Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Favorite Mustard?

Options
berndcrisp
berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
edited February 2017 in EggHead Forum

Mine is a German brand, "Lowensenf", it only has four ingredients.

It defines mustard, just like what homegrown horseradish does.

Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

Comments

• MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    Plochmans
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Colmans English made up from powder for beef and Maille Dijon in salad dressing.
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options

I cant recall the name but its a german brand in the local European butcher shop I frequent. its in a tube and its awesome.

Also for burgers and dogs etc, there is a sweet spicy mustard from our Compliments that is crazy good.

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Hotch
    Options
    But you really need to get these also

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I prefer a French mustard. They even named it after the country. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Surely you can't have a single favorite?  Different styles for different purposes! 

WIth that said, here's the real question (and don't mean to hijack):  How many mustards do you have?  Total = in fridge (active!) + in pantry (in reserve!).  I'm certain I'm underestimating at 15.   
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Grey Poupon Country Dijon
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    This one is really good for a dip or use in potato salad
    th.jpg 10.5K
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    Bertman Original Ball Park Mustard.  Not to be confused with Authentic Stadium Mustard.  Tangy, spicy, a little sweet, not overwhelming from spice heat, balanced. Great on grilled sausages;  http://www.franklyjenn.com/two-best-mustards-in-the-world/

I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I make my own - I started from a recipe from Alton Brown and have made some changes  to it over time.  Making mustard is very easy and it lasts a long time. 

Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    I like this stuff on hotdogs and brats.

Jacksonville FL
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I like mustard on my biscuits. MMMHMMM.
  • DialSquare
    Options

Agree, Lowensenf is fantastic. A close friend visits family in Germany each summer and he brought me some of this last year. Love it! 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Work with a German nurse, she takes Boetje's back home for fam and friends....along with the hardware Boetje's has accumulated, speaks volumes.
    http://www.boetjesmustard.com/

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited February 2017
    Options

@Jstroke sent me some mustard(s) from up his way. Raye's was the brand. I have tried several and have a sweet and spicy on hold for the upcoming baseball tailgate season.  These have been outstanding. http://rayesmustard.com/  Well worth a little effort for your Brats etc.

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    Not a purist mustard- but I do enjoy some whole seed mustard from a place in Asheville called Lusty Monk. 

Great great Mustard. 
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Surely you can't have a single favorite?  Different styles for different purposes! 

WIth that said, here's the real question (and don't mean to hijack):  How many mustards do you have?  Total = in fridge (active!) + in pantry (in reserve!).  I'm certain I'm underestimating at 15.   

I'm going to guess 7-8 open, maybe 3 different ones unopened in cupboard.
  • Hotch
    Options

I'm at 11 last I checked!
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options

Agree, Lowensenf is fantastic. A close friend visits family in Germany each summer and he brought me some of this last year. Love it! 
    Love it in the tube. Thomy is ok too 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    It had to be done. 
    https://youtu.be/zmOHeWrr9V4

On that note I love mustard. Pretzels MUST have Gulden's. I probably have 7 different types of mustard on hand. Stonewall has an excellent Wasabi Mustard. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    My favorite by far is BA-TAMPTE Delicatessen Style Mustard. Best I have had anywhere, I have been.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
    500 Posts: 3,177
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Love the hand window crank gesture;

https://youtu.be/5xomArI4aJ0
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • TheToast
    TheToast Posts: 376
    Options
    Depends on what I want it for. Coleman's English mustard if I want something with a kick on meat / pies. American for rubs, French Dijon for dressings and for making coleslaw
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    I had a bottle of mustard with chipotle I really liked (yeah I know not purist) but finished it and never found it again.
    Otherwise, course-ground german style.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    edited February 2017
    Options

Select Mustard Seeds, Vinegar, Salt, Horseradish, Spices and White Wine

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Years ago there was an egger lady who created a terrific mustard and she marketed it as "Mrs Dog's Disappearing Mustard" in honor of her dog. I still order from time to time though I haven't seen her post since her husband died. BTW her Chipotle Seasoning Salt is good too. Here's the link:
    http://www.mrsdogs.com/
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    So, to answer the question, my "go-to" mustards lately are both Mr. Mustard varieties -- both the original and sweet and hot.  They simply are terrific.

Sure,  I love my Nathans and Pommery and Maille and Gouldens and Zatarain's Creole and Ingelhofer and Kosciusco and Cherchies Champagne and Frenches and Colemans . . . but for most sandwiches and dogs and burgers and tots and whatever else needs some mustardy goodness, I usually grab the Mister Mustard.  They've both got a nice kick!

Image result for mister mustard

Image result for mister mustard
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia