Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilled Mexican Street Corn (Elotes) - The Movie

Options
Today was one of those days. And I just felt the need to cook something on the Egg. I bought a prime brisket from H.E.B. which I will cook tomorrow, but I needed to smell something coming from the Coop today. So I decided on Grilled Mexican Street Corn aka Elotes. 

Naturally, we had to go shopping because we had never heard of some of this stuff. And while shopping, I found the brisket... But one item completely eluded us, even when we stopped at a Mexican Market. That item was Chili Powder. Not just regular old chili powder but Guajillo Chili Powder. 

So where did I find it? At Simply Texas Gorumet Foods in Old Town Spring. He had plenty and gave me some. But he also wanted to let me know they will be buying an Egg and using it in their store to demo their large collection of spices and rubs. 

But that's not all, he wants to cook at the Space City Eggfest this year. And guess who has to give him a quick prep course in cooking of the Big Green Egg. Yes... The Chickens... And we're really looking forward to it. It'll be easy because he's already a great cook so about all we need to show him is what a 'Back-Flash' is, and maybe how to control the temperature. Other than that, he'll be fine. 

Anyway, back to my cook today. I made a video of it. So if you have about a minute and a half to spare, you might enjoy it. 

https://youtu.be/zTNY-llUO3Y 

See you in Salado. 

Spring "Gearing Up For Eggfest Season" Chicken 
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Great video. It looks amazing

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Dayum!! That looks good. Nice job.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,835
    Options
    Very nice.  You could do that in Salado - if you cut the corn into 1/6ths or so and put a toothpick in it...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Very nice.  You could do that in Salado - if you cut the corn into 1/6ths or so and put a toothpick in it...
    Thanks.  That was one reason we thought to try it.  But we think we'll go another route.  I can always cook up another 1,000 Magnum Load servings.  Those are fun and very popular.

Spring "Keep Trying" Chicken

• Judy Mayberry
    Options
    @ Spring Chicken: What are Magnum Loads?
    Judy in San Diego
  • PSC
    PSC Posts: 148
    Options
    Enjoy those elotes, because come that border wall the US ain't getting any. Nor tequila or tacos. ;)
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    @ Spring Chicken: What are Magnum Loads?
    I knew you were going to ask.  And here's your answer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZNjrp86KAs

Enjoy.

Spring "Sausage Roulette" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• thetrim
    Options
    Sweet looks incredible.  @CTMike may like to do those for the wedding he's catering soon.  Are they too big to serve each "bacon wrapped egg" individually?
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Very solid. I love elotes. The Mi Tienda in South Houston makes elotes with all the trimmings at stall outside the store. I try to stop by there whenever I go pick someone up at Hobby. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Sweet looks incredible.  @CTMike may like to do those for the wedding he's catering soon.  Are they too big to serve each "bacon wrapped egg" individually?
    That's actually not a bad idea, but not sure if the client will want Mexican corn with BBQ - I know I would.
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Sliced across into three or four bite-size pieces with toothpicks stuck through the side to the middle is best.  Three pieces is better because they don't fall apart so often when serving.  The single bite size allows for all of the flavors to pop at once.  You'll see if you make some.  They are really good.

Spring "Try It You'll Like It" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    So, whats different about Guajillo Chili Powder? 

I have a recipe in one of my Egg books and I need to check it to see what it calls for.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• thetrim
    Options
    CTMike said:
    thetrim said:
    That's actually not a bad idea, but not sure if the client will want Mexican corn with BBQ - I know I would.
    Sorry @CTMike I was talking about the "Magnum Loads".  That, like "ABT", may not sound as appetizing as they actually are. 
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    So, whats different about Guajillo Chili Powder? 

I have a recipe in one of my Egg books and I need to check it to see what it calls for.
    From what Jay at Simply Texas Gourmet Foods told me and showed me, it has a bolder flavor.  When we returned home we compared the smell and taste to Ancho, Guajillo and regular Gebhardt chili powder.  The Guajillo was definitely bold and rich.  But all were good.  You can see the color differences here:

Sorry I can't share the actual smell or taste, but this may be enough to show a clear difference in the three.  I'm sure how much or how little used in a recipe would also be a factor.

Spring "Getting A Little Chili Here" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    Gotta try this!  :)
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    thetrim said:
    CTMike said:
    thetrim said:
    Sorry @CTMike I was talking about the "Magnum Loads".  That, like "ABT", may not sound as appetizing as they actually are. 
    Ahh got it. They do look tasty, and might be faster to assemble than ABT's. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
     I never see Guajillo chili powder, but can always get them dried. I use dried guajillo/ancho/chille de Arbol in my Texas style chili.(no beans, no tomato). I put these dried chilis in a frying pan to wake them up. Then add water to reconstitute them. Finally blend the whole concoction and add to chili pot. Grinding those dried chilis for powder would not be too hard for those wanting to try this recipe with the reccomended peppers rather than a substitute.

Jim
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    CtTOPGUN said:
     I never see Guajillo chili powder, but can always get them dried. I use dried guajillo/ancho/chille de Arbol in my Texas style chili.(no beans, no tomato). I put these dried chilis in a frying pan to wake them up. Then add water to reconstitute them. Finally blend the whole concoction and add to chili pot. Grinding those dried chilis for powder would not be too hard for those wanting to try this recipe with the reccomended peppers rather than a substitute.

Jim
    I've seen videos of people doing just that.  Apparently, they both use and know a lot more about peppers than we do.  But such peppers are rare to our menu here at home, so all we wanted to do was just follow the recipe as close as possible.  That may change after he suggested its use in other recipes.

None of the stores we went to (Kroger, H.E.B. and La Michoacana Meat Market) had dried or powdered Guajillo Chili's.  In fact, when we mentioned what we were making to the only person in the store who spoke English, she said to just use regular chili powder.  There was only one place left to try and it was just down the street in Old Town Spring.  And sure enough he not only had some powder in bulk for his spice products sold locally, nationally and internationally, he gave me some to use for my Street Corn.  So, not being one complicate my cooks any more than necessary, that's what I used.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Spring "This Is A Time For Learning About Peppers" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• thetrim
    Options
    @Spring ChickenThanks for sharing your video on here for Magnum loads.  They were loads of fun to make and were a huge hit at our place last night during our tribute to @badinfluence.  I will be making these again.
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Thank you for sharing.  Love trying out new cooks on the Egg.  You are always an inspiration!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Can't wait to the warmer months when we can get really good fresh corn here. That is a must do for me. Thanks for sharing. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    Great work and excellent write up, as usual.