Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Back to the Wok?

Options

A couple of years ago I got a good wok to use on the large.  I believe it was from the Wok Shop in San Francisco.  I used the wok a couple of times but it just didn't work out, and the wok got shoved into a cabinet.  I want to give it another try.  I think temp control was the problem.  What's the best setup or method to get good results?

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    What works for me is to bring my egg up to temperature with my wok inside. When it is stable about 350-375 dome and I have everything ready close at hand I close my bottom vent completely. Then I open the dome and wok my food. In that short of a time with the vent closed the fire does not become an inferno. This method works for me time after time!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Whenever I grill, I shut the bottom vent down and leave the top up.  The fire is fed O2 from the top, which encourages it to burn on the top surface where the heat is needed the most.  Pretty much SOP for grills in the parallel universe we're not part of (being eggheads and all that), although we're trained to think in the model of bottom vent in, top out for air flow.  A technique that fire likes to follow is down with the classic configuration using your bottom n top vents.  When your fire is digging deeper and not spreading out on top, the heat isn't optimal for grilling - or really *searing*, where you want high heat at your grate.

Unfortunately, the handle takes a beating from the heat with the top up.  Not a perfect design, but they're considered consumables (as they sell them as such).

Carry on.
    Whenever I grill, I shut the bottom vent down and leave the top up.  The fire is fed O2 from the top, which encourages it to burn on the top surface where the heat is needed the most.  Pretty much SOP for grills in the parallel universe we're not part of (being eggheads and all that), although we're trained to think in the model of bottom vent in, top out for air flow.  A technique that fire likes to follow is down with the classic configuration using your bottom n top vents.  When your fire is digging deeper and not spreading out on top, the heat isn't optimal for grilling - or really *searing*, where you want high heat at your grate.

Unfortunately, the handle takes a beating from the heat with the top up.  Not a perfect design, but they're considered consumables (as they sell them as such).

Carry on.
    Never heard this explanation but it sounds promising. I always opened the bottom vent fully when wokking (or searing) on the assumption that increased airflow through the Egg would bring increased heat. Will have to stick to your method next time.
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Options
    +1 for heating up the wok inside the BGE !  In the few wok sessions I've done, I've noticed a BIG difference with this approach. 
    Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • LDR
    LDR Posts: 414
    Options
    Thank you - I appreciate the advice.  I'm at the house by myself tomorrow and will give it a try.  I'm also doing my first run of an electrolysis setup to remove rust from some tools tomorrow. Electricity and water - feel like I should be required to say "Hold my beer and watch this..."