Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How much food for 50-people

Starting to plan a party to celebrate my son earning Eagle Scout.  He requested brisket and pulled pork.  Pork butt is easy as I can crank out 6 at a time in my XL with 2-tier and it saves really well.  I can't remember how many poeple a full, 15-pound brisket will feed.  Thoughts?  Any other "big chunks of meat" that are a crowd pleaser and can be done in advance?  
--Dave from Leesburg, VA BGE XL, Viking 42", Firepit with $16 grill

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,322
    A good rule of thumb is about 50% yield for the above proteins.  So then with your crowd of 50 sort out the kids, women and men numbers.  Figure around 1/2 lb for the men, less for the women and I would have dogs and/or burgers for the kids.  
    All above said, a 15 lb brisket (going with about 13 lbs post-trim) will yield about 7  lbs of meat.  Depending on how you slice it you can likely feed around 15 +/- adults. 
    I would skip the brisket (or save it for an after celebration) and go all pulled pork-much easier cook and eliminates a choice factor.   Sides will reduce the protein intake.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DaveM
    DaveM Posts: 100
    @lousubcap, did my wife talk to you this morning?  That is pretty much what she suggested :-)  I just love brisket :-)
    --Dave from Leesburg, VA BGE XL, Viking 42", Firepit with $16 grill
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,322
    I'm with you on brisket cooks (especially) and eats.  It was quite the call ;)  I would follow her guidance and suggestions.  Back to the cook, I am all in favor of eliminating  choice when you can as that makes it much easier to plan.
    Congratulations to your Eagle Scout son.  That is a fraternity that is held is the highest regard.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.