Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Sous Vide eye of the round

Options
Hans61
Hans61 Posts: 3,901
All tips or advice very much appreciated. Plan is to do a 30hr sous vide around 135 with olive oil garlic and rosemary in the bath, then salt pepper and sear.

Do I need to pre-sear the roast to kill bacteria?
“There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
Coach Finstock Teen Wolf

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    You do not need to pre sear. The meat will pasteurize.
  • Hans61
    Options
    You do not need to pre sear. The meat will pasteurize.
    Cool, thanks! 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61
    Options
    Does the plan sound good?
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Go for it. 26-30 hours seems to be a common range for that cut in the SV.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    Raw garlic may taste 'funny', I would use garlic powder.
    canuckland
  • Hans61
    Options
    Raw garlic may taste 'funny', I would use garlic powder.
    thanks for the tip!
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61
    Options
    It's in
    Beau mondes garlic infused olive oil butter rosemary and a little  cayanne pepper 

tomorrow will I'll salt pepper and sear!
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Have a small one in the Trés Booblay right now, 22 hours at 135º. I pre-sear for flavour, find it makes a difference. Sear before serving as well to crust it up a bit. As noted above by @Canugghead don't use fresh garlic. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Hans61
    Options
    Have a small one in the Trés Booblay right now, 22 hours at 135º. I pre-sear for flavour, find it makes a difference. Sear before serving as well to crust it up a bit. As noted above by @Canugghead don't use fresh garlic. 
    Is it eye of the round that you're doing? 
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Plated?
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Hans61
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Plated?
    Tomorrow after seared I'll show a plated pic..I'll try and remember to not have a fork in the pic :-)
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61
    Options
    Btw still don't understand why no forks maybe never will but no ones ever explained to me 
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Put a dirty fork in the pic!  Looking forward to it brother.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    Is it eye of the round that you're doing? 
    Yes, only two of us so I cut the "eye" in two.....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Hans61
    Options
    Slice thin or thick?
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • BuckeyeFork
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Put a dirty fork in the pic!  Looking forward to it brother.
    Bring it.  Dirty forks sexy-up any food picture.
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    Slice thin or thick?
    Never had it sliced thick before. Always had it about 1/4" or so. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Hans61
    Options
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61
    Options

Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61
    Options
    Soooo tender. Definitely doing this again!!!
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • CoMoBGE
    CoMoBGE Posts: 374
    Options
    Well, I found my next sous cook! Looks fantastic. 
  • Hans61
    Options
    CoMoBGE said:
    Well, I found my next sous cook! Looks fantastic. 
     Exceeded expectations!
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61
    Options
    Sliced thick had a horseradish cream sauce to dip in 
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    That looks really good