Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken wing question?

Options
 I have cooked chicken wings well over 100 times on both my XL as well as Weber Kettle Grill and typically just Pat them dry and season the dickens out of them then grill them indirect at 350 to 400°  Until they're done. I have heard many times about using cornstarch to crisp them up however today on the "Today Show"  they had a cooking segment where the chef  dredge them in flour and seasoning instead of cornstarch and they showed a finished picture of the product baked in the oven and they looked awesome, does anyone have a history of cooking chicken wings with just seasoned flour on the big green egg? 
Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
     I have cooked chicken wings well over 100 times on both my XL as well as Weber Kettle Grill and typically just Pat them dry and season the dickens out of them then grill them indirect at 350 to 400°  Until they're done. I have heard many times about using cornstarch to crisp them up however today on the "Today Show"  they had a cooking segment where the chef  dredge them in flour and seasoning instead of cornstarch and they showed a finished picture of the product baked in the oven and they looked awesome, does anyone have a history of cooking chicken wings with just seasoned flour on the big green egg? 
    Nope. I use corn starch, but go for it. It'll prolly give you a light breaded effect???
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    No experience doing it with wings, but I've cooked The Chicken and it calls for the same technique.

Extremely crispy outer shell, but not the usual skin texture because of the flour breading

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/thechicken.htm

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    No experience doing it with wings, but I've cooked The Chicken and it calls for the same technique.

Extremely crispy outer shell, but not the usual skin texture because of the flour breading

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/thechicken.htm

Thanks for posting the link, the wings they cooked on the Today Show looked like my Moms pan fried chicken that she always tossed in flower and seasoning in a paper bag then fried the pieces in a cast iron skillet in about 3/4 of a inch of veg oil. I miss her cooking!
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE