Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

3rd Brisket Cook

Took me a bit to get this on here as some family issues last week took up all my time.

This is my 3rd attempt at a brisket- 1st on a cheap side smoker was flawless, 2nd on my new egg was a failure.  This cook after much reading and planning came out perfect thanks mainly to what I read here.  It also helped that since I work from home I was "working" and not able to really check on it except occasionally so it did most of this on its own.

Setup- I used the PS Woo with the platform and two half stones (making a whole).  I went with this as it covers the fire more completely than the Plate Setter and it helps keep the temp down with a more constricted airflow.

Got a 14# prime brisket at HEB around christmas and thawed it for the cook.  Trimmed to 12# and then off to races.  This collage shows how much "shrinkage" happens along the way.  Never moved the brisket in the process.

My family gave me some Salt Lick Rub for Christmas so that was my seasoning- kids loved it so I guess that will be my new go to for Ribs and Brisket.  I cooked this on a Friday and after it was done I F_C for 2 hours and then right into the fridge.  I had to send 3#s to a soccer showcase for the coaches then we started eating it.

Typically I dont care for Brisket- no where I have ordered it have I thought that was great in general I find it so so.  However this was not the case I could have eaten this every meal.

Only plated pic.

Put two 1# hunks into Vac Seal Bags and into the Freezer for later.
XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 

Comments

• GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Good lookin cook!
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Great result right there.  Congrats. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Very very nice!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Nice cook!  What went wrong the first time you tried cooking it on the egg that you were able to correct for this cook?
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,110
    edited February 2017
    horoegg said:
    Nice cook!  What went wrong the first time you tried cooking it on the egg that you were able to correct for this cook?
    Last time I cooked purely on temp- I think I pulled it when it hit 195.
    Comments on that-
    • Likely had probe in wrong place
    • 195 could have been underdone or overcooked
    What I learned on this board
    • All briskets have a mind of their own
    • Higher quality may be done earlier
    • Use a probe to find out its done, if it probes like butter
    • Start checking for done at 185
    What I learned from "The Google"
    • Ideas on where to put the probe in the piece of meat
    So with lessons learned and an entire day to cook it since I was working it was a huge win.

This thread was a good start to help me create a plan
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president.