Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- for anyone thinking about getting a stick burner...OT

Options
lousubcap
lousubcap Posts: 32,391
edited January 2017 in Off Topic
If anyone here is thinking about getting a stick burner, I will offer that is a totally different animal.  The BGE is an air-flow driven machine so the amount of oxygen feeding the fire is restricted to control fire volume and temperature.  Stick burners run with essentially full on air-flow and manage the quantity of burning wood to control temperature.  In my brief experience, the larger the cooking chamber the easier it is to maintain a relatively constant temperature.  I base the preceding on the relatively small rig that I have which has a low margin for wood feeding error.
If you are wanting to play with and tend the fire then by all means go for it.  Your smokey sweat shirt will definitely become even more enhanced.  Time to throw on more wood.
Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    I agree cap, playing with fire, is rewarding.
    Caught myself several times this weekend, enjoying the smell of burning cherry wood.  A different animal for sure.  
    Any pics of your pit, or today's cook?

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Still like my old cheap Chargriller when I want to smell good wood smoke....
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Focker said:
    Caught myself several times this weekend, enjoying the smell of burning cherry wood.  A different animal for sure.  

You don't understand how good cherry wood smells until you are actually burning it in a stick burner!! SO GOOD.  So does pecan.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• bhedges1987
    Options
    How are you liking the lang?  Mine loved to run at 275-300.  Extremely steady temps for not even being good at it.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• lousubcap
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I did post a pic several months ago when running the initial seasoning process- but haven't (and won't) since as it is outside my parameters for the cooking aspect of the forum.  My wood supplier is primarily cherry and that was today's cook.  Hoping for some pecan in the late spring.  
    Edit:  I am definitely having fun trying to dial the wood feed and the cook temps.  I find it is quite sensitive to the fire volume but that's as I figured with the size of the cook chamber.  Definitely lends itself to the supervisory beverages.  Thanks for asking.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Focker
    Options
    Focker said:

You don't understand how good cherry wood smells until you are actually burning it in a stick burner!! SO GOOD.  So does pecan.
    The apple and mulberry I have in the pile sits around and collects bugs.  Will be hard to try hickory or oak from my wood guys this season.  Cherry is my go to, hands down....intoxicating. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    edited January 2017
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I did post a pic several months ago when running the initial seasoning process- but haven't (and won't) since as it is outside my parameters for the cooking aspect of the forum.  My wood supplier is primarily cherry and that was today's cook.  Hoping for some pecan in the late spring.  
    Edit:  I am definitely having fun trying to dial the wood feed and the cook temps.  I find it is quite sensitive to the fire volume but that's as I figured with the size of the cook chamber.  Definitely lends itself to the supervisory beverages.  Thanks for asking.
    Pecan would be legit.  If I were down south, mesquite would be worth a look too.  Kind of nice, how the harsher woods are fair game, with a bigger fire. 

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I LOVE wood smoked 'que. There's a stick burner shaped hole in my heart, but I've chosen to hold off on filling it for a while. Life is busy with a wee one running around, and I don't have the luxury of tending a fire for long periods right now.

I've eyed the dishwasher/Karubecue longingly, but... must... resist...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    I want a Lang. While I absolutely love my Egg (s), the best Q I ever had came off a stick burner. For the life of me, as hard as I've tried I just can't duplicate the stick burner Q on an egg. I'm also thinking about a KBQ also. 
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I got a deal with a truckload of Michigan cherry a couple years ago. It was stored indoors, harvested live, split in perfect sections for pit Q. I wanted to give it to my BIL for his cooker.
    My Beautiful Wife and I left for the weekend to have some fun together in Nashville.
    When we got back, it was all gone.
    Our children said they and their friends loved the smell of that wood, and could we get more?
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    One other thing that gives me pause about stick burners is the cost of friggin firewood in my area.  I imagine it might cost $20-$30 to cook some butts or brisket if I couldn't find a better source.  Although I have never run a stick burner so I'm not sure exactly how much it burns.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• YukonRon
    Options
    I get that the stick burners are the epitome for the serious Q cookers. I have had food off their rigs, and enjoyed immensely. However, for me, friends and family, my egg turns out pretty darn good food too. I am not ready to step up just yet, until I master these cooks. Still learning and experimenting.
    Maybe one day. I will let 'Cap take the lead, figure it out, then learn from the master.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    I got a deal with a truckload of Michigan cherry a couple years ago. It was stored indoors, harvested live, split in perfect sections for pit Q. I wanted to give it to my BIL for his cooker.
    My Beautiful Wife and I left for the weekend to have some fun together in Nashville.
    Our children said they and their friends loved the smell of that wood, and could we get more?
    @YukonRon Not sure if I'd be upset or not, but it does hurt to know it's all gone!
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • YukonRon
    Options
    RedSkip said:
    YukonRon said:
    @YukonRon Not sure if I'd be upset or not, but it does hurt to know it's all gone!
    I love our children, but at that moment, it was just a tiny bit less. But, hey, it was going to be a gift anyway, and they did not know. I was more mad at myself. If I do not think, I can't expect them to do it for me.
    Neighbors were amazed at the bonfire though, we were told.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @SmokeyPitt -  you may want to stop at a local Q place and ask where they source their wood.  I got a lead via that route.  I paid $100 for a rick of cherry delivered.  Eyeballing, I have gone thru somewhere around 35-40% of it with around 10 cooks or so-about $4/cook is close enough for me.  FWIW-
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I was looking a cabinet style like @SGH 's Vault.
    But now I have seen my future and it has a Shirley Fab 24x42 Straight back w/warmer on a trailer on the horizon!
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    I would love to have on some day but I don't have a reliable wood source that I trust.

Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• bhedges1987
    Options
    Yeah I got mine off craigslist.  Paid $100 for true 1/2 cord of cherry, which is a TON of wood.  You would need a log splitter or something though to make smaller sizes.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    You can burn charcoal too, or combination can't you?
  • bhedges1987
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Ya either. I start with coal to get a nice bed. Switch to wood when I put the food on and stick with wood the rest of the cook. 

2 pieces of pecan to every piece of cherry is where it's at!

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• Focker
    edited January 2017
    Options
    You would be surprised what is out there, when you start looking for it.
    Yeah, CL is good.  Found some apple cheap.  Missed out on a free pear tree by hours.

Also scored an epic hookup through the local fireplace business.  Owner encouraged me to bring my bigger boxed Chevy on the next run, same price.  Good guys, they even stacked it nice in the truck, and wanted to keep going to pile it up

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    KBQ starts with a chimney of lump.  I add meat when I know the embers are wood.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    You have a Coexist bumper sticker?
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Sticks are really fun. Flavor is better for a lot more work. Most won't appreciate or notice though.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    Options
    Will wild cherry wood work as well? I have white and red oak on my place, as well as hickory and wild cherry. Too bad bad locust and sweet gum are no good, plenty of that, too. KBQ in near future!
     1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia
  • bhedges1987
    Options
    rifrench said:
    Will wild cherry wood work as well? I have white and red oak on my place, as well as hickory and wild cherry. Too bad bad locust and sweet gum are no good, plenty of that, too. KBQ in near future!
    Wild cherry is great! 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• bhedges1987
    Options

rifrench said:
    Not a big fan of red or white oak. Red oak reminds me of camp fires and white oak is so subtle. Hickory and wild cherry will do fine!

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• DaveRichardson
    Options

After seeing "The Grocery Cart" on here from @thatgrimguy, I'm in the boat with @Hotch and am in for a Shirley.  I'm a few years out from placing my order......

Down here in GA, there's pecan all over.  I get pieces for my pulled pork smokes from a friend down the road a few miles that still has his family pecan business; they are having to cull branches all the time.  Some of their trees are massive; I drool every time I see them!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Focker
    Options
    rifrench said:
    Yes, it smells wonderful.  That is what's in the truck.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    You have a Coexist bumper sticker?
    Yes.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities