Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Chicken

Options
Eoin
Eoin Posts: 4,304

Did a pack of chicken breasts tonight with the aim of getting some smoke into them.  Cooked at 250 F for a while and seemed to stall, boosted to finish off at the end.

Adding a couple of sticks of apple at the start really worked well and the smoke got right into the meat, but (probably predictably) the low and slow made the lean meat dry.  Anne wasn't keen on the amount of smokiness either, although both me and one of my boys who tried it liked it. 

I'd like to repeat with the smoke but retain more moisture - is that what brining is supposed to achieve?

Last 2 will be sliced up for sandwiches tomorrow.

Comments

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    What was the internal temp when you took it off the egg?

L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Eoin
    Options
    minniemoh said:
    What was the internal temp when you took it off the egg?

Around 155 F.
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    The slow cook is what dried it out. The juiciest chicken I have ever eaten was cooked at a much higher temp than normal. 500 degrees indirect for an hour.
  • Eoin
    Options
    The slow cook is what dried it out. The juiciest chicken I have ever eaten was cooked at a much higher temp than normal. 500 degrees indirect for an hour.

I've done a lot at high temperature and it worked well, just wanted to try smoking it a bit more.  Good smoke, but dry is never good.
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    As for using wood for smoke, I find cherry gives the skin a great color. As for a smoky taste, less wood is need for poultry than other meats.
  • Eoin
    Options
    As for using wood for smoke, I find cherry gives the skin a great color. As for a smoky taste, less wood is need for poultry than other meats.
    Cherry isn't that easy to find here. Got loads of apple in the wood pile though.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    If it is cold outside (below 40 degrees farenheight) could you cold smoke the chicken for a while with amazin smoker?  Then fire the egg up for higher heat cook? 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Poultry tends to take smoke pretty quickly. Even if you're grilling, you can get quite a bit of smoke taste from a small handful of wood chips tossed into the fire at the beginning of the cook.

If I want to smoke a chicken, I typically do a whole bird indirect at 250ish. That's when I add a couple of chunks.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I would suggest using bone in, skin-on chicken breast instead of boneless/skinless. I don't think it matters how you cook it when it comes to dryness, except for the exterior. The skin likes the smoke and the meat under will stay moist. Anyone who doesn't like skin can pull it off easily on the dinner plate and there will be moist meat beneath.  A little smoke will sneak into the interior but not much.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• znagle28
    znagle28 Posts: 33
    edited February 2017
    Options

I smoke at least 5 breasts every Sunday for weekly meals. I use whatever Dizzy Pig rub I'm feeling at the time. I do mine at 350-360* with 2 applewood chunks and sometimes add cherry chips as well. Takes around an hour-hour and 45 mins depending on thickness of the breasts. I take them off at 160*, let them sit for 10 minutes then dig in. 

Pulled smoked chicken mixed with Lillie's Q Ivory sauce on a pan fried bun topped with some smoked onion (onion with olive oil and rub). Easily my favorite go to meal.

I use boneless skinless breasts BTW.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    If you want smoked chicken try smoking the whole bird around 250-275 and pull when the breast is around 190.
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1199228/bawk-bawk
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Options
    190 in the breast?  Was that a typo?  I usually pull when breast is 160 or so.  Any more and it dries out.
    XL BGE
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    SPRIGS said:
    190 in the breast?  Was that a typo?  I usually pull when breast is 160 or so.  Any more and it dries out.
    If I'm just grilling and going to eat a chicken breast, then I pull around 160, but if I want a pulled/chopped chicken then yes 190s.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Eoin
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    If it is cold outside (below 40 degrees farenheight) could you cold smoke the chicken for a while with amazin smoker?  Then fire the egg up for higher heat cook? 

It was a bit of an experiment really, but really nice in sandwiches the day after!
  • Eoin
    Options
    I would suggest using bone in, skin-on chicken breast instead of boneless/skinless. I don't think it matters how you cook it when it comes to dryness, except for the exterior. The skin likes the smoke and the meat under will stay moist. Anyone who doesn't like skin can pull it off easily on the dinner plate and there will be moist meat beneath.  A little smoke will sneak into the interior but not much.  

I've done a lot of bone in / skin on chicken and that's really successful.  This was a cook what is in the freezer job.  Skinless / boneless definitely works better hotter and faster.

• Eoin
    Options

Sliced up for sandwiches.  I did this for me and the boys with a slice of ham and salad.  Ate mine in the car, it just held together while eating!

• Eric Moorehead
    Options
    I smoke chicken w Cherry, Jack Daniels, Mesquite or Pecan.  Typically cook at 325 F, 15 minutes per pound.  Very moist.  BUT the skin on the chicken splits giving the final bird a poor visual.  Curious if others have trouble with skin of Chicken splitting on cooking.  I do rub oil olive on the bird then season.