Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hot dog chili

Options
A couple of years ago @RRP put up a chili recipe for hot dogs. I think it was from famous chili dog place. Its been awhile since I made it. Just kind a did a rough recipe from memory. Came out awesome. Topped with cheddar and pork rinds on a onion bun. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
Greenville Tx

Comments

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    I would dom that plate 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Well great- ate a little healthy tonight and now I'm starved. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    So just chili without beans. :fearful:
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 686
    Options
    Maybe @RRP could post it again? I've had some wonderful hot dog chilis before, but I haven't made any of them.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Also, pork rinds on a hot dog?  You're my hero. 
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Killer.  Love chili dogs
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Pork rinds?? Fvcking genius!!!

But I'm deducting points because I can't see any onions...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    The Varsitys World Famous Chili

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    It's Chuck Lane's recipe from years ago. CopyCat of The Varsity in Atlanta. Here's RRP's post about it...
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1456822/#Comment_1456822

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Was my phone busy?
    Nicely done sir!
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    @hotch maybe I texted you today and havnt heard back yet. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • texaswig
    Options
    @caliking these are the ones I used. Pretty good stuff.sorry @Wolfpack

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    edited January 2017
    Options
    This is not the one your looking for, but if you have ever been to Bham AL and had a beef dog, this is really close and good. Use it to top a regular dog. Similar to Sneaky Pete's original sauce.

Your Chili dogs look awesome!

HOT DOG SAUCE

½ Cup Heinz Ketchup

1 ½ Cups Water

½ Tsp Granulated Garlic

½ Tsp Onion Powder

½ Allspice Powder

½ Tsp Oregano

½ Tsp Paprika

½ Tsp Chili Powder

½ Tsp Cumin

½ Tsp Red Wine Vinegar

1 Tsp Corn Starch

1/8 Red Pepper

• gonepostal
    Options
    caliking said:
    Pork rinds?? Fvcking genius!!!

But I'm deducting points because I can't see any onions...
    or mustard!!
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Nice work.  I must pile on the excitement for the pork rinds!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • texaswig
    Options
    @gonepostal no onion. I had some that didn't look so swell. But there is mustard. 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I hear @northGAcock makes a pretty good hot dog chili.  =)

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    So just chili without beans. :fearful:
    Hahaha. It was inevitable. 

Standing by for recipe. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Looks friggin good.  My initial feelings were horror as I thought you had made chili using hotdogs.
    Options
    @nolaegghead I've seen that chili made from hot dogs on diner and drive in's or other show. 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Looks friggin good.  My initial feelings were horror as I thought you had made chili using hotdogs.
    There's an unusual type of hot dog chili in Flint, MI, where they call chili dogs "Coney Island" hot dogs, and for those who grew up there, they are wonderful, can't be beat.  There's some rivalry between Detroit and Flint as to whose Coney Islands are the best.  The meat is mostly beef heart, I believe, but for "ex pats" who no longer live in Flint but miss those Coney Islands, there are many recipes around for attempts to duplicate that chili.  And (at long last the point -- sorry), many of those recipes include ground up hot dogs!

Flint's Coney Island Chili doesn't taste as "beefy" as chili made with regular ground beef, and I think that's why people have tried adding ground up hot dogs to it, because it makes it taste less beefy.  Years ago, I tried several recipes, and tried adding ground pork to see if that would help, but it didn't, really.  And the recipes with ground up hot dogs actually were pretty good.

But finally I ordered some of the chili mix used as a base, at least, in Flint Coney Island restaurants, and it's mostly beef heart, and, with some added seasonings, it's clearly "the right stuff."

Anyway, just wanted to say that I've actually made hot dog chili with ground beef and ground up hot dogs in it, and it was actually pretty good!
  • texaswig
    edited January 2017
    Options
    @Theophan I've never done it . I do think that not browning the meat just boiling it with water and let it reduce with the spices is kinda what sets it apart from regular chili. 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    I hear @northGAcock makes a pretty good hot dog chili.  =)
    Here is mine. It is really quite simple....and quite good. I make in large batches, freeze in portions for tailgating..

1 Lb Pork sausage
    1 LB Ground Beef (lean)
    1 Small onion chopped
    2 Tbs. Chili powder
    2 Tbs Yellow mustard
    6 Tbs. Catchup
    2 Cups Water

Brown meat then add remaining ingredients. Cover and cook for 45 minutes.

Enjoy!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
     I use "Chef John's" simple chili like meat sauce for Coney Dogs. As mentioned above, cooking the meat in the water rather than browning first changes the taste. Also if you work it hard enough early it becomes a really finely textured topping. I think all hot dog chili should be rather fine grind. Eating chili on the other hand very course or even chunked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aDZ0yT5agM

Jim
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • dopey
    dopey Posts: 201
    Options
    Add nutmeg.  Sounds crazy, but Capitol Lunch from my near hometown of New Britain CT puts that in their chili and it adds that je ne sais quoi you can't get from the savory spices.
    What I do when I'm black out drunk is none of my business...

John Central CT
  • texaswig
    Options
    @dopey I could probably see that. 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    dopey said:
    Add nutmeg.  Sounds crazy, but Capitol Lunch from my near hometown of New Britain CT puts that in their chili and it adds that je ne sais quoi you can't get from the savory spices.
    Jenna said what?

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    dopey said:
    nutmeg with a hint of allspice is what i like
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Budgeezer
    Budgeezer Posts: 669
    Options
    Made the chili last night, turned out great.
    Edina, MN

• setdahook
    setdahook Posts: 284
    Options
    OK thatso just plan mean as I friggin love hot dogs!