends you pay between 1 to 5% more. You can get either one for around $20, or both for about 35 if I remember correctly. 
  • ryantt
    Options
    Thanks @Semolina Pilchard just wanted some real life/ rubber meets the road info.  The reviews have been good, but I also do not know anyone who actually has one. 

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Cadillac is doing much better now than it was 10-15 years ago. But it's still a rebadged Buick, and still clunky and full of quirks as all GMs are. If you're looking at new cars, I'd really look hard at Lexus or BMW, at least to give options. IMO the 528- 535 is the nicest new car out there, but I'd only own one while the warranty and maintenances are covered. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • ryantt
    Options
    @DoubleEgger she says the lexis is to much of a boys car.  Idk I told her to look at everything else....but you know how that's going.  

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,170
    Options
    ryantt said:
    @DoubleEgger she says the lexis is to much of a boys car.  Idk I told her to look at everything else....but you know how that's going.  
    The Lexus interior is the nicest around at that price point. A cushier ride than the Germans.  The wifey loves her GS. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    No way a Lexus is a "boy's" car-it's like driving around while sitting on a living room sofa.  @Jeremiah has the "boy's" car suggestion, any BMW 5 series.  
    But I understand the relationship here-good luck.  Just don't expect to enjoy driving a couch  =)

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    ryantt said:
    That's interesting.  I would've said just the opposite.

I'd stay away from the Caddys.  Just my opinion.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • ryantt
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I think it had to do with the exterior styling....idk I'm dealing with a wife so God only knows.  I like the BMW the lexis and the infinity.  In the past she had a 3 series, c class and to many other cars to mention.  

• ryantt
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina I agree with you the ATS-V is a total guy car.  I do not and will not ever understand her thinking and or taste.  I don't speak women!!!!!  :o

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    My wife just got a new car as well. I had her test drive everything. I pushed hard for a new 4Runner. But she was stuck on a damn pos jeep. Nothing I said or showed her changed her mind. She bought the pos jeep, and freaking loves it. Whatever makes her happy I guess.  =)
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @Jeremiah coulda been a drop top eclipse. Just sayin. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    A happy wife is a...
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • ryantt
    edited February 2017
    Options
    @Jeremiah we had "our" Jeep phase as well.   I was so glad when her lease was up.  I kept wondering if it was going to crap out on her from the moment we left the lot. 

• DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Options
    My gf had a GM product ... Had some stabilitrack thing on it... That was the biggest headache to get fixed.. For that reason I will never have another 

of of all the vehicles I've had .. I love my dodges the best. I've also had good luck out of my Hyundai commuter car.

im a practical person vs expensive though 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    ryantt said:
    The Lexus interior is the nicest around at that price point. A cushier ride than the Germans.  The wifey loves her GS. 
    Audi interiors are arguably the best right now, in regards to luxury vehicles. Right there or exceeding Lexus, depending on taste. Lexus for reliability, hands down.
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    My wife just got a new car as well. I had her test drive everything. I pushed hard for a new 4Runner. But she was stuck on a damn pos jeep. Nothing I said or showed her changed her mind. She bought the pos jeep, and freaking loves it. Whatever makes her happy I guess.  =)
    FCA products are hot garbage right now, but at least XJs are easy to wrench on and parts are cheap. I've always wanted one and ALMOST went for one in college, but went with an Accord for commuting. I may look at one for my next car, but I want to see what the new Bronco will be. If Toyota still made the FJ, I'd be all over that. I may just get a used one. Toyota does the best midsize BOF SUVs right now since everything else is going unibody/crossover(cough, cough Explorer).
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    ryantt said:
    Audi interiors are arguably the best right now, in regards to luxury vehicles. Right there or exceeding Lexus, depending on taste. Lexus for reliability, hands down.
    We looked at the Audi A7 and the GS 350 Lexus. The A7 interior was a bit firmer and sportier much as you'd expect in a German sports car. The wife ultimately liked the Lexus interior better. I tried my best to convince her to get the A7. That's one hot ride. 
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Floaty mouse thing in the Lexus is  horrible. Otherwise those things are so well built, ride nice, and are comfy. 

New Audi A4 interior is fantastic and supposedly their reliability is up there with the Japanese cars now. Mmmmm I'll believe it when I see a bunch on the roads with 200k miles. 

Ive heard the ats drives very nicely. I was not keen on the shiny swipy interface. I like buttons and knobs!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    ryantt said:
    We looked at the Audi A7 and the GS 350 Lexus. The A7 interior was a bit firmer and sportier much as you'd expect in a German sports car. The wife ultimately liked the Lexus interior better. I tried my best to convince her to get the A7. That's one hot ride. 
    That's going to be the new car. Picking it up Saturday. I agree on the ride, now that I see what you meant. Lexus is definitely pampers your backside when cruising around with their suspension. Only Volvo is better to sit in because of those magical seats. I'm 6'5, and the middle rear seat of an RX 350 is the most comfortable I've ever been in a car.
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    My wife is a car girl. Her rules were 300hp min and rear wheel drive. This is why I married her. 
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    ryantt said:
    That's going to be the new car. Picking it up Saturday. I agree on the ride, now that I see what you meant. Lexus is definitely pampers your backside when cruising around with their suspension. Only Volvo is better to sit in because of those magical seats. I'm 6'5, and the middle rear seat of an RX 350 is the most comfortable I've ever been in a car.
    Can't wait to see pics of the A7
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    My wife is a car girl. Her rules were 300hp min and rear wheel drive. This is why I married her. 
    Does she have a sister?
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    I do like the new CT6, really nice lines. The Escala concept is sweet and the LTS looks good. Caddilac needs to make this, though:

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Why didn't you put her in a V then?  =)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,171
    Options
    Guess I should not really weigh in here as my wife bought a stupid Camry. It is sewing machine smooth, quiet, reliable, comfortable, gets 33mpg all day long and is as boring as all get out. But, she likes it. I wanted this, but lost the argument.

• DoubleEgger
    Options
    Focker said:
    Why didn't you put her in a V then?  =)
    She picked it out. I didn't have a say.  She made a great choice though. 
  • ryantt
    Options
    So we drove the ATS-V tonight and my goodness is it fast.  My wife loves the car so we pick it up in the morning.  She is very picky about the appearance and wanted to make sure that they have a good chance to have it spotless for her.  

0-60: 4.2 sec
    Horsepower: 464 hp
    Top Speed: 189 mph
    EPA:17/23 mpg

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    How do up market US cars compare to European brands these days - price and quality? We hardly see US cars over here.
  • ryantt
    edited February 2017
    Options
    @Eoin it is defiantly ranked lower by car and driver and some of the others. But it was fun to drive, with everything included in the lease we went for it.  If I were to buy the car we would have passed and went with lexis or Acura because of reliability.  We will see how it goes, but it is honestly just for her to go and have fun with.