Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Knives 2 and 3

Options
gmac
gmac Posts: 1,814
Here are a couple more I put handles on this week. I'm not that happy with either of them but I am using the mistakes I make along the way as chances to learn for the next. Given I have no idea what I am doing they could be worse.  If I were to do them from full bar stock I would make the blades a bit longer but there are also off cuts that I was playing with. The bigger projects are some kitchen knives but I'm doing everything I can to make those perfect and they are still be a long way from picture day. 

Top is a skinner that I'm looking forward to trying out next deer season and bottom is a small boat knife/sheepsfoot. The walnut sure doesn't pop near as nicely as the figured wood in the first. I have an exotic wood shop about an hr from home so if I keep doing this I will be getting some more interesting wood for scales. The handle on the skinner is apple from my smoking pile that I sawed down to a board for this. I'm surprised it was so orange when finished. 

I have a few more blanks that I'm working on and trying to improve so let me know if you want to keep seeing them or not. All are 01 tool steel. These two weren't tested but they were hardened at the same time as the first so I expect them to be in the 60 RC range. I can definitely shave hair with the skinner. Haven't sharpened the sheepsfoot yet. 

Thanks.

Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.

Comments

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Really cool.

Keep posting.  

How thick of 01 do you start with?

Are those dowel pins in the handle?
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • gmac
    Options
    It's 1/8 inch 01. I have a friend who owns a machine shop so I've been getting my stuff from him. Nice part is - no cost and I can go heat treat at any time I need to. I may order different steel in a year or so if I keep at this but 01 makes a good knife and is very forgiving to work with for a beginner. Hardened at 1475F and tempered at 400 for 2 hrs. Will go 500 next time to draw them back a touch more. 

The pins in the skinner are some sort of steel rod I picked up at the hardware store and brass rod in the sheepsfoot. The steel said 3/16 but it won't go through a 3/16 hole and 7/32 is too big (notice the slight black dust ring around the pins because I had to go 7/32 to get them through and they weren't a perfect fit. I didn't want to try to sand them down to fit as I know I would have gotten out of round). I also added the finger groove on the sheepsfoot mid-grind after I had drilled my holes so I redrilled the front so they aren't laid out exactly either. But like I said, learning. 
  • gmac
    Options
    Oh and this is why you should always properly clamp your work when using a drill press. 

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Both are awesome.
    That apple skinner would great with a nice edge.  I have one similar in geometry with a gut hook in my field dress kit, works flawlessly.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    Looking good to me for a beginner!

Mind if make a suggestion? When my late Father began carving when he was 40 he was told by an old timer to keep his initial objects - no matter how crude they may have been. Reason? So he had physical comparisons to how much his skills improved over the years. By the time he passed in his 80's it was amazing to look back!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • bigbadben
    Options
    Nice job. Keep posting.  
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Very nice brother!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga