Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help

Options
1shot1kill
1shot1kill Posts: 136
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok my inlaws are in town from Nebraska, and I have about a 9 lbs brisket. I have yet to do one on the egg . I have looked at all of the recipes, and I'm not sure which one to do. It is going to be Sunday lunch, so I have a little time to figure it out, but any idiot proof info would be of much help. Dad has given me some firebricks, and I have a drip pan and extra grate what else?? Temp, time, all that good stuff.
Happy Friday, GO SPURS GO!!!!!
Thanks in advance,
Ryan

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    1shot1kill,
    Here is a pointer to my webpage on brisket, which is a collection of hints and tips (most from Dr. BBQ) I've collected of the forums. Good luck!
    TNW

[ul][li]Brisket Hints and Tips[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    1shot1kill,[p]Dr. BBQ's turbo brisket was AWESOME!! I'd do that one. I started at 6am and it was good eatin by about 1pm or so...
  • Adrian B.
    Adrian B. Posts: 124
    Options
    1shot1kill, I used Dr BBQ's Big Time Shmear on mine. It cooked at 225 grate temp with my Guru for 20-1/2 hours. I would maybe suggest foiling it for the last couple of hours if I had to do it over again, and probably the below suggestion. [p]If you have a packer cut, then I would take it off when the flat is done, separate the point and put the point back on for burnt tips. [p]Please take all this with a grain of salt, because I've only done 1 brisket in my life. ;~)
  • 1shot1kill
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    Thanks guys, but for some reason TNW my computer keeps telling me that ADULT CONTENT is filtered here at work lol! so I cant see your site.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,766
    Options
    1shot1kill,
    my last few i made a paste from Dizzy pig coarse grind, turbinado sugar, and apple juice.thanks drrbbq for the idea. applied it to the meat side only and wrapped it for 12 hours in the fridge.i cook them fat side down with a pork butt or shoulder on top. im always nervous that the brisket wont come out right and have the pulled pork as a back up. for some reason they always come out good with the pork fat dripping on the brisket. i make a lite broth sauce with beef broth, the drippings from the foil rest, barbeque sauce and honey and drizzle it on the sliced brisket when i serve it

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • 1shot1kill
    Options
    fishlessman,
    Man that sounds good!! Thanks

• Smoked Signals
    Options
    1shot1kill,
    I would suggest removing the flat from the point. Cook the point above the flat to drip down on it. The point will take longer too cook by as much as 4 or 5 hours (its just thicker). However, burnt ends (a Kansas City thing) are truly awesome. Don't forget to cut your brisket 90 degrees to the grain.[p]Doug

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    1shot1kill,[p]Some have suggested taking the point off of the flat before cooking. OK but its much easier to do once the flat is actually done. You will be able to simply slide your hand along the top of the flat, in the fat seam between the point and flat, and literally take the point off with your hand. The fat will have rendered to a point where this is a very easy task, and its not that easy when the meat is raw. It will be hot so be careful but it will almost fall apart at the fat seam and then the point can be thrown back on the egg if you want to cook it longer.[p]I have my own rub that I use on briskets but there are a BUNCH of them out there, most will get the job done just fine.[p]I would suggest cooking it indirect about 250 or so, I cook mine fat side up but dont know that it makes a difference. A 9 pounder will take about 10 hours. For lunch on Sunday you may want to start it about midnight and cook it overnight, take it out of the cooker when it reaches about 190 in the flat, (separate the flat and point now if you want to, put the point back on to cook more), wrap it in foil and let it sit in a cooler until you are ready to start eating. Cut it across the grain.[p]Good luck with the brisket, its good eats.[p]Troy
  • Babyray
    Babyray Posts: 250
    Options
    fishlessman,
    How about your recipe for that paste? what size portions of the ingredients?[p]Thanks,[p]Ray Price

• 1shot1kill
    Options
    sprinter,
    Thanks guys, Man what a help you all are. This is such a great site with wonderful, helpful folks!!![p]thanks alot,
    Ryan

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,766
    Options
    Babyray,
    drbbq's book has a rub mixture that he uses in his "smear" as he calls it. i just used dizzy pig coarse ground. cover meat with the rub, cover again with the turbinado sugar, then start spinkling apple juice on it til its all wet and pasty. smear it in and wrap in syran wrap for 12 or more hours. i think drbbq makes the paste in a bowl and then smears, but i liked the quicker cleanup. about 50/50 rub sugar. i liked the course butt rub better than the cowlick for this. ive done it with both rubs and had salt comments from some that are sensetive to salt

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it