Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bison fillet , wet age, then cook

Options
Hntnhrd
Hntnhrd Posts: 713
This buffalo was shot on a free range hunt where they migrate out of Yellowstone Park during the winter. My friend was able to draw one of these very limited license for this years hunt. He was able to kill the animal with a family heirloom , an 1800's 45/70 blackpowder rifle. So I feel this animal deserves an epic cook to honor it for its fantastic life. They truly are an amazing animal that is a true symbol of the west. If you have had a chance to eat Bison then you will also know how great a meat it is!!

At this point the fillets are 8 days from harvest. Rinsed and patted dry and now vacuum
sealed. They are in the bottom of the fridge to "age" for a little while longer.

This is a first for me so please any and all advice and comments appreciated

Comments

• GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    Wow that's a cool story!  Even though I typically wouldn't reverse sear steaks of that size, I wouldn't want to screw up that cook so I would take the extra time and do the reverse sear.  Depending on the temp you start with (225-275) bring the meat to 5-10 degrees from your target (if I do 225 the meat does not have much of a carry-over if you leave it uncovered while the egg is heating up).   Then a quick sear.  Definitely post pics of this one!  Congrats
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • Hntnhrd
    Options
    Finally getting to do this cook. Cleaned out the egg this morning and got it fired up. Decided to try to turbo a pork shoulder for some pre diner pork nachos. Coming along nicely just wrapped it to finish it off in time.

Bison fillets have had there final trim and Nice coating of Grunt Rub and a dusting of Hardcore Carnivore Black. 

More pics to come
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Damn. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Gman2
    Gman2 Posts: 421
    Options
    Standing by!
    LBGE, Mechanicsville, Va., LBGE, Duck, NC, XLBGE Wake, Va.
  • Hntnhrd
    Options
    So with all the hype , there were to many coronas while cooking. And everyone was hungry so no pictures of the nachos. But we used some patriot sauce mixed with the porky and covered with Monterey Jack cheese . They were killer. I did manage one picture of the fillets when sliced, before we got into the wine. They were melt in your mouth tender. The wet aging worked perfectly!!! 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Slow cook of Bison is where it is at. Love the images and story shared. Montana is such a beautiful place, congrats on the cook.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky