Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump to Wood Ratio

Options
Attempted my first smoke on the new egg w/ a 3lb boneless butt. I didn't have any trouble maintaining temperature throughout the cook, however wasn't able to get the desired smoke I thought I would have. I didn't have as much hickory chunks as I thought. Started with a layer of lump, then 3-4 pieces (approx. 2"x2" ) soaked, more lump, then soaked chips on top. Pulled butt @ 152 then let rest for 30 mins in foil before attempting to pull for tacos. Where did I go wrong? Whats the ideal of ratio of lump to wood?

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Don't soak your chunks. with dome closed they will not flame and burn and they will start smoking sooner. Don't bother with chips on longer cooks.
    Cook your pork longer if you want to "pull/shred" it. normally around 200 internal.
    Start with a larger butt. 7-9 pounds. 3 is kinda small.
    Pulling at 152 it was more like a small pork roast for slicing.
    Keep trying and google pulled pork for more tips.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    And as above, for pulled pork you need top get up to the low 200's*F.  Give the search function here a look or add big green egg to a google query.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    I put my chunks (about same size quantity and size as you) on top of the charcoal. Not sure why but I do.  I agree with what Photo said above.  Bigger butt and search for Turbo Butt here.  
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    I don't spread the wood out that much.  I put it on top, right where the fire has started so all chunks or chips start to smoke.  I'd bet if you dig through your lump, you'll find that most of the chunks you put in are still unburnt.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• DS_14
    DS_14 Posts: 9
    Options
    Thanks for the feed back guys!

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I use about 6 chunks, fist sized for long low and slows mixed rather closely to the fire source within the lump. Works excellent.
    As stated above, no need to soak your smokewood, it just hampers the process. If wood would absorb water, they never would manufacture boats out of it. Soaking has little or no positive effect on smoldering for flavor.
    Welcome aboard, wait for the bad smoke to clear, add wood chunks and enjoy.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • pab
    pab Posts: 273
    Options
    If you spent much time around the egg while the butt was on you may have become desensitized to the smoke. Try some of the leftovers out of the fridge and you may find it is smokier than you originally thought. I usually use three pieces of peach and two pieces of pecan when I smoke two butts that weigh approximately 20 pounds.
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    I usually throw 2 or 3 handfuls of chips in and then give the lump a stir with my ash tool to mix it in, then I place 3 or so chunks right on the edges of the fire right before I put the butt/brisket on
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf