Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT -Table saws

Options
gmac
gmac Posts: 1,814
edited February 2017 in EggHead Forum
Anyone have a recommendation on a good table saw? My 20 yr old Delta contractor saw brushes have gone and I've looked all over for some replacement brushes with no luck. Debating between trying to find a motor and replace it or just look for a new saw.

Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.

Comments

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    A place like this can rewind/rebuild your motor (I think).  

http://www.amproelectric.com/

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    If you can upgrade to a cabinet saw, you will love it.  The Powermatic, Delta, Grizzly, and SawStop saws have been very good.  I suggest you look at Craigslist for a used one in case a new one is out of the question.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    What do you want to use it for?

I've had a Jet saw and this Sears model - http://www.sears.com/craftsman-professional-10-in-contractor-saw-sears-21833/p-00921833000P?sid=IDx01192011x000001&gclid=CjwKEAiAq8bEBRDuuOuyspf5oyMSJAAcsEyWQo7EXifUjG8r3313HaXmgFtb0Pw3GqVrkW832qzhfhoCOfnw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

But if I ever get a new one I will probably get a Rigid table saw as well as their rest of their line.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    I have a contractor Hitachi 7" ts.  I wish I had the space for something a lot more accurate and a lot more stable.  All I have is a 12x16 "barn-shape" shed as a workshop. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    I bought a new Detla 10" UniSaw 32 years ago and that is still a puppy! It will buzz through any sawing/ripping task I have ever put it to. I wonder if you have considered Craig's List?

What I'm going to say next gets a bit heavy...I know that when I meet the grim reaper my stationery wood working tools may not have any appeal - sales wise - to people then who have any interest in such heavy duty stationery power tools and I own several also all bought brand new. I started asking around years ago if there was a school or such to which I could donate them. I don't mean for a tax deduction, but just to know that some pupils somewhere would appreciate and use them to learn a trade or at least an appreciation of wood working. Know what I discovered? A big NO! The closest I got was one reply from a school out East saying that if I would pay for the crating and shipping costs PLUS sign legally binding wavers that they might consider accepting them. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    @RRP I am finding the opposite to be true.  I am looking at getting into woodworking and am on craigslist looking for some vintage stuff, hoping it is cheaper . . . not really true.  The older stuff is better built and lasts forever.  Everybody wants $$$$ for it.

When I bought my house, there was an older delta unisaw in the  barn.  I was hoping to get it with the house.  That did not work out.   

I will keep my eyes open.  Not in a hurry.

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    RRP said:
    I bought a new Detla 10" UniSaw 32 years ago and that is still a puppy! It will buzz through any sawing/ripping task I have ever put it to. I wonder if you have considered Craig's List?

What I'm going to say next gets a bit heavy...I know that when I meet the grim reaper my stationery wood working tools may not have any appeal - sales wise - to people then who have any interest in such heavy duty stationery power tools and I own several also all bought brand new. I started asking around years ago if there was a school or such to which I could donate them. I don't mean for a tax deduction, but just to know that some pupils somewhere would appreciate and use them to learn a trade or at least an appreciation of wood working. Know what I discovered? A big NO! The closest I got was one reply from a school out East saying that if I would pay for the crating and shipping costs PLUS sign legally binding wavers that they might consider accepting them. 
    Get in touch with these folks: https://rivercitylabs.org/

They may well be interested in whatever tools you care to donate.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• RRP
    Options
    HeavyG said.

Thank you - I've never heard of them! Our local fish wrapper prides itself in connecting people. I have to wonder why this is such a local deep dark secret. I gotta ask around as I know other hobbyists with the same tools et.al. to donate. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    RRP said:
    HeavyG said.

Thank you - I've never heard of them! Our local fish wrapper prides itself in connecting people. I have to wonder why this is such a local deep dark secret. I gotta ask around as I know other hobbyists with the same tools et.al. to donate. 
    If it turns out they aren't interested be sure to ask if they are aware of any other "maker spaces" in your region as those others may be interested.

Some of these outfits are more well stocked with various tools than others so  the needs may vary from one to the other.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• girbim
    girbim Posts: 25
    Options
    I don't think the brand matters a whole lot.  I am sure there are some big quality differences in different table saws, but I view the fence quality as the most important feature.  My first table saw did not clamp parallel to the blade, so one had to carefully measure the distance from the fence to the blade in two places (and go back and forth to verify).  With my now 15 year old Craftsman with cast iron wings, I measure once and go.  It looks like the fences on most table saws have improved.  I built a cart for mine with nice locking casters.  Being able to move them around easily is fairly important.  Now I need to do the same upgrade the casters on my nest.  I like the look of PowerMatics, but I have never regretted my purchase.  
    Large BGE

Minneapolis, MN
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Options
    I have a grizzly band saw.. It has held up to the abuse I've put it through . I would buy grizzly again. 
    I have also been happy with my hitachi power tools. But I agree older is much better made
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    DuckDogDr said:
    I have a grizzly band saw.. It has held up to the abuse I've put it through . I would buy grizzly again. 
    I have also been happy with my hitachi power tools. But I agree older is much better made
    I have a big grizzly band saw too.  Great for resawing.
    Options
    I just sold my 5 year old Sawstop for 75% of what I paid for it. It has just been sitting around untouched ever since I bought the Festool Track Saw. You might give the track saw a look - incredibly accurate, dust collection is designed in to the tool, and reasonably priced. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    @RRP I'm taking donations.  =)

I bought a new house last fall and found a table saw in the attic. The date of manufacture was in 1988. The brand is Top Tool. I've never heard of that brand before. The fact that I was born in 88 is probably why. I can't find not one peice of info on the internet about it. Has anyone ever heard of it before? Any info would be greatly appreciated. I'm not sure if it's a good one or a cheap POS. 

NW IOWA
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Depending on how much you use your current saw, a Festool Rail Saw might be something to consider. 
  • SouthGaSmoker
    SouthGaSmoker Posts: 98
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I highly recommend the Powermatic PM2000.  I wouldnt trade mine for any other saw.

Grizzly makes pretty good saws for a reasonable price though.  I have a Grizzly bandsaw, shaper and dust collector and never had any issues.
    St. Mary's, GA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Depending on how much you use your current saw, a Festool Rail Saw might be something to consider. 
    The Festool rail saw is crazy good.  Expensive has hell, though.
    I picked up a bearly used grizzly tablesaw on CL for about 1/2 the new price.  My dad went with me for the pickup and his jaw dropped.  

After my my dad cut a few fingers on his tablesaw, I seriously considered a sawstop. If I start using my saw again regularly that upgrade/change will come back on the table.  
  • RRP
    Options
    bigbadben said:

... I seriously considered a sawstop. If I start using my saw again regularly that upgrade/change will come back on the table.  
    Sawstop is not an upgrade/change to your existing tablesaw - it's a whole new expensive saw.
  • bigbadben
    Options
    RRP said:
    bigbadben said:

... I seriously considered a sawstop. If I start using my saw again regularly that upgrade/change will come back on the table.  
    Sawstop is not an upgrade/change to your existing tablesaw - it's a whole new expensive saw.
    I completely understand what it is. I can see how my pre coffee text may have led to the misunderstanding. Thanks for making it clear for others. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    My Delta Contractor saw is 23 years old and fortunately the brushes are still good; I'd repair or replace the motor before looking for another saw.
    I've upgraded mine with a Beisemeyer fence, dust collection, and a Forrest blade; love that saw.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Philly35 said:
    @RRP I'm taking donations.  =)

I bought a new house last fall and found a table saw in the attic. The date of manufacture was in 1988. The brand is Top Tool. I've never heard of that brand before. The fact that I was born in 88 is probably why. I can't find not one peice of info on the internet about it. Has anyone ever heard of it before? Any info would be greatly appreciated. I'm not sure if it's a good one or a cheap POS. 

That "BTS-10" is a Ryobi 10" table saw part number. Wonder if Top Tool was a predecessor. 
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    A place like this can rewind/rebuild your motor (I think).  

http://www.amproelectric.com/

I went to my local ampro. They didn't even want to talk to me about it. Gave me a couple phone numbers but none of them were able to help me either. I'm still looking for brushes before I ever look for a replacement. 
    Delta has entirely pulled out of Canada and no one is doing anything for repair work which is a problem. 

I also need to upgrade my fence which is another cost and so a replacement saw factors that in too (I actually lost my fence when I moved and have been making due for 4 years with aluminum square tube and a couple clamps.  
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,516
    Options
    Kijiji London is another option to consider?  @paqman please don't shoot me down!
    http://www.kijiji.ca/b-london/table-saw/k0l1700214
    canuckland
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    gmac said:
    I went to my local ampro. They didn't even want to talk to me about it. Gave me a couple phone numbers but none of them were able to help me either. I'm still looking for brushes before I ever look for a replacement. 
    Delta has entirely pulled out of Canada and no one is doing anything for repair work which is a problem. 

I also need to upgrade my fence which is another cost and so a replacement saw factors that in too (I actually lost my fence when I moved and have been making due for 4 years with aluminum square tube and a couple clamps.  

Okay, now I think you should buy a new saw!   :o

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    @gmac - pm sent
    Flint, Michigan