Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT--Low carb fried food--OT

Options
SmokeyPitt
SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
I wanted to share this technique I found on some keto recipe site for low carb fried food. It is quite simple, you just used crushed pork skins for the breading.  I made it in an air fryer (liar fryer) and the finished product was surprisingly good. I think it would work well using real frying or an oven (convection if available).

One tip is the chicharrones need to be ground pretty fine.  Next time I may use a food processor or a rolling pin on the bag.

Coat the food in an egg wash, roll around in the crushed skins, and fry. My results with chicken tenders and fried pickles are shown below. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

Comments

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    The pork skins kind of gross me out when crushing them. The smell is nasty to me. I normally use shredded coconut. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• SmokeyPitt
    Options
    The pork skins kind of gross me out when crushing them. The smell is nasty to me. I normally use shredded coconut. 
    @bhedges1987 - I can see that. Rinds aren't for everyone! I like the coconut idea as well.  

Another one I might try is Parmesan cheese. I found some "Parm Crisps" that are just baked Parmesan cheese.  You can also make your own but I haven't tried it. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    @bhedges1987 - I can see that. Rinds aren't for everyone! I like the coconut idea as well.  

Another one I might try is Parmesan cheese. I found some "Parm Crisps" that are just baked Parmesan cheese.  You can also make your own but I haven't tried it. 
    Costco sells Parmesan chips that they make in house. They're delicious dipped in hummus.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,359
    Options

My wife made some the other day and they were awesome. She sprinkled a little garlic in there too. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• SmokeyPitt
    Options

Costco sells Parmesan chips that they make in house. They're delicious dipped in hummus.
    Good to know- thanks! I have been eating the Parm Crisp brand with spinach artichoke dip.