Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

salting a Ribeye

Options
I've started pre-salting my ribeyes an hour or so before the cook. The Foodlab guy said the best steak he ever had was salted overnight. Anyone go this long? If so, do you cut way back on the seasoning right before grilling. I just bought three ribeyes to cook tonight so I'm wondering if I should go ahead and salt them now.
Thanks for any help with this!

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    I do a good job of regulating my sodium intake. 
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    I've done a day or more in advance and find 4 hours on a drying rack in fridge to be perfect 

I heavily salt. Then pepper an hour before. I enjoy the burnt pepper notes when I don't go overboard. 

I don't cut back on seasoning. I add some great flaked crunch finishing salt and fresh ground pepper while serving and they aren't salty. 
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • FATC1TY
    Options
    To answer- salt away. I normally do one pass. Then an hour or two later I do my last and final pass and then no more till serving. Beef loves salt. 
    -FATC1TY
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • Dawgtired
    Dawgtired Posts: 632
    Options
    Googling this, it appears to be a point of contention amongst well known chefs. Tom Colicchio is completely opposed to the idea while others embrace the idea. 

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• dopey
    dopey Posts: 201
    Options
    What I do when I'm black out drunk is none of my business...

John Central CT
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I felt it to be too salty. I'm going to feel safe to assume you don't rinse and you're using coarse kosher. Correct?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Dawgtired
    Dawgtired Posts: 632
    Options
    When I've done it previously for about an hour I used kosher salt. I don't even keep table salt around. I did rinse the steak and patted it dry with paper towels prior to grilling.

Ronald Reagan

• BGnogin
    BGnogin Posts: 76
    Options
    I've salted over night with coarse kosher salt. Then go right to the grill, no additional seasonings.  
  • FATC1TY
    Options
    Do people actually use regular salt like mortons anymore?? The pre ground fine crap?

I find that odd considering the crowd, but maybe my mom was right- I've lost perspective. 
    -FATC1TY
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    If planned ahead, I lightly salt the day before then place uncovered in the fridge overnight.  

I'll pull out if the fridge about an hour before and finish seasoning, add a tad more salt. I do dry on paper towels too. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    FATC1TY said:
    Do people actually use regular salt like mortons anymore?? The pre ground fine crap?

I find that odd considering the crowd, but maybe my mom was right- I've lost perspective. 
    It's good for popcorn, but that's about it.
    NOLA
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    FATC1TY said:

Haven't used table salt in years. I'm not a fan of overly salty food. More often than not I buy unground salt and grind myself. Same thingv with pepper. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,626
    Options
    We have the regular salt in the round box for the salt shakers (mainly for guests) on the table and it gets used for baking and a few other things, but kosher gets the call 90% of the time.

@buzd504 try some BBQ rub on popcorn, can be fantastic.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I try do overnight as a rule on non-dry aged steaks. I salt as if I was going to cook it and once ready for the grill, I add pepper or a rub like Cowlick, depending on the mood.

My guide is at least 1 hour if a same-day cook or overnight if planning ahead.
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    I salt at least an hour and sometimes several    also if I am going to freeze in vacuum I lightly salt and pepper.     Also if the steak has no marbling I add some tenderizer with herbs and sit for about 1 hr before grilling.
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    FATC1TY said:

All the time.  Dissolves better than larger crystals which is important sometimes.  Many recipes, especially baking, are measured out for table salt and it is easier it than grinding kosher down to the proper size.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Simcan
    Simcan Posts: 287
    Options
    I salt heavily, all sides, and put on a rack in the fridge for between two and four hours.  I have not gone overnight but I have done it in the morning to cook at night.  Always turns out great.  I use diamond crystal kosher salt.
    Toronto ON
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    I try do overnight as a rule on non-dry aged steaks. I salt as if I was going to cook it and once ready for the grill, I add pepper or a rub like Cowlick, depending on the mood.

My guide is at least 1 hour if a same-day cook or overnight if planning ahead.
    Exactly this ^^^^
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite.